Counting Our Breaths Until Tomorrow | Teen Ink

Counting Our Breaths Until Tomorrow

By ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania
ScarlettJ. DIAMOND, West Newton, Pennsylvania

"You are only confined by the walls you build around yourself." "Follow your heart, but take your brain with you." "You were born to be real, not to be perfect."

Every evening felt like a life-time as I sat cross legged next to Harley Kent. We sat far enough apart, as normal people do when they don't date, watching her favorite TV shows on the food network. Everyday we did the same things, either watching TV or walked the stone path behind her house. I never did care, as long as I was with her.
Harley let me push her down the path, her legs no longer able to move as she sat in her wheelchair. For such a breath-taking girl, one wonders what she did to get here. I never asked, and she never told me.
I was the only one that stuck around, she'd mumble to herself. Her hands, warm and soft would reach up and brush my face.
"Harley?" I'd asked that morning. She looked up from the TV to smile at me.
"Will you have dinner with me?" I asked.

Harley frowned, she never did like it when I talked like this. She hated being around the words "Love", or "Relationships." I pulled her hands into mine and said more quickly, "You know I love you. You are so-"
"Don't." She whispered, tears pricking her eyes. Those beautiful hazel eyes.
I touched her blond hair, cut short and growing to her cheeks.

"I love you, Harley, and I know you love me to." I whispered.

Harley shook her head, but I took her face roughly.
"You Do, I know you."

"How could you love me, a cripple?! I'm so sick of being such a... such a freak," she sobs.
I say," A freak? Aren't we all just a little bit odd? You honestly don't see yourself the way I see you."
I continue," You're so fragile, so kind. So lovely and different. You can take my breath away with your eyes, your smile."
She turns away and I let her, falling back into the couch and covering my face with a pillow.

"You animate the world around you with such beauty, wonder. Why can't you believe your more than a cripple?" I ask.

Harley turns to me then, eyes red with tears and she takes my hands.

"You know I don't have long. Why love someone whose going to die anyway?" She whispers.

I smile, sadly and reach across to lay my forehead against hers.

"I'll just have to start counting our breaths until tomorrow, I guess."

She laughs, finally smiling at me.

"Idiot, that makes no sense." She says.
I touch brush a kiss across her palm and laugh to.