When you look me in the eyes, tell me that you love me....

A big tanned hand containing a comparatively smaller, fairer one- I gazed at d unison of our hands. It was beautiful. It was, according to my definitions, divine.
As I watched our intertwined hands, I felt some brush against my cheek. I looked up faintly- I was always dazed by out intimacy. It made me felt complete. It made me felt wanted. His other hand was caressing my entangled hairs. His fingers got stuck. I looked at him, a little embarrassed. He chuckled slightly and said, “Well it’s a good thing I want to be a hair-stylist. You’re gonna be my first customer as soon as I get an authorized certificate. Girl, you seriously need therapy!” he teased.
I laughed. It was so easy to be with him- to be my true own self with him. I didn’t have to pretend to be anyone else. I didn’t have to make extra efforts to get his attention. I didn’t have to get all dolled up to meet him. He liked the way I was- spontaneous and crazy. I loved the way he was- affectionate and understanding.
The most clear and vivid memory of mine from the last year is of how we became what we are now…
We were best friends initially. My classmates used to ridicule about us, saying that we were secretly dating and concealing it as ‘just best friends’. We didn’t care, though. I really cared about him. He really handled my tantrums and obnoxious gestures well. So it was obvious for us to get along superbly. But one day, something terrible happened. Some jealous brat of a girl sent him a Valentine’s Day card on my behalf. I had no knowledge about it whatsoever. He read it and saw my name at the last. He laughed. Every single person in the school saw that and laughed. I was humiliated to the highest extents. I had expected some sympathy from him. Some promise of making it alright. But all he did was to laugh. For two painful days I tolerated this nonsense. But the third day, I had had enough. It was the day of the football finals. He was the captain of the team. We weren’t talking anymore. But that day I had to talk. I had to confront him. I stormed into the locker room and said to him, “You know what? I’ve just one single word for you- pathetic. You’re literally the most pathetic person I’ve ever come across on this planet! Even the most brute of the guys would have shown more concern and respect for my feelings than YOU did! I didn’t even dare to imagine that out all of the people who would hurt me, you would be the one to do it. And you know what the killer part is, even if I would have sent you a card, you’d have still made fun of me. Know why? Cuz you SUCK!”
I stomped out of the room. My friends were outside.
“Hey. We’re really proud of you! He deserved that. So…since you’re not going to the football match, we’re ditching it too. You need us right now.”
“Who says I’m not going? My classmates are playing. The team of my school is playing. I’m gonna cheer them up. C’mon let’s go”
So, it was all just words. Inside, I was broken. But I had to give it my best shot. I wasn’t gonna miss the match because of him. Huh. Idiot.
******
The match was about to end. He had to make the last goal, the last goal towards our victory. Every person in the crowd around me was shouting his name. Everyone except me. My head was spinning. I couldn’t take this anymore. My ears were ringing with the cheers of his name. I stood up from my seat and withdrew towards the exit. As soon as I was in the stairs, the crowd exclaimed. I spun to see what had happened, only to find me standing face to face with him. We were unbelievably close. I froze.
“W-w-hat a-are y-you d-d-doing?!” I sputtered.
He smiled and took my face in his hands, “Grabbing my trophy”.
He leaned towards me. His lips found mine. What happened after that, I don’t know. I barely remember anything. I was lost into oblivion. I was lost once again into my childhood fantasies. But about one thing I was sure- this was REAL; he was MINE – forever. A song was playing in my mind- when you look me in the eyes, tell me that you love me, everything’s alright…when you’re right here by my side, when you look me in the eyes, I catch a glimpse of heaven, I find my paradise…when you look me in the eyes…