The Snares of Love | Teen Ink

The Snares of Love

By ShirleyS SILVER, Oakton, Virginia
ShirleyS SILVER, Oakton, Virginia

She. She was beautiful.

And her presence- was like sunshine to me. I had basked gratefully and joyfully in her sunlight. However, the sun soon set, and she was gone and away.

At first, I did not know what I did wrong. She told me that she was tired of endeavoring to salvage our dead relationship. She said that my indifference consumed all her energy to love- me. I remember standing there, confused and distraught. I could not utter a word to contradict her, because her words struck me so suddenly and so powerfully. Afterwards, she walked away without a trace of hesitation, abandoning me in the eye of the storm.

For the first few weeks, I was okay to some extent. I ate as normal and slept as normal. The bed where she used to lie was empty, like the half of my heart seemed to be, but I was alright. At least on the outside, nobody could tell anything was wrong.

Nevertheless, shortly afterwards, I was nearly driven towards delusion. I felt like I would turn into the ill Catherine shortly before plummeting to her pitiful death in Wuthering Heights. I missed my girl so much and wanted her back in my arms, but she was gone. She had gone back to Korea, probably thinking that it would be an expedient way to resolve her feelings for me. I wonder if she knew that it was not an expedient way at all to resolve my feelings for her.

I tried to contact her through phone, but she would not answer. Social networking did not work, either. It was a continuum of blatant ignorance on her part and feverish imploring on mine.

Usually before I went to bed, I would spend hours with eyes wide open, pondering over what I would say to her if she gave me the chance. ‘I am sorry,’ I would say. ‘For all that I have done. No, for all that I have not done. I took your love, your presence for granted and now look at what a miserable piece of s*** I am. I have learned my lesson, and I will learn to fix whatever mistakes I made in the past.’

But she never gave me the chance. She moved on with her new life in Korea, and I have never heard of anything about her ever since. At night, now I stopped thinking about what I would say to her for her to take me back. What used to be feelings of hope morphed into hatred and animosity, and finally, into complete indifference. Sometimes, I would go through a day without thinking of her at all. No, that would be a lie. Each day, I would think about her at least once. By indifference, I meant that the resentment I had for her was to an extent, expunged. The amber of what was left of the warm feelings that I had left towards her was probably not so much eradicated. However, it was just enough for me to engage in new relationships. For the most part, I had moved on, or I thought I had.

Only she had to come back to intrude on my life.

“Hi,” she smiled before me. “Long time no see.”

I stared at her, dumbfounded. I thought she had despised me, and yet, here she was again. Well, at least this would now provide some closure to this previously unfinished business. Either kill the snake with stone or water the moribund plant back to life. It was her choice, and my fate lay on the palm of her small hand.