Long Lost Love | Teen Ink

Long Lost Love

By country-cutey GOLD, St.croix Falls, Wisconsin
country-cutey GOLD, St.croix Falls, Wisconsin

Dont say it if you dont mean it because i might actually belive it

I laid on the hospital bed, enjoying the warmth of the sun beam on me from the window. I closed my eyes thinking about all the things I have done throughout my whole years, seeing if I actually lived a good life. Remembering the day when I crashed into a tree with my dad's brand new car when I was 16. I chuckled to myself, as the memories came back to me.

"Miss Johnson, not to bother you, but your daughter is here to see you"

I opened my eyes and saw the nurse standing at the door. "Ok, send her right in here, please." I said with a warming smile. My daughter came in, giving me a slight smile. She was tall, with long blond hair and bright baby blue eyes, looking like me when I was younger. She hugged me tight, not letting go for a second.

"You look better since the last time I saw you," she said, as she sat down on the end of my bed.

"Who knows," I said softly, looking out the window.

"Mom, I know you really don't want to talk about this, but I am forty now. I am married and even have three children of my own . I think it's time you tell me about my father now. How did you guys meet?"

I looked back at her, sighing as the pain came back to me. " Fine....... It all started when I was 18......"

" Hey dad, I am heading out," I said, as I kissed him on the cheek, grabbing my car keys.

"But it's your birthday.......you're really going to leave your dad all alone on your birthday."

I looked at him and smiled, "Yes, sorry I have plans, I am 18 now, remember? Don't worry I promise to take you out to dinner tomorrow, ok?"

"Whatever," he said, as he went back to reading his newspaper. I walked out the door before I felt anymore guilty. I was walking towards my car, when water suddenly started to pour hard down on me. Oh shoot, it must be raining, I thought to myself. Out of nowhere it stopped. Something fishy must be going on. I turned around, walking towards the neighbor's fence. On the other side was a tall guy with brown hair, holding a hose. I was so anger now, forming my hands into a fist, as my wet hair dripped in front of my face. The boy looked at me, spotting my hulk looking expression.

" what crawled up your leg this morning," the boy grinned at me.

" Oh shut it," I yelled at him, slowly walking away from him, mumbling awful words to myself.

"Wait! I am sorry, I didn't mean to get you wet." He dropped down the hose and jumped over the fence, standing in front of me. Sorry we got off on the wrong foot. Hello, I am Dan, just moved here," he said, with a gentle smile.

"Nice to meet you, Dan," I said, as I shoved him out-of-the-way, jumping into my car.

"Wait, please. Don't be mad, can you at lest show me around, like a tour guide?" He gave me the puppy dog face. I knew I couldn't say no to that.

"Fine, whatever, hop in."

He hopped in the passenger sit, grinning at me."Thank....wait, what's your name?"

"It's Kate," I smiled, as I turned on the car.

"Well thank you so much, Kate."

I drove him around town, showing him all the shops and malls, as we drove by. The more I drove around with Dan, I actually started to realize he was a pretty decent guy. We talked and laugh the whole time, making me lose the track of time, forgetting about my birthday plans for night. When the sun started to drop, I parked the car at the overview that looked over the whole city. I looked at Dan, watching him try to stuff his whole ice cream cone in his mouth at once. Of course, he failed, dripping ice cream all over his face and body. I laughed, holding my hand out towards him, as he wiped his face." See, I knew you couldn't do it. Now cough up the money."

"Ohh, now I see how this is, you're the type of girl who goes after guys for money now,huh?" He chuckled, handing me a five dollar bill. "I guess this is what I get for making a stupid bet to a girl," He smiled, looking into my eyes. Right at that moment my heart started to jump, moving faster than the speed of light. I slowly leaned in, kissing him gently on the lips.

He slowly leaned back a little, staring into my eyes, "I feel the same for you to," he smiled.

"Wait, wait, that's how you met dad," my daughter said, leaning in close to me, interested in the story of how I met her dad.

"Yes, that was an amazing day," I sighed, as the memory still aching my heart.

"That is so cute! He sounds so sweet and perfect."

"He was," I smiled.

"What happened to dad then," she said, looking down at her feet.

I looked down at my huge round tummy, pacing back and forth in my room."Don't worry, baby. Daddy is gonna be with us soon, don't you worry," I whispered to my belly. I hope so at least, I miss him so much. Why, oh why did Dan and me have to go to different colleges that are miles and miles apart? I have to tell him tonight, no wait, I have to tell him now. I grabbed the phone, as my body was shaking in fear. There was a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. I took a big breath as I dialed his number. My mind was racing so fast, my hands shaking.

