Mine and Chase's Story | Teen Ink

Mine and Chase's Story

By marialove3 PLATINUM, Port Angeles, Washington
marialove3 PLATINUM, Port Angeles, Washington

"I'm excited for tomorrow; no i don't know what is going to happen...anything can happen. I'm excited because I know I have what it takes to make it a great day for me, but even MORE excited because I will make it a great day for others as well."-me

I look down at my paper I’m writing and frown. What was the date again? Oh, yeah, two days before valentines. So…it’s the twelfth of April. My friend Alyssa walks up to me and stands, just staring at my face. I look up at her.

“What?” I ask, confused.

“You know my brothers friend, Chase?” I nod. “He’s going to ask you to lunch today.” I c*** my head. That didn't make any sense. I’m only a freshman, juniors don’t bother with freshman.

Boys don’t even like me. I like boys, but the feelings are never mutual. I’m the girl that people always assume has a boyfriend already. I’m the nice, everybody’s buddy girl. People always assume I have a date to the dance, a boy to eat lunch with, or at least somebody I’m texting. When in reality, it is never any of those things. Guys think that, and then are thinking, “Why even bother?” I, sadly, am the ‘why even bother’ girl. You can slap it on a plaque and hang it in my locker.

The rest of the day went by slowly. I would close my eyes for five minutes only to open them and have one minute gone by. I dreaded him asking me to lunch, absolutely dreaded it. He was cute, but I had never talked to him. This was a stranger in my eyes. We would say hi to each other in the hall ways. We were…friends by acquaintance. I never found myself thinking, “He’d be a good boy friend.” Or, “I really like him”. I remember thinking, “Whoa, he’s cute” but that’s it. I was just too used to not being wanted, to want anything anymore. Why create false hope?

Lily and I decide to sit outside of the lunch room. Lunch has already started, and I saw Chace sit down by his friends. I figure he was just joking around with his friends and Alyssa took him seriously. I’m not surprised by my conclusion, and therefore am not disappointed. This is the only outcome I could have imagined. We giggle at the thought that a junior could like me. Not to mention a delightfully attractive one.

I stand up and face Lily, not liking seeing all the people stare at us. It is quite obvious they had also heard from others what I had, and were hoping for some new juicy gossip to spread around in a small town; where anything and everything is juicy gossip. Suddenly Lily’s face becomes shocked as she stares at something behind me.

“He’s coming.” She says quietly.

“Who? Chase?” I ask.

“Yah.”

“Really? Maybe he’s just going to the bathroom.”

“He’s coming over here to see you. He’s looking straight at you.” I give a little glance, and sure enough, her words are truth.

“Are you sure?” I ask, panicked. I am not prepared. Not prepared at all.

“Maria I’m…he’s almost here.”

“No.” I say in disbelief.

“Here” She says plaintively. I smile at him nervously and he does a cute little boyish grin and rubs his neck. My pulse falters.

“Hey.” He says. I blush.

“Hi.” I reply. We stand awkwardly for a moment.

“Uh, I’m Chase.” He says. I know, I want say. I know…I know…I know.

“I’m Maria…” I say with a weird, goofy grin. More silence, as we both contemplate the next move.

“Hey Maria! So what are you doing this weekend?” Lily asks with an impish grin on her face. I realize what she trying to do and fight the urge not to roll my eyes.

“Well, Lily, since you seem so interested in knowing…” She rolls her eyes. “…nothing.” Chase smiles down at me and I smile up at him.

“So...Chase…I heard that Beautiful Creatures is supposed to be really good. Maybe you should check that out?” Lily says. He laughs and turns to me.

“Want to go to the movies this weekend?”

“Sure.” I say. Inside, I’m doing my own little happy dance. A boy likes me. And I didn't even have to try. He, Chase, likes…me. Happiness fills me. I’m capable of somebody thinking I’m pretty, and good, and theirs.
~*~

Valentines day, he walks up to me and hands me a rose, and three chocolate kisses. Overcome by surprise and other emotions I throw the things that were in my hands on the ground. Nobody has ever given my flowers before. He laughs and I’m too excited to be embarrassed.

I was perfectly content in thinking my valentine’s day would be giving my friends valentines I had made personally for each. I was ready to pat their backs as they pouted about being single ladies on the, “day of celebration for love”. But no, I was the girl with a rose. Other girls dreamt of getting a rose from a boy. Me, as well. So I guess you could say I was, ‘living the dream’.

I blush and stand with him talking. He puts his arm around me and I fight the urge not to grin like a dolt.

I am so happy.

I think in my head, I am so happy.
~*~

Four months later, we’re still dating. And I don’t think I have ever been in a relationship or seen somebody in a relationship as happily situated as mine. I still get butterflies in my stomach before we kiss, and our hugs are long ones that make me smile and feel warm inside. I’m happy just holding hands with him. I never feel awkward or confused with him. Chase is the best thing in my life, the reason I get up sometimes in the mornings…more often than not.

He’s my best friend, I tell him everything and hangout with him more than anybody. He’s the best friend I wish I’d had when nobody was there, and now I have somebody there. Chase. I don’t need to wear make-up around him and I could wear a dress to sweats…and I would be comfortable with him.

I have never been happier. I love his blue eyes…they are the most gorgeous things I have ever seen, hands down. I love his sweaters and his v necks. I love his silly faces and his laugh. I want this to last a long time. And when…me and Chase end…I am not going to regret being with him, just as you wouldn't regret somebody giving you an amazing gift. Chase is my amazing gift.

This is the story of me and my best friend Chase...who is also my boyfriend. :)