The Book and the Apple | Teen Ink

The Book and the Apple

By ElsinorRavenwood PLATINUM, Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Other
ElsinorRavenwood PLATINUM, Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Other

"In Spain there was Guernica! But here, there was only hot swing music and liquor, dance halls, ban and movies, and sex that hung in the gloomlike a chandelier and flooded the world with brief, deceptive rainbows." ~Tom Wingfield, The Glass Menagerie

'I love him. I really do. I don't know why he doesn't love me back. I try so hard to be good enough for him, but obviously I'm not. I have never tasted his lips on mine and I never will. I have never felt his hand grasp for mine and I never will.'
As Marie wrote this in her journal, she knew it was true. There was no way he would love her. Even if he did, would he say anything? She doubted it. She put her journal down on the table next to her lunch.
"I have to go to the washroom, could you watch this for me?" she asked Jacob. He nodded.
"Wait, does that mean I have reading rights?" he asked. Marie laughed.
"No."
"But I want to know all your secrets!" he said. Marie shook her head.
"It's okay, I'll watch it," said Daniel. Marie's heart was in her throat. Could she really leave it in the hands of the person she was just writing about?
"Okay," she said. She left.
"Daniel, let me see the book. She'll never know," said Jacob.
"No," said Daniel, biting into his apple. Jacob reached across the table for the book. Daniel dropped the apple to the ground and leapt forward in an effort to get Marie's journal away from Jacob. He pulled it from Jacob's grasp, but it fell open on the table. Daniel saw exactly what Marie had written.
'I really like Daniel. I love him. I really do. I don't know why he doesn't love me back. I try so hard to be good enough for him, but obviously I'm not. I have never tasted his lips on mine and I never will. I have never felt his hand grasp for mine and I never will.'
He snapped the book shut just as Marie came around the corner.
"I trusted you!" She cried, running from the table with her book in hand. Daniel was shocked. Was that really how she felt about him? Like she wasn't good enough? He thought he wasn't good enough for her!
"Marie, wait!" He cried, running after her. He caught up to her.
"I love you too," he said. She looked up at him with wide eyes.
"How can I trust you, you looked in my book," she said, sniffing.
"I was trying to get it away from Jacob and it fell out on the table. I really like you, Marie. You are too good for me. But if you'll have me-"
She cut him off.
"Yes!"
He kisses her and they walked back to the table. Jacob had picked up Daniel's apple and was eating it.
"This is a good apple," he said. Daniel glared at him.
"Go away Jacob," he said. Jacob opened his mouth to argue, but his two friends just pointed to the door of the lunch room. Silently, Jacob went.
"So now that that jerk is gone, where were we?" said Daniel. Marie laughed.

If you'd like me to write more, please comment.