"Hello, who is this?"

My heart skipped a beat as I heard his sweet soft voice. "It's me, Kate. I missed you so much. It seems like forever since we last talked. I heard his voice laugh on the other end.

"Kate, it's only been three days," he chuckled. "I miss you so much too, sweetheart. I been meaning to talk to you anyways. "

"Me too," I said, looking down at my tummy."But you go first, what is it?"

I heard him take a big breath. "I am joining the Army. I have to leave the next morning to go to basic training camp."

As I heard those words, my body sank-ed to the ground, as tears ran down my cheeks like a river. My heart was aching as I played those words over and over in my mind. I was so sad that words couldn't come out of my mouth. "I am.....am...."

"You are what, Kate?"

I didn't know how I could say it. My mind was racing so fast. My body was shaking between fear and sadness. "I am....going to miss you alot." I just couldn't tell him the truth.

"Me to, Kate. Before I go, I just want to let you know that I love you more than anything in the world. Kate, you’re like the sun to me. When ever I am sad, you always light up my world no matter what. You shine through the good and bad. Plus, whenever I miss you, I just look up to the sky, knowing you're always there, even if I can't see you."

I smiled as I heard those words. "I will always love you. No matter what happens, I will never love another man the same."

"Don't worry, I promise I will write to you whenever I can."

My daughter was now hovering over me, gripping my arm in excitement to know what came next-ed. "What happened next!"

I looked away, hiding the tears in my eyes."I never heard back from him since. I tried to look for him, but I failed to find him. I promise myself to never love another man since. He."
"Oh my, that's so sad," she said, hugging me tight. "I love you so much, mom." She put her hand on top of mine, giving a slight smile back. "Everything is going to be alright, don't you worry."

"I hope so too." Before she left, she hugged me again, promising to see me right away in the morning. When my daughter left, I laid in my hospital room alone, thinking to myself about Dan and all that happened. I looked out the window, staring at the stars, as the sadness started to drift away. There in the sky, a shooting star flew across the sky. I closed my eyes tightly,"I wish I could see Dan just for one more time," I whispered to myself.

The next morning I heard a knock at my door. It must be my daughter, I thought to myself. The nurse cracked open the door a little, making sure I still wasn't asleep. "Someone is here to see you, Miss."

An old man with gray hair and brown eyes walked in, smiling at me. "Still think I can't fit a whole ice cream cone in my mouth, Kate," the man said, with a grin on his face. No way, I said to myself, it can't be. My heart was skipping so fast, my tummy tossing and turning. My body felt like it was fire.

"Dan, is that really you?" He smiled, sitting right next to me on the bed, putting a hand on mine.

"Yes, Kate. Your daughter, I mean our daughter called me last night and told me everything." I stared into his eyes, speechless. I couldn't believe he actually came back. He looked back into mine, with sadness burning into his. "I know what you’re thinking, why didn't I come back for you? One day while I was in the war, a bomb went off. I was put into a coma for three months. After I woke up, I forgot about everything that happened before that, so I was sent home and started a new life. When our daughter called last night, the memories of you flashed back into my mind and I knew I had to see you right away."

I was speechless and didn't know what to say after that. I knew he would come back for me. He held me closely, whispering, "I love you,Kate, forever and always."

I closed my eyes, holding on tight to him, "Forever and always," my last words I ever said.

wannabebrit SILVER, Debary, Florida

“Why are some things easier to write than say?”
― Ally Condie, Matched

"There have been two great accidents in my life, one was the trolley and the other was Diego. Diego was by far the worst." ~Frida Kahlo

This kind of reminds me of the Notebook with a twist. Beautiful concept but be careful of your comma and quotation spacing. I also caught a few mispellings such as lest instead of least. Your subject when using dramatic effect and mentioning Dan should have been Him not he and it is important to remember to say Dan and I not Dan and me. Other than small things like that, beautiful piece!

Lindseybr SILVER, Macarthur, West Virginia

Without music life would be a mistake

That was sooo good......liked it alot  

yourlove-mywings SILVER, Yuma, Arizona

"Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him, and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, saying, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.” Luke 17:3-4

This is so sad!!! But it is a great story! I love it. If only she wasn't dying, or at least had a few more moments with Dan. Aww!!!! I love it, it made me want to cry!!!!! Great story!!!!!! XD