A Painter's Dream | Teen Ink

A Painter's Dream

June 3, 2014
By Master_Dylan_Bishop GOLD, Beaumont, California
Master_Dylan_Bishop GOLD, Beaumont, California
13 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If I had a flower for every time I thought of you...I could walk through my garden forever.” ― Alfred Tennyson


"Wake up, my friend!" A sweet but stern voice awoke my soul. I rose to my feet and my body seemed to drag itself along as this slim figure guided me into the light. I tried to speak but my mouth seemed to be closed, I was forced into silence. This slim figure stopped and faced me, I looked up to identify the face of this slim figure. It was a woman… I think. This person had beautiful blond hair that flowed through the air for miles but it never touched the ground. "It must be a woman…" Her eyes were as beautiful and still as the Caribbean Sea. She offered me her hand and I accepted, our fingers became intertwined as she slowly took me down this golden path. She kept looking back at me with the brightest smile, I didn't know where we were going but I felt like I could trust her with all my heart. The path disappeared and I came to realize that the whole world around us was pure white, like a painter's untouched work. We suddenly came to a stop and she held up her index finger, gesturing for me to "wait". She let go of my hand and for a moment, I felt so afraid. The wind picked up and a small thunder cloud was forming in the white sky… She felt the fear in my heart and grabbed onto my hand again, she came close as she stared into my eyes… She didn't say anything but something told me it would be okay when she let go. When she did, my heart was calm and the whole world was calm with me. She gestured for me to "wait" again and I listened this time. She looked up into the sky and stretched her arms out to the Heavens as she opened up her mouth and began to sing. I stood there and watched, my eyes could not turn away from her, I felt that myself as a whole was at peace.

Right before my eyes, the white sky split open and the blinding sun came through. This woman moved her hands around in swift motions, she was guiding an orchestra… An orchestra of the world's creations. The color of the sky returned and the fluffy white clouds flowed over the forthcoming mountains in the distance. The woman pounded her fist into the white surface below and a small tree sprouted out, she spun in joy as the small tree appeared. She looked back up into the sky and whispered something which brought down a rainstorm. I was fearful again but she let our eyes meet, this calmed my soul until the rainstorm was finished. The sky was now clear of any clouds and the sun was setting but the whole world beneath my feet was still pure white. The woman giggled at my ignorance of this world and told me to watch the tree. I stared intensely at the tree but nothing happened, the wind had stopped and everything was quiet. I looked up at the woman again and she insisted that I put my focus back on the tree. When I looked a second time, the tree was fully grown. I was astonished! The woman let out an innocent giggle at my shocked facial expression, I'm sure. She studied me for a moment and then smiled as she decided to show me the rest of this white world.

The woman touched the tree and all the leaves fell down to the ground, my heart sank at the sight of the dying tree. She shook her head and confirmed that the tree was not dead. I watched her as she picked up the leaves and threw them into the air. The leaves not only returned to the tree but also split a part as they were taken away by the wind. The leaves in the wind took their place in the empty trees that were growing all around. The woman rubbed her hand across the flat white surface and soil appeared… She picked up the soil and examined it in curiosity. An idea struck in her mind as she took a hidden flower from her hair and rubbed the soil and flower together. She then blew them into the sky and watched as the they fell to the white surface. Immediately as the flower and the soil touched, the whole surface of this world exploded in a blanket of grass and various colors of daffodils. I couldn't move my body, I was so taken in by the gorgeous meadow. It had a hold on my heart.

The woman noticed me and let out a small cheer as she jumped in the air with joy. She grabbed my hand and pulled me underneath the branches of the tree. At first I wasn't sure what was happening but we just naturally came close together as she leaned her head on my shoulder. We gracefully started to move with the wind and tears began to fall from my eyes. My heart was overwhelmed by all the beauty in this world. The tears fell from my eyes like a rushing waterfall… I opened my eyes and just as I felt in my heart, I found myself in the middle of a rushing waterfall. I took my eyes off this woman and realized we were sinking, I panicked but this woman's eyes met with my eyes again. She assured me we were safe as she leaned in towards me and pressed her lips against mine. I closed my eyes as we sank and I felt safe… My whole world was at peace now… The waterfall, the meadow, the mountains, the sky, the woman… I dreamed of a world like this and now I finally had it. We sank all the way down and I opened my eyes to see her again but to my devastation…

I was met with a blank world again. I had passed out in my painting room, where the walls were blank and everything was so empty. Sweat dripped down my face and my hands were wet with paint. I was shaken up by all the emotions in my heart but I found myself scanning the room around me. I looked across the room and saw a painting on the wall, it was never there before. I somehow found the strength in myself to get up and approach the painting… Immediately, tears fell down from my eyes and my heart had a familiar peace again. The painting showed a man and a woman dancing under a tree as a waterfall fell to their left and a beautiful meadow was placed to their right, the sun shined through the leaves and behind that tree showed rocky mountains, followed by a clear blue sky with a tint of orange. I memorized the painting, it was so real to me… The longer I stared, I could feel that my stare was falling down until I realized that I was staring at my hands. These paint-drenched hands left me with one question, "Was this all a dream?"


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this story after I fell in love with a beautiful girl and then fell out of love... It goes through all the wonderful emotions and curiosity of love and then the sudden halt I experienced. I hope you may be taken in by the story and that it will paint a vivid picture in your mind.