I Know His Name

There's a guy. Well, of course there's a guy, I'm 17 and living in New York City. But not in the sense theat you might think. This 'guy' is somebody who I know, but have no idea who he is at the same time. I don't know his name, but I know his favorite color. I don't if he has any family, but I know he hates the smell of lilies. I suppose I should explain.

The day is January 28the, two monthes from the present. I am sitting in a cafe with my laptop open and a coffee in my hand. God, I need caffeine. I'm typing sometheing absent mindedly, probably for school. That's when he walks in, I guess; it's the only time I can remember the door opening. I look up at the newcomer after taking a sip of my coffee. I see him gazing at me.
"I'm sorry," he says and sits in the chair across from me. "I just saw you and wanted to say hello." I smile easily, and close my laptop halfway.
"Hi," I say. "It's cool. I was just typing about the wonders of the Roman army..." I roll my eyes to demonstrate how clearly useless this is. He laughs and nods his head in agreement.
"Remember, the phalanx came from the Greeks, not the Romans, and Cleopatra was a lovesick idiot." And in a second we're talking about anything and everything in the world. From our shared disgust of under-ripe bananas to our dissension on whether or not ballpoint pens or roller-ball pens are better. My coffee had long since gone cold and my laptop shut down on its own. We had shared a scone and a piece of coffeecake, when a tall employee looming over our table informed us that the cafe was closing shortly.
"Could I get your number?" he asks me.
"Absolutely." I tell him and take out my phone. I give him mine and he gives me his. I'm about to pack up my things when he stops me.
"Wait. We need a picture first." He smiles and grabs my phone. He quickly snaps a picture of himself grinning goofily at the camera. Using his phone, he takes one of me, smiling normally. I look down at my phone. He forgot to put his name in.
"Hey, you forgo-" He's already gone.

Ever since then, I've been dying to know who he really is. We texted a couple times, but I guess we both have been pretty occupied because he hasn't spoken to me in a few weeks. I still don't know his name.

I'm sitting on the bench in front of that same cafe, waiting for him. Today's the day. I know it. Yesterday, he told me to wait here at 1:00. He said he had a surprise. I'm sitting here, glancing at my phone every so often, watching the screens on the buildings change from ad to ad, when I notice somebody running towards me. It looks like...
I jump off the bench and run three steps to meet him. He cups my face in his hands and gives me a kiss.
"My name is Tyler McAvery and I love you, Alice Hilson."

I know his name.