My World | Teen Ink

My World

December 3, 2008
By Chelsea.Anne GOLD, D, Other
Chelsea.Anne GOLD, D, Other
17 articles 2 photos 9 comments

Headphones in, eyes closed. She swayed slightly and tapped her foot to the sound of the music in such a way that I could almost feel the beat inside me. She was across the street, sitting on a partially white bench with large spots where the paint had began to peel, revealing the natural wood. It was a cold day. The first truly cold day of the year. The sky was hazy overhead, threatening to burst open and sprinkle a dusting of early snow.
But she was dressed warm. Short hair peeking out underneath a black-knit cap, her delicate neck wrapped in an over-large blue scarf. She was stunning. She didn’t belong on the graffiti-covered, old gum-encrusted bench. But there she was, every morning at the same time, in that same spot, listening to music intently. The world was blurred around her, and she didn’t seem to notice it.
Some days she would bring a book with her. She was even more marvelous while concentrating, her head lowered, occasionally lifting her hand to tuck a loose strand of hair that had fallen in front of her face back into the hat.
The bus pulled up and I averted my eyes to look into the now luke-warm cup of black coffee. Without really thinking I took a sip, grimaced. I didn’t like warm coffee. The waitress was at the table now, looking across the street at the bus, one eyebrow raised. She asked me if I wanted her to refill my cup. I shook my head. She started to leave, then came back, her white tennis-shoe squeaking against the pea-soup colored tiles as she turned on her heel. She leaned forward, resting one hand on the table, the other on her hip. She looked slightly aged, perhaps from raising children, I guessed. But her eyes told a different story. They were large and youthful, deep brown.
“I see you in here every morning,” she said quietly, her eyes laughing like a child‘s. “Talk to her.” Her back was already turned to me before I could say anything, and I watched her disappear into the kitchen, then looked out the window. Too late. She was gone with the bus.
I pursed my lips and sighed, left the waitress a tip by the half-empty cold coffee. I gathered up my things, a ratty black computer bag full of paper and pens instead of a laptop, and the newspaper I had bought at a stand.
I tucked the newspaper under my arm and pushed open the glass door. The cold wind swirled against my face, kissing my cheeks red. My eyes focused on a flake of snow falling in front of me. I watched it, swirling slightly in the breeze, slowly until it touched the cracked sidewalk.
The world repositioned itself in front of me, suddenly covered in a whirlwind of white. I shoved my hands into my jacket pockets and started off down the street, drinking in the fresh scent that the new snow brought with it. Maybe tomorrow, I thought, turning the corner and leaving behind the little coffee shop.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 62 comments.


on Sep. 10 2017 at 11:59 am
Breezette DIAMOND, Uniontown, Arkansas
84 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
Every Time I even think of you, all those bad memories just fade away, 'cause your smile's enough, you're enough...

Agreed. It's perfect the way it is.

on Sep. 10 2017 at 11:57 am
Breezette DIAMOND, Uniontown, Arkansas
84 articles 0 photos 58 comments

Favorite Quote:
Every Time I even think of you, all those bad memories just fade away, 'cause your smile's enough, you're enough...

Well i think there's no suspense cause idk it's a romance. It's an amazing story, you are so talented. Keep writing. You guys should check out some of my work too.

HuntShot732 said...
on Oct. 27 2015 at 5:31 pm
HuntShot732, Thornton, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 15 comments
This is a beautiful piece. I love these stories, and home sometimes it doesn't always and happily ever after.

MADDO SILVER said...
on Oct. 27 2015 at 7:34 am
MADDO SILVER, MUMBAI, Other
7 articles 0 photos 37 comments
Totally agree with you, Meli

MADDO SILVER said...
on Oct. 27 2015 at 7:30 am
MADDO SILVER, MUMBAI, Other
7 articles 0 photos 37 comments
indeed... Amazing... i loved reading your story....beautiful piece of your work....romance stories always makes me feel great ;)goodluck!!!!

on Jan. 16 2015 at 1:20 am
RobotPenn. SILVER, El Paso, Texas
8 articles 1 photo 81 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Profound change is cumulative."

I love the atmosphere you've created. Gorgeous. :)

on Dec. 20 2011 at 4:39 pm
Jappyalldayeveryday, Detroit, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 163 comments

Favorite Quote:
They say that good things take time, but really great things happen in the blink of an eye

This is good :)

on Sep. 1 2011 at 5:52 pm
singinginthegardn GOLD, Cowell, Massachusetts
16 articles 2 photos 158 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." ~Anaïs Nin

I love your awesome description...everything's so clear! Great romance <3

Soleil BRONZE said...
on May. 14 2011 at 5:14 pm
Soleil BRONZE, Ames, Iowa
4 articles 1 photo 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't look back on happiness or dream of it in the future. You are only sure of today- do not let yourself be cheated out of it."

