You Are What's Right Ch1 | Teen Ink

You Are What's Right Ch1

By AmyMichie GOLD, Saint Johnsville, New York
AmyMichie GOLD, Saint Johnsville, New York

Live in the now. <3

When I was in seventh grade, I decided to join the school track team. I didn't do it for the actual sport but to impress Cody Redman, my crush since the second grade. His older brother had been in track and he admired him with his life. I thought that he would have had the same admiration for me too if I joined. After about a year I forgot why I joined and focused on the actually sport rather than impressing Cody. He stopped talking to his brother and formed a band. Our life goals seemed to shift and I never saw it coming.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I could see the park bench now. I had to have been running for 1.5 miles full speed and I was about ready to collapse. But it was so close. Maybe 10 meters more or less. I would make it. I had to if I wanted to win the 400 meter hurdles in three weeks. I ran past the bench full speed and then slowed down gradually. Once I was at walking pace I went back to the bench and sat down. A water bottle would be great right now. My little sister, Olivia, was supposed to meet me here with at least two. She had probably mixed up the benches. I stood up and walked 5 benches away until I finally found her. She smiled at me and threw me a bottle of cold tasteless wonder and I downed it. She held out another one and I took it. We started back to my house and Olivia challenged me to a race.

“Challenge accepted my little cub.” I said with a wink

“ God, Elizabeth! I'm not five anymore you know.”

“Yeah. Which is why you should be able to keep up.” and with that I took off. I could hear Olivia behind me screaming about something being unfair so I turned around and she ran right by me. I started running again but couldn't get full speed because I was laughing too hard. She got to our front door but it was locked so she finally had to stop and wait for me. I ran up and gave her the biggest hug I could manage.

“That was the first time you have ever beat me!” I exclaimed as I unlocked the door.

“I have been practicing. A lot.” she said

“Good. Are you joining the team next year? You might be more of a legend than me.” I said laughing

“Just because you're know all over town as the “track star” doesn't mean you're a legend” she replied

“Yeah yeah. Well maybe if you keep up the practice you will be captain like I me. They will need a new “Swartz” to bring the team out of the dust when I'm gone next year.”

“I can't believe you're graduating this year. I'll have to find someone else to help me with homework now.”

“You can always call me if you need anything. You know that. Whether its boy problems or drama, I will always be here for you.”

“Yeah I know. Oh! Vanessa called me and wanted to know if I could spend the night. I have all of my homework done and its not a school night.”

“I don't see why you couldn't. I'll tell mom when she gets home. When are you leaving?”

“Now, if that's okay.”

“It's not even noon!”

“I know but shes going to the mall and she wants me to go with her. Please?”

“I guess but let me know when you get there.”

“Okay! Thank you Elizabeth!”

“You're welcome. Now get out of here before Vanessa leaves without you.” I screamed as Olivia ran up the stair to get clothes. My phone vibrated on our table so I walked over and grabbed it. The screen was lit up and it said I had five missed calls and eight text messages. I read the messages. All from my boyfriend, Adam. They all said “call me”. I checked the missed calls and they were all from him as well. I dialed his number and listened to the ringing for a few seconds before he picked up.

“Hey. Whats up?” I asked curious

“We need to talk.”

“Whats there to talk about?”

“Us.”

“Us? What about us?”

“It's not working out.”

“Whats not working out?”

“Us.”

“Well yeah. I got that part. What about us isn't working out.?”

“Everything. We don't hang out at all because your too busy running. Every time I call you you're busy spending time with you sister or you don't even answer because you're running.”

“Well sorry for actually liking my sister and running.”

“That's what I'm trying to say. They always come before me so I don't see us working out anymore.”

“Are you breaking up with me?”

“Yes. I'm sorry.”

“Yeah. Okay. So am I. I have to go.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Bye.” I said and hung up. I sat down and put my head on the table. I knew this was going to happen. It's happened with all of my boyfriends. I thought this time would be different. I guess I was wrong. My phone vibrated again and I lifted up my head to see what my screen said. A text message from Amanda.;did adam break up wit u?

; yeah. y?

; he just messaged me and asked me out!

; what??

; ya.

; he broke up with me 10 min ago!

;seriously?that sucks...should i say no??

;not if u really want to go out wit him. im not gonna keep you from doing something you want

;ok..thnks

;yupp

I stopped messaging Amanda and threw my phone back on the table and went to the fridge. I grabbed a water bottle and slammed the door shut. “That son of a”

“Who are you talking to?” said Olivia

“Oh! Sorry. I'm talking to myself. You haven't left yet??”

“No but Vanessa said she would wait for me. Okay. I'm leaving now. Bye.”

“Bye. I love you!”I said. I heard a faint “I love you too.” as the front door closed behind her. My head felt like it was going to explode with anger so I grabbed a piece of paper out of our printer and wrote a quick note for my mom.

;At the track field to practice hurdles. Olivia is at the mall with Vanessa and is going to spend the night with her. I will be back for dinner. Love, Elizabeth

After I changed into something more suitable for hurdles, I jogged to the school. Went I got there, I had a message from Olivia letting me know she made it safely, not that she wouldn't. I set up the hurdles to match the 400 meter hurdle race that I would compete in. my hair was starting to fall out of my hair tie so I took it out and fixed it. I positioned my feet at the starting line and got my timer ready around my neck. I looked at the first hurdle. I had plenty of distance to build up the speed to clear it but I got nervous that I wouldn't. I took deep breaths and after about a minute I told myself to stop stalling and do it. I looked down at my feet and counted to three. When I got to three I took of, starting the timer at the same time. I built up speed fairly quickly and cleared the first hurdle. Then the next one. And every one after that. I crossed the finish line and stopped the timer.

“Crap!” I said as I looked at my time. My record was 15 seconds less than that. I went back to the starting line. I ran the course about five times before I had to stop and rest. I didn't beat my record and my times where getting worse. I pulled my knees up to my chest and hugged my legs as tears ran down my face. I sat there for about five minutes until I heard a sound on the bleachers.

“Hey. Are you okay?” he said

I turned around and leaning over the railing of the bleachers was Cody Redman