Just A Song | Teen Ink

Just A Song

By MeganDxxx BRONZE, Pliening, California
MeganDxxx BRONZE, Pliening, California

The first time Katelyn heard Love by Frank Sinatra, she was at her aunt’s wedding watching her aunt and, now, her uncle and so many other couples at the reception smiling and laughing as they danced to the soft melody. 

-        "L is for the way you look at me"

She couldn’t help but want to get up from her uncomfortable wooden chair at the table and join in. At this moment she really didn’t care that she hadn’t brought a date and was sitting at the table next to many empty chairs and she didn’t even care that she would be the youngest person on the dance floor.

-         "O is for the only one I see"

She just felt as if she were sinking into the song and started swaying slowly from side to side. Katelyn realized quickly that this was the first time she’d actually felt so calm since her parent’s death in the car crash about six months ago.

-          "V is very, very extraordinary"

As the DJ played the song and Frank Sinatra’s calming voice filled the air, there seemed to be no problems that needed solving, nothing that needed to be arranged, no one that needed to be talked to, and nothing else in the world that really mattered except from listening to this song.

-          "E is even more than anyone that you adore"

Katelyn had set her glass of water down on the table and was about to get up, when a boy about her age walked straight towards her and stopped in front of her chair. This boy didn’t even give Katelyn any time to think and asked, “Would you like to dance?”

-          "Love is all that I can give to you"

She looked up and saw him smiling at her. Not just with his mouth but his blue eyes seemed to be smiling too. She had seen him at the ceremony sitting with his family quite near the back. He had caught her eye because they seemed to be the only people at the wedding still going to school.

-          "Love is more than just a game for two"

Katelyn didn’t even think about anything and answered with a confident “yes”. He put his hand out in an inviting motion and she took it. Then he led her onto the dance floor joining many other smiling faces.

-          "Two in love can make it

Take my heart and please don’t break it"

Without saying another word to each other the two of them danced together smiling for the rest of the song. Everything just seemed to feel right and neither of them wanted to ruin that. They later introduced themselves and Katelyn found out that the name of this mystery boy was Ethan and he was only a year older than her. They spent the rest of the reception together and he was the first person Katelyn had had no problems talking about her parents with. He made her feel special.

Whether it was dancing or just sitting around the tables they did it all together for the rest of that night.

-          "Love was made for me and you"

This was four years ago.

Katelyn still goes to school but has graduated from being a middle school senior to being a high school sophomore. She still lives with her aunt and uncle who have been happily married for these four years and still have a long life ahead of them.

To them their wedding night is of course one of the most important nights of their lives but not just for them and they know it. Katelyn remembers that night as if it were just yesterday and every time she hears Frank Sinatra’s voice coming from the speakers singing Love she always thinks back to that night and Ethan.

They haven’t been in touch since the wedding. It mainly has to do with the fact that his father, who was a friend of Katelyn’s uncle at the time of the wedding, tried to put Katelyn’s uncle’s company out of business about a year ago and before that they’d just never had the chance or the time to get together. At least that’s what Katelyn has told herself for the past four years.

She knows there’s another reason why they’ve never seen each other after that day and she knows that she could change that but she’s just too scared. She just couldn’t see him again because she thought it would ruin that one almost perfect night.

Katelyn had never been a big believer in love and still wasn’t really but that night, when Ethan had come over and asked her to dance, she felt something she’d never felt before and hasn’t been able to find any other word to describe it apart from love.

Whenever she felt lonely or lost or just sad for any reason she would always listen to that song over and over again and she’d feel better every time.

She’d only told her best friend Jess about Ethan. Not because she was ashamed or shy; just because she saw no point in telling everyone about him and once again she was scared that night wouldn’t seem so special anymore if they all new about it.

Anytime Katelyn tells Jess that the song made her feel better, Jess would always say the same thing. “It’s just a song," and Katelyn would just shrug her shoulders and then move on. Jess just didn’t understand how that song could make her feel.

Honestly Katelyn didn’t understand herself how just a song could make her feel like that but it did and she wouldn’t complain.

It’s Katelyn’s aunt and uncle’s wedding anniversary and Katelyn has offered to do her uncle a favor by preparing a surprise home-cooked meal for dinner. He knows how much she loves to cook and Katelyn always loves the look on her aunt’s face when her uncle and herself have planned and worked on something lovely together. She’s very sentimental.

The table has been set and it is almost eight o’clock and that is when Katelyn’s uncle had told her that they would be at the door. Katelyn puts the food on the candle-lit table decorated with daffodils (her aunt and her own favorite flowers) just like her uncle had told her to do. Only a moment after she’s taken off her apron, the door-bell rings and Katelyn rushes to the door. What she sees waiting on the other side isn’t quite what she’d expected.

Her heart skips a beat and a smile immediately creeps onto her face without her even knowing it at first. All her cares start to just disappear and the same feeling she’d felt at the wedding starts to grow inside her until she can feel the strange sensation throughout her entire body. She never wants this feeling to go away again. This time she won't let it happen.

Still surprised and not quite sure what to say, Katelyn only manages to let one word pass her lips, “Ethan?”