Falling | Teen Ink

Falling

By Jillian Eisenhut BRONZE, Indiana, Indiana
Jillian Eisenhut BRONZE, Indiana, Indiana

“Diana, you have leukemia.” I can remember the day they told me that like it was yesterday. And here I am, another painful day in the hospital. I don’t even remember how long I’ve been in this place. Days and nights run into each other, and the cable is no good. My doctor is pretty cool, and cute if I dare say it. The nurses are nice enough, and the food isn’t as bad as they make it out to be.
My parents have been a mess ever since we got the news. They try to keep me occupied, and they to keep it a secret that I’m going to die, but they’re failing. I can see it in their eyes when they look at me. There’s nothing here to keep the boredom away, until a new patient came. And that patient’s name was Louis.
Louis had leukemia like I did, but he was worse off than I was. He couldn’t even walk by himself because he was so weak, but despite that he was one of the sassiest people I’ve ever met. He wasn’t sassy in a mean way, but in a way that no matter what he said, you couldn’t help but laugh. I met him a week after he had first come to the hospital. He was a year older than me, has silky caramel colored hair, and eyes the color of the ocean, but better. I got lost in those eyes more times than I can count. However, I will say, that the way that we met was very awkward. I was in the common area for patients, reading a book or drawing, something boring like that, and needed to go to the bathroom. I got up to go, and right was a passed the boys bathroom, the door swung open, smacking me in the face and causing me to fall, and get a bloody nose. Louis wheeled his way over to me, and tried to help me up.
“I’m so so sorry! Are you ok?” He got a tissue for my nose.
As I got up, the only thing he said was “Woah.” I was confused about what he was talking about, thinking he meant he thought I was pretty. Then he said something along the lines of, “I messed your nose up pretty bad there huh?” and then he laughed as if it were the funniest thing he’d ever heard. As soon as he said those words, I knew, I had fallen for him.
As soon as Louis came to the hospital, there wasn’t a single moment that I was bored. We were always doing something stupid that got us in trouble, and I can’t say that I regret a single one of those things that we did, because there all memories of us that I cherish. One of my favorite memories was of us getting out of bed around midnight, getting paint and paper from the craft room, and painting stupid things from flowers to fish. We hung them all over the children’s wing of the hospital. We got in trouble for it, but all of the little kids loved it, so the doctors weren’t too mad. We had lots of midnight memories like this.
Louis always had a soft spot for kids, he had 4 little sisters, and so he loved hanging out with the kids. That was one of the little things I admired most about him, most teenage boys don’t particularly like kids.
I tried to keep the fact that I was truly, madly, deeply in love with Louis a secret, however that didn’t go too well. One day, when we were hanging out in my room he said very bluntly,
“You like me, don’t you?”
I stared at him, I’m sure I looked like a fish with my eyes bulging out of my head.
“W-What?” I stammered?
“You like me. I can tell by the way you look at me when you think I can’t see.” He said with a smirk on his face.
After he said that, I admitted that I did, and he said he’d liked me from the moment he saw me, bloody nose and all. He asked me out on a proper date, and as I tried to keep the fangirl in me, I said yes.
We couldn’t actually leave the hospital, so it wasn’t a “proper date” as Louis had put it. Louis had charmed our doctors into letting us use the cafeteria after it closed, and he covered a table with a white cloth, and lit a candle and put it in the center of the table. A couple of the nurses acted as waitresses and hostesses. We ordered our food, and had a great time. Before we knew it, it had been 3 hours since we’d sat down. I guess time really does fly when you’re having fun.

After that first date , everything fell into place. The first kiss, saying I love you for the first time, fluffy stuff like that. I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with Louis. We were always together, watching movies, eating, and always laughing.

No matter what it was that we were doing, Louis always had a way to make me laugh. It varied from pulling a funny face or saying a corny joke, I could always depend on him to make me laugh. We were almost like any other couple, and that’s what it felt like to us. Except were two cancer patients. And that can like a slap in the face when we got the news. I only had a month left to live.
Louis and I spent every minute together after I got the news. People couldn’t separate us. The only time we were apart was when we had to have treatments, go to the bathroom, or shower. We always slept in the same bed at night, his arms around me, and my head on his chest. When we were like that, I felt like not even cancer could hurt me.

I went through several painful treatments, but even on my bad days, Louis was always there. I no longer had hair or eyebrows, the chemo had taken that away from me. You never appreciate all the things that you have until their taken away. Every single day I felt worse, and I got moodier. It was like there was something in me that just wanted to snap at anyone who said a single word to me. There was one exception to that though, and of course it was Louis.
Louis was getting better as I got worse. He could now walk by himself, yet it was the opposite for me. He was getting treatments less and less as I got more and more. His appetite grew as mine faded to almost nothing. It was ironic, how everyone thought he would be the first one to go, and here I was, counting down the days I had left.
I had 3 days left. I could hardly pick my arm up by myself, and Louis had to help me up to get to the bathroom, he brought me food, and helped me with everything else I could possibly need. He was always there, more than my parents were. They never visited me, they didn’t care about me. They used to, but all of the hospital bills had slowly drained our bank account, so now they basically hated me. Louis was the only person I had.
2 days left of the terrible life I was living. This was the day I was supposed to do everything I’d ever dreamed of. Go spend all of the money I had. Eat all of the food that I wanted. Go cliff diving, sky diving, something crazy like that. However, all I could do was lay on my bed with Louis, watching Disney channel. All of a sudden, my heart monitor started going crazy. I couldn’t breathe; there were thousands of pounds were on my chest. My monitor started to slow down, and black spots started dotting my vision. They were closing around me, and all I could see was Louis. His silky hair, his pink lips, his crooked nose from when he broke it in the 4th grade, and his eyes. Those eyes that I got lost in every day, the eyes that I could stare into for eternity and never be bored of. Those eyes were the last things I ever saw…

The End.

MooMooMeow said...
ikr! i cried too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on Dec. 18 2013 at 9:49 am
hippiechild BRONZE, Lakewood, Ohio

Not because they are perfect, but because they are free. Because they are alive.

It was sooooo good and SAD I cried!!!!