Simple Words | Teen Ink

Simple Words

July 23, 2013
By raeee GOLD, Walla Walla, Georgia
raeee GOLD, Walla Walla, Georgia
15 articles 3 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Would she hear me if I called her name? Would she hold me if she knew my shame? Would she even love me if I was to blame?" -Favourite poem ever♥


She glowered at the back of her husband as she spoke, “Brently, dear, I do not see how you can let yourself work those long hours all of the time.” Her voice was filled with a deadly sweetness that was the opposite of what she was feeling.

Brently turned to look at his wife, and her glare vanished and was replaced with a look of worry. “Darling, I have told you, I have to work the hours so we can keep up with the luxurious lifestyle we both enjoy so much.” He reminded her, sitting across from her seat as he took her hands. “I love you, Louise. I truly do, but I cannot help but think of how often I let you down.” He stated, his voice filled with emotion.

Louise looked down, and sighed, squeezing his hands slightly. She did not always love him, no not as much as she should, but she did love him. “I love you too, Brently. I just wish you did not always have to work.”

He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and smiled fondly at her. “My darling, I wish the same. But I also want you to live a very comfortable lifestyle. I truly do.” With that he kissed her hand and stood up to proceed kissing up her arm. “You are the joy of my life.” He said, the creases of his eyes crinkling as he looked at his wife.

“I know you want us to live a comfortable and luxurious life, Brently, and I adore you for it, but I wish you were not always out and about. It makes the neighbors talk.” She sighed and gently took her hand away from his as she looked up at him. “They already talk enough about my heart problem.” She continued and looked away shamefully.

Brently gently turned her head back to face him. “Just remember, my dear, your heart is more genuine than anyone else I know.” He then kissed her forehead and left the room.

Louise sat there and stared after him. “If only you knew…” she whispered after him, and looked out the window. “If only you knew how much my heart does not love you in return…”