I am Lost (Chapter One) | Teen Ink

I am Lost (Chapter One)

By ForeverYours_Breezy PLATINUM, Dickinson, Texas
ForeverYours_Breezy PLATINUM, Dickinson, Texas

"Things may happen. Good and bad, but you must keep moving forward. Don't stop and look back at the past. You may regret it. It could bring you more pain. Look at the present and everything will be okay in the end."

As I lay there thinking of everything, I feel the wind blowing around me. “Why do we have to be so far but so close?” that question plus more run through my head. “Hey, Julie.” I look up at my best friend, Aaron. “Hai.” “What’s on your mind today?” “Everything. What’s up with you? You came here for no reason.” “It is a public park, Jules.” “Whatever and you hate coming outside unless you are going to play volleyball.” “That’s true and I was walking around.” “For what person this time?” “His name is Nathan and you know him.” “Oh, yeah.” “I was on my way to his house and saw you. I better get going. See you later.”
I slowly walk into school, looking for Cameron. He is another one of my best friends except I have known him longer. Cameron is awesome and in love with our other best friend Ryan. Ryan is your typical bad boy player except in reality he is gay. I have known Ryan longer than anybody else. When we were younger, he made me model clothes he designed. “Jules, there you are. Did you hear the news?” “What news?” “Aaron and Nathan are dating.” I am happy for her but why can’t I get a boyfriend. Why does every guy want to date her instead of me? I mean yeah, she is the captain of the volleyball team and cheerleading but that’s all. Yes, she is beautiful but so am I. I am the co-captain of the football team, captain of the math club, and the president of the video production and writing stuff. I am in a lot of stuff but it keeps me busy and far away from home.
School flies by with a blur. I just sat there and starred at the clock. Everyone was just reviewing for our first big test coming up but I wasn’t worried, I usually ace those things. “Jules, want to come over and pick outfits for Nathan’s party this Friday?” “He is having a party?” “Yea, so want to hang out?” “I can’t. My mom will kill me if I don’t come right after school.” “Ok bye.” With that Aaron walks away towards Nathan and his friends. It’s sad that she can’t see I am lying. It’s true if I don’t go home right now, my mom will kill me but I never follow her rules. She isn’t even my real mom. My parents died when I was twelve so I got foster parents. My foster family hate me with a passion.

“Devon, are you home?” “Yep, I am here. I just got home. Mom is looking for you.” Devon is ,why are you home late?” “It is a long walk from school to here. You went into my room last right and stole my car keys. Which you have no right to touch because you didn’t give me that. I got it from my parents.” “I have every right.” “No you don’t.” “Whatever, guess you need to start running home.” “I will not run unless it’s during football practice or I want to run.” She walks straight up to me and slaps me. I stare at her and run up to my room. I hate her a lot. All she ever does is insult me and hit me. She never does any of that to Devon because he is a perfect child. Even if she tried to hit him. I would hit her instead.

I throw stuff across my room, looking for something important. “Where the hell is it?” I see something shine in my low lit room. “Thank the lord. I found it.” I roll up my sleeve and stare down at my arm. I have been cutting since before my parents died. When I was nine, I lost one of my best friends. His name was Kayden, Ryan was his cousin. So that’s how we met. I slowly slide the razor across my arm. Blood drips onto my legs. It flows slowly since I have done it a lot.

I tug at my sleeves as I head to my car. We live outside of the city but in a small town surrounding it. So, I still get to go to the high school for the city kids. I am simply wearing shorts, hoodie, beanie, my nerd glasses, and my black converse. “Julie, hey. Can you give me a lift?” “Um, sure.” “Thanks, Julie.” “You’re welcome, Dayson.” Dayson lives next door and is on my football team. The air around us is awkward. I usually don’t talk to most of the offense side. I only talk to the defense side because I am a defense end.
We arrive at school ten awkward minutes later. “I really am thankful for you driving me to school, Julie. I also love your car but I mainly go for trucks.” “You’re welcome and cool.” I grab my bag and walk away towards Cameron who is in shock. “Is that Dayson?” “Yep.” “Dayson, cousin of Kacey?” “Yep.” “She is cruel.” Kacey is co-captain of the cheerleaders. Aaron and she don’t get along at all. So, Kacey is captain of junior cheerleaders. While Aaron is captain of the varsity cheerleaders. “We better get to class.”
Lunch arrives finally. I run to the lunch room. Cameron closely closing in on me. I take a turn and run towards a table but instead of landing in a chair, I slip. “Help.” I look up to see who had caught me. “Dayson?” “I saved your life. Well, I saved you from embarrassment.” I stand up and dust myself off. Cameron runs over to me. “Thanks for saving her. Bye now.” He pulls me away towards our table in the corner. “You can’t be caught talking to him or Kacey will come after you.” “I don’t really care anymore. If she wants to fight then I will give her one and she will regret it because I am awesome. You haven’t seen me fight. I used to be in a fighting club and I was a champion. I fought against guys.” Cameron just shakes his head and eats his lunch.

After school, I slowly walk towards my car. “I heard you’re coming Nathan’s party.” “Why do you care?” “I don’t know. I guess I was wondering if we could go together.” “Are you being serious?” “Yeah, why we are friends?” “Yeah, we are. I guess it couldn’t hurt.” “I will see you there then.” Dayson runs off towards the football field. I grab my gym bag and rush off to the field. “Just change into workout clothes, today.” I slip on my tank and shorts.

“Partner up and let’s see how fast you are.” I look around for Daniel, defense end like. “Guess we are partners.” Dayson smiles at me and hands me the stop watch. “Guess we are.” I see Daniel talking to some guard. He looks at me and mouths,” Dayson wanted you two to be partners.” I shrug my shoulders and yell,” Go.” Dayson takes off.

Time ticking as my heart beats outside of my chest. My legs burn but I have to keep going. Dayson bet that I couldn’t beat his workout time which is the school’s record. Everybody knows I can beat it during practice but workout I usually don’t try that hard. A couple feet left, time racing. I run across the finish line and stare at my couches. Daniel tosses me water bottle. “Wow, you were so close. You beat his time by five seconds.” “Dayson, you can win by a mile or inch. It doesn’t matter, winning is winning.” “Did you seriously just quote Fast and Furious?” “Yeah.”

I get home with excitement. Coach said he might let me the kicker for this game since I am a fast runner and I can kick farther than anybody else on the team. Devon meets me at the door. “How was practice?” “Awesome, I beat the schools record for workout running.” “Whose record did you beat?” “Dayson.” Devon looks at me in shock. Devon and Dayson are friends. Dayson helps him with his football skills. I would help but I’m not a wide receiver.

There is a knock on my door. My foster family took Devon to his football game. I couldn’t go because they didn’t want me to. I open the door to reveal Dayson holding flowers. “Can I help you?” “Somewhat. Oh, here. These are for you.” I take the flowers and set them down on my desk. “Anything else?” “Um, I was wondering if you would like to hang out.” “Right now?” “Yeah, is that a problem?” “No, but I was going to pick my outfit out for tomorrow night.” “Oh ok, I will leave you to it.” I grab Dayson’s arm and accidently fall onto the ground. He takes my hand and pulls me up. Our bodies are now touching. I feel my checks heating up in the moment but so are his. We both pull apart from each other. “Want to go shooting?” “I would love to.”

This is only chapter one. Chapter two will be open as soon as they approve it.