My Jack | Teen Ink

My Jack

By skylark98 SILVER, Rowley, Massachusetts
skylark98 SILVER, Rowley, Massachusetts

“[Writing about themselves] gives them wings, so that they can rise above the confounding maze of their lives and, from that perspective, begin to see the patterns and dead ends of their pasts, and a way out."
- Wally Lamb

All I want is him. I want to see my wonderful, smart, laughing, Jack. My Jack. It feels so good to say that, even if not aloud. I miss him with every nerve in my body, we’ve been apart for so long I’m beginning to forget what his laugh sounds like. Or how his hands feel when I hold them.

When he finally called me last night we talked for hours. About school and summer and life. But especially about us. I feel as if, when we discuss our futures, we are reaching towards the almost possible and I’m afraid that if we reach too far we will fall. And if we fall into that abyss no amount of flailing will be enough to catch us.

He has no idea how much he means to me. That right now, if given the opportunity, I would like no better than to fly into his arms, hear his laugh, grab his hands and never let go. I would kiss him on the lips and speak all the unspoken words between us. I want him to wrap his arms around me; for there is no safer place in the world.

But, distance separates us and binds us to our nearly possibles. But always I am reaching, reaching for my Jack.

This is about a guy who I've been friends with for a long time and we used to date. It's about how we want to date again but are too far away for it to be possible.