Things You Should Throw Away But Can't

I should probably get rid of the blue box underneath my bed, holding your Christmas and birthday cards to me, and the letters I wrote to you, but you never read. I should probably throw out the notes we passed in class – the remainders of the games we played – the reminders of the past. I was wrong to think that something between the two of us could last. I should probably donate your old sweater to a children’s shelter, and burn your t-shirt, too. I should get rid of anything with your scent, or even a trace of you. Maybe I should rip all the pictures from that very first day. But maybe, just maybe, I’m hoping we’ll end up together, and that it’ll all be okay. So I’ll save your old Christmas cards and birthday cards, and I’ll save your old sweater, too. I won’t burn your big, blue t-shirt – I’ll wear it at night, and think of you. I’ll keep all the notes we passed in class – reminders of the fun and games. I’ll preserve all the pictures from that day we first exchanged names. And last, but not least? I’ll keep the letters, too – all the stories, and poems, and diary entries where I wrote about my longing for you. I’ll keep all these things in a blue box underneath my bed. I should probably throw them all out, but I’m going to keep them instead.

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm:
 I really like how you got specific, and named little things that most of the time wouldn't be important, but in this case WERE. I also loved the mood of the piece - so hopeful... Sounds like me! A pathetic, hopeless romantic. Anyone else put boyfriend's last name with yours? ;) Anywho, I liked it a LOT. You could've always gone a bit deeper (it was slightly shallow), but I think this makes a really great piece as it is.

CameandgonesmartyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 4, 2013 at 6:23 pm :
Thanks I'm glad u enjoyed it :) Ill take that into consideration :)