Him & I | Teen Ink

Him & I

March 12, 2013
By alexlentz BRONZE, Covington, Louisiana
alexlentz BRONZE, Covington, Louisiana
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I never believed in relationships. To me, they were an excuse for lonely people to always have someone right there next to them. Being in relationships just causes pressure and unwanted hurt and drama. This is the motto I've live by all my 17 years of life. Until I met him.

I had known of him since eighth grade but he was just another boy to me. Yeah he was cute, but that's all I knew about him. As time went on though, I learned more and more about him. He spent his freshman and beginning of sophomore year of high school with a girl that was more controlling then a drill officer in a boot camp. She never let him do anything and would not let him talk to any girls no matter who they were.

So like any other teenage high school girl I just went about my business but in the back of my head I always felt bad for the kid. I grew to learn that he was actually a really sweet and caring boy and very respectful. As all high school relationships, he and the controlling girl broke up. Unfortunately, right after the break up, he got into a relationship with another controlling girl.

I was just so confused as to why a good guy like him who was smart and respected would let himself be degraded by these girls over and over again. So of course when that relationship ended no one was surprised. Everyone, including myself, was shocked at what happened next.

My friend called me one day, her boyfriend was best friends with him, and wanted me to go with her to his house and hang out. I went. I never imagined how much that one afternoon would change my life and most of all, how it would change me.

His name was Bently. He was funny, smart, kind. Just like I had always heard he was. That one afternoon of jokes, laughs, and stories changed everything. From then on, every day was spend with Bently. We were just friends, but just as fast as we had become friends, we became more.

It was the most unnatural but natural thing I had ever experienced. All of a sudden I went from being on my own and not worrying about anyone but myself, to caring so much about one boy that I didn't care about anything else.

Before I knew it, he was calling me his girlfriend. ME! Of all people, I was actually in a relationship. I literally had no idea what I was doing. I didn’t know the “right” things to do in a relationship. It was all a completely new experience to me.

We spent every single day together. I noticed that my friends were slowly drifting away from me, but I honestly didn’t even care. He was all I wanted and all I thought I needed. I was content with just being with him. Everyday brought about new emotions that I didn’t even know I was capable of feeling.


One day we were texting and I was feeling kind of down. Then he sent me the most amazing text message that I have ever gotten:

“I love you so much, I can’t think of one thing I don’t like about you. I love everything about you. You’re so beautiful and sometimes I catch myself just staring at you. The only thing I wish that was different is that you’d smile and laugh around me more. When you do it makes me feel so happy. I’m so happy to be with you and I’m so lucky you have you! I want you all to myself… I don’t want to loose you and I hope you never get bored of me.”


All I could think after reading that was how in the heck could I EVER get bored of you? I mean honestly, a beautiful boy who you have grown to love tell you how much he loves you and wants to be with you. That would make any girl’s heart melt.

Things were amazing between us. Until they weren’t.

As time went on I began to notice little things here and there. He started to choose being with his friends over me and he started to get really mad at me for the strangest things. We slowly started to fight more and more. Then one day, everything changed.

Suddenly he got it in his mind that I never cared about him. No matter what I said or did I couldn’t convince him. So right there in the school parking lot on a Friday night the boy that I adored and loved broke my heart.


The whole world felt like it had stopped. No real words can describe the way that moment felt. I just stood there and watched his taillights disappear.

I didn’t leave right away. I just kind of stood there. I’m not exactly sure how long I stood there but it was long enough for the people I was with to come looking for me. I just couldn’t believe it. I cared about him more than anything in this world and he honestly thought that I didn’t care.