This is very descriptive writing. It gives you a feeling of hope at the end, but its not quite that. I like it. Keep writing!

on Nov. 19 2010 at 4:51 pm
SilverLuna SILVER, _________, Washington
8 articles 0 photos 229 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Come fairies take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.".... W.B. Yeats.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

This piece has a great way of writing in thoughts. There's no disconnect between the way someone's train of thought would meander on and the way you write. Great job!

 

Would you mind reading some of my work? 'Burnt Leaves' is the title of one of my works. If you could that'd be great! Thanks!


on Oct. 6 2010 at 7:24 am
amlee1212 BRONZE, Spotsylvania, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'll love you forever or find something better..."

This piece of writing is very moving, it seems to be all about courage. You hit every detail perfectly, I can see this scene happening in my head. You are a great writer and this piece truly shows it. Great Job!

on Jun. 18 2010 at 9:14 am
OfficialApprover PLATINUM, Orefield, Pennsylvania
48 articles 0 photos 1752 comments

Favorite Quote:
Grab life by the balls. -Slobberknocker
We cannot change the cards we're dealt just how we play the hand
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted
It's pretty easy to be smart when you're parroting smart people
-Randy Pausch

This was fantastic!  Very descriptive, very good writing style, believable emotions.  GREAT job.  Keep writing!

Btw, anyone who sees this, will you check out and comment on my work?


on May. 27 2010 at 3:32 pm
ashkash95 SILVER, New Hyde Park, New York
9 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:8

absolutely beautiful...it was beyond realistic simply because he's not overly confident and he's almost scared...i think this was absolutely amazing

on Apr. 13 2010 at 1:34 pm
Green8a8 SILVER, NY, New York
8 articles 1 photo 161 comments

Favorite Quote:
im the author of my life, unfortunately im writing in pen therefore i can't erase nothing about it.-by some crazy friend of mine

i agree i like the way that it could actually happen 

and the detailed language was interesting 


on Apr. 13 2010 at 9:18 am
CanYouSeeTheCrazy PLATINUM, Cle Elum, Washington
21 articles 0 photos 125 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I know why everyone in this world is so desperate to find love."
"Oh yeah? Why then?"
"Because, it's the closest thing we have to magic."

haha! he sounds like such a procrastinator... and you made it seem like he's said that same thing for a long time now, which makes it so much more interesting.

i love it. =]


Riley141 GOLD said...
on Mar. 22 2010 at 6:26 pm
Riley141 GOLD, Yale, Michigan
13 articles 3 photos 145 comments

Favorite Quote:
" Always do right. This will gratifiy some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

This was realy realistic...and thats what I liked about it.

Sarbear GOLD said...
on Mar. 22 2010 at 11:48 am
Sarbear GOLD, Milan, Ohio
10 articles 4 photos 489 comments

Favorite Quote:
--Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes.
--When life gives you lemons, squirt them in people's eyes.

and for everyone that thinks it needs more, then just accept that this is HER story and she doesn't want to change it. i feel the same way when someone tells me to change my work, but i'm the author and i'm in control of the story. this is HER story. and if she doesn't want to change it then that's fine. i like it the way it is.

Sarbear GOLD said...
on Mar. 22 2010 at 11:44 am
Sarbear GOLD, Milan, Ohio
10 articles 4 photos 489 comments

Favorite Quote:
--Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes.
--When life gives you lemons, squirt them in people's eyes.

this is very realistic and i love that. i could feel the emotions of both characters and the sadness of the morning. great job! check out some of my stories too:-)

on Mar. 22 2010 at 11:07 am
MissFaber SILVER, Wayne, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 156 comments

Favorite Quote:
Nothing Less.

it's an adorable short story, and strangely realistic. not everybody gets what they want.

read and comment some of my stuff? thanks :)

on Feb. 28 2010 at 10:42 pm
scream.my.name, Snellville, Georgia
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
scientifically speaking it is physically impossible for a bee to fly,
but bees don't know that,
so they keep flying anyway (:

This is so cute! it's such a simple story but it has such great detail it makes you feel what this man is feeling about his mystery girl! it's amazingly sweet and well written. beautiful.