The First Light | Teen Ink

The First Light

By ArielMondovi BRONZE, Plainfield, Illinois
ArielMondovi BRONZE, Plainfield, Illinois

You meet him and it’s not long before all you want to do is hold those hands and kiss that nose, right on its double-lined tip. And when he laughs or smiles all you want to do is kiss him and draw the light out of him like a siren, a dementor, because you’re selfish and want that beauty, that happiness, for yourself. This is not the kind of beauty that is pleasing to look at, this is the kind that makes a person crazy with the things, the little things, that you want to do to make some of it yours. Explaining takes too much time. Explain with a kiss, a soft, simple, pure kiss that tears light from both of you and makes you shine, makes you both beautiful. This cannot be explained so instead you just do what you can and take what you can of the light, spend as much time as possible in that light. Once you catch some, in the contact of your hands or the blueness of his eyes in his sincerity, then you hold it, cupped in your hands, close to your ear to hear it hum its lovely wordless song. Then you tuck it next to your heart to keep it warm and when you do you realise there had been a little nook there your whole life just waiting for the light of him to fill it up. Maybe then he catches your light too, and puts it next to his heart, hears it sing. Then you both get more and more light and the hollows next to your hearts get bigger and bigger in order to fit that light, and it gets bigger than your heart itself and reaches through you to your toes and eyes and everything is covered in light and you’re floating-it’s the most wonderful thing.
But then maybe he starts giving off shadow. Or a different coloured lights worms into one of your hearts, slowly, too slow to be noticed until it’s too late, but by then the only hope you have is that you both have the same amount of that other colour in your hollow.
By the end, your heart sits next to a vast hole with many multi-coloured lights swirling around, touching but never mixing.
Because the lights never leave.
And the first light, the brightest, sits at the bottom, more solid than the others.
And it will stay there forever.

It's always hard to find a way to describe a first crush, but I think I did pretty well.