The Computer Will NOT Win | Teen Ink

The Computer Will NOT Win

July 4, 2013
By KodiDaniels BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
KodiDaniels BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain." - Mark Twain


17:18...17:18...17:18. I stared at the computer and drummed my fingers. “17 fricken 18” I muttered. “Seeeventeen Eighteeeeeeen! One seven one eight. Seventeen EIGHTEEN!” I sang. I stared at the ceiling and back at the screen again. That silly little circle loading thingy was just going ‘round and ‘round like it was the best thing it could possibly do with its time. Twirling and twirling as if just to mock me. “What’s 17:18 supposed to mean?” Jack asked.
“Shhh! You’ll make me forget!” I snapped as I glared at the circle thing. “Did you just do the shut-mouth-hand-signal at me? Come on, what with the singing and the grumbling and the muttering and the glaring.” he asked while tugging on my hair. “Your internet sucks. Balls.” I growled as I angrily jiggled the mouse. “Are you going to look in my general direction while I talk?” He asked with another tug. “Nope.”
“And why not?”
“Because if I continue to stare at it then I will show the computer my dominance and then it will bow down to the power of my will. SEVENTEEN EIGHTEEN! Its like a dog. A big mean dog that I can make my female dog.”
“Why do you keep saying that?”
“Because I can’t write it down on myself, because I will go out in public and people will ask me what the numbers mean and I will have no idea and they will just think ‘Oh look at that crazy chick who can't remember the stuff she wrote on herself.’ So I have to say it over and over because if I don’t then I will forget it. Then when this stupid page finally decides to load all the way I will not know where I was when I refreshed the page and then I will die because I just want to finish this episode of NEW GIRL!”
“And how long have you been having a power struggle with your laptop?” I checked my watch and then said “Two hours.”
“Ok, up you! Emma time to step away from the power struggle and be the bigger... person - er - computer.” He grabbed me up by the armpits and I grumbled “Set me down, I was winning!”
“No” and he dragged me away from the dining room table, literally dragged me. I looked back at the shag carpeting and saw two long tracks made by my feet. “Now stand up.” I slouched and stared up at him. “Good, now put your hands in mine.” The tiny things flopped up onto his huge palms. “Now we are going to spin and you are going to laugh and forget about being dominant.”
“But by spinning I become like the loading circle. And then by default ...it wins.” I whispered.
“How much sugar have you had today?” He asked with those teasingly worried brown eyes.
“Not enough. But I can’t spin, the dumb thing will not beat me.”
“Let it win! Now spin!” and he began twirling me around. Ok I kind of did want to do, it but then again I didn't. But If I dragged my feet, I was going to end up with rug burn. So I did what the obstinate little jerk wanted me to do and twirled like there was no tomorrow. Faster and faster until we tripped over each other and fell, clutching our sides, onto the floor. “See you’re laughing! This is so much better than singing Eighteen Seventeen, right?”

“Seventeen Eighteen, but yes.” I grinned. “Let’s go check if it’s loaded yet!” and I grabbed his hand and ran for the table. But I stumbled over the the cord and my laptop flew off and fell with a crash.

I froze, and I’m pretty sure I looked like a deer in headlights. Jack bent down and peered at the spazzing screen, “Hey, I think it finished loading!”


The author's comments:
I have discovered that I LOVE 'New Girl'...but my internet does not love me, so this was born!