The light-switch. | Teen Ink

The light-switch.

By mine.yours.ours. GOLD, Varennes, Other
mine.yours.ours. GOLD, Varennes, Other

"All those paper people, living in paper houses, burning the future to stay warm..." - John Green

Feelings aren’t some cheap light-bulb that you can turn on and off when you feel like it. Sometimes all is well and the light is bright, then it starts flickering. And you stop whatever you were doing and pray that it doesn’t shut off. Because if it did shut off; you’d be stuck in total darkness. And you’re scared of the dark. Everybody is… So you just sit there, cringing, every time the light flickers. Because you know that eventually, it will die. All light-bulbs, good quality or not, eventually fade out. Some sooner than others…
And you wish you had one of those expensive light-switches; the ones where there’s something in between the on and off. Some sort of grey to separate the black and the white. But you’re not one of the lucky ones; you don’t get to own that privilege. So you stand there by the door, trying to balance the switch between the on and off but it doesn’t work and you feel like such a fool for hoping; hoping that for once, you might be in control of something as powerful as love.
When it comes to love; we’re helpless little naïve bugs colliding into the light because it’s the only thing that shines in the darkness. We don’t know what it is, or what it is there for; all we know is that it shines and that what we want it. We need it… So we keep on running towards the light and keep on trying to break through the glass that surrounds it. But we can’t break through, and with time our hearts become as hard and cold as the glass that surrounds that tiny light. That tiny fleck of hope…

And you know that when that light turns off, when the hope disappears; you’ll be on your own. Please make you never forget how to change an old light-bulb…

We all have moments where we find ourselves in the dark and wondering how we got there. Writing this helped me find the light-switch...

on Dec. 17 2013 at 6:02 pm
mine.yours.ours. GOLD, Varennes, Other

Thank you very much, you have no idea how much your support is appreciated!! :)

on Dec. 3 2013 at 9:01 am
Ride4Life BRONZE, Calumet, Michigan
One word: AMAZING!!!!! And a couple more words (; I really, really love this type of writing, but most of what I've read jumps from one idea from the next, never really explaining the author's thoughts. But this is awesome. Keep writing! :D