Protection | Teen Ink

Protection

July 7, 2014
By Anonymously_Creative BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
Anonymously_Creative BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes, the realest things in this world are the things we can't see." -The Polar Express
We are given one spark of madness. You mustn't lose it -Robin Williams
My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations. -John Green


Protection

He opened the door to see her standing in the middle of the room, crying. In a sudden rush, he moved to comfort her, but she offered nothing but a cold shoulder. It was his fault; it was always his fault. He never meant to hurt her. He did love her after all. Somehow, Bryel was just always hurt in the end. He never understood what he did, but there was always something. He had come to find that Bryel couldn’t be left alone. Maybe that was why she stood crying today. Bryel was always under the belief that she didn’t deserve Drew. She always thought there was a better girl who would come around and steal his heart.
“D-Drew.” Her weak voice stumbled out. The tears on her face were slowly drying, leaving an obvious trail behind. He didn’t understand what he had done, but by the time she had finished, he caught sight of it. She had found what he had been hiding for so long. “Why is this here?” She asked, tears threatening to spill over again.
He may be a famous rock star, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have everyday problems. Bryel had found his secrets yet again. She had found yet another love letter. He couldn’t get away with anything when she was around. It hurt him to know that he was the reason she cried, but what could he do? It was almost as if she had become afraid of Drew and his emotions, more so than his actions.
“I’m sorry Bryel.” He moved to embrace her but she avoided it, laying the small paper on the desk and turning to the door. She pressed quickly towards it, swinging it open, and leaving him to stand in the middle of the room alone. He stared at the closed door, trying to remember what had happened, what had changed between them.
She used to love him wholeheartedly, though her shy demeanor helped in hiding it. He used to be open about how he felt. He loved her and wouldn’t take no for an answer. He dragged her with her best friend on a three month whirlwind tour. She showed him things he would have never known if she wasn’t there. They were inseperable. Now they watched mindlessly as their relationship shattered like glass.
He wanted to be able to show her how much he loved her. She never did anything wrong. He grabbed the letter and ran after her.
She wished she had known what she had done wrong. She walked in the rain, holding an umbrella loosely over her head. The note was a love letter, written by another girl specifically for Drew. This was the third in a month. She knew he would get notes with affection stapled into the pages from fans, but this was different. These letters were of the sort that one lover writes to another. The girls weren’t just admiring fans. Bryel knew better.
He had replied to them. She had seen them waiting in the mailbox when she checked before the mailman had delivered. He had been cheating on her for months, but each time it seemed a different girl had sent the letters. Her faith in him was finally dwindling, but it also dwindled in herself.
Why aren’t I good enough for him? Did I do something wrong? I didn’t mean to. Her thoughts ran along these lines as she stood at a crosswalk, waiting for the light to change so she could move herself further away. It was strange how she used to want nothing more than to be at his side, but now all she wanted was to be as far from him as possible.
The rain grew heavier and with the sound of thunder in the distance, she ducked into the nearest café, ordering a small coffee and sitting by the window. The rain was beginning to flood the street, leaving cars to drive slowly in the downpour.
Drew sprinted after her mindlessly without direction. He knew that the note hurt her to read, but as strange as it seems, he only wanted to protect Bryel. He didn’t want the people to know about her. She was his little secret. The letters and the notes from “anonymous” women kept the media attention on him, hiding her from the public for just a short time longer.
The rain grew heavier, thunder becoming a shout in the city. Lightning was enough to light the city as the storm drew closer, but he had to find her before she got away from him. He knew this would be the last time if she was able to escape again. Bryel was never any good at hiding from him, but this time she had a head start. She could catch a cab and be out of the city limits within a few minutes. If that was the case, he had lost her for good.
The lights in the coffee shop flickered, a warning sign that the power was close to going out. Bryel decided it best to leave, before everything would go black in the store. Stepping out of the small corner shop, she was met with a desperately flooded road and a soaked sidewalk. She sighed, her converse now soaked through. Still, she was wishing she knew what to do, how to get away from Drew once again.
He turned a corner, getting soaked as he ran in the rain. His heart beat raced, making it feel as if his heart would hammer straight through his chest. His breath was short and quick, rainwater rushing into his lungs at different moments, making him cough to keep from drowning in the rain. That was never how the hero in a story should go down, and it wouldn’t be for him either.
She turned back towards home, hoping he wouldn’t be there when she got back. Bryel followed her typical path, watching her feet as she jumped in the puddles, pretending to be young again. She might as well; her feet were soaked anyway. It was better to help herself forget.
Drew spotted her, playing in a rain puddle and dancing to the next. “Bryel!” He shouted over the thundering sounds of the storm. She looked up, shock coming over her face, but a mixture of anger and regret quickly replacing it.
“What are you doing here?” She shouted, watching his figure through the dismal atmosphere.
“I’m looking for you.” He moved closer to her, silently hoping she wouldn’t turn and run again.
“Why? I know what that note is. You don’t even care anymore.” Her words stung, but he knew the note pained her more. He dropped it, letting the rainwater make the ink run, the handwriting no longer legible. He took another daring move closer to her.
“I do care. This is all just a scam to protect you. I love you.” He watched her as her anger became deeper, more obvious in her features.
“Why didn’t you tell me? I could have helped!” Bryel was becoming infuriated.
“I didn’t realize that trying to protect you would hurt you.” Drew sighed, knowing he had been defeated. “Look, I was wrong. These letters are all from my family. I don’t receive anonymous love letters. I’m sorry.” He embraced her, this time his advances were not rejected.
“Thank you.” Bryel whispered.
“You’re welcome. I only do it because I love you.” Drew smiled, hoping this meant that everything would be alright between them this time. “Could we try again?”
“I guess one more time never hurt anybody.”


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece based off of some previous novel characters. I really enjoyed the two as characters, so I decided I would write about what happens when Drew's media attention catches up with him.