The Real World | Teen Ink

The Real World

By triadbella BRONZE, Winston-Salem, North Carolina
triadbella BRONZE, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables you to laugh at life's realities."- Dr. Seuss

There are kingdoms as far as you can see, but you don't care, because none of them are his.
And when he realizes you're alone waiting for him, it might be too late. When you're a princess, you can't wait forever.
And ever since you were little, you knew you had to be a princess.
So, here you are, waiting in your castle above the clouds with doors open.
Nobody comes in.

Sometimes it's easier to forget, so you teach yourself how. Every lingering kiss, every scene, every cruel joke is banished to the outskirts of your mind. But who has time for that when you're a princess?
You can remember your first day. You walked in, smiling and bubbly, walking on air. Free as the sky your castle sat upon. And then you saw him- and he took your breath away.
Tall, dark, and mysterious. Regal and respectful. A prince. You just knew you had met your prince. But then the evil witch came into the picture and messed with your colors, your plans you had so carefully picked out.
You were the princess. He was your prince. Plain and simple.
When she took your prince away, you pretended not to notice, not to care. But your castle doors start to close a little bit, guarding you from the world.
You befriended her and discovered she wasn't an evil witch, just a misunderstood one. And by that time, you're a perfect actress. And you play your part painstakingly well. You have to.
And then, your prince becomes your friend, and the doors are flung open in joyous celebration. Everyone is invited inside, the perfect daughter, the musician, the chemist, the athelete, the subtle pretender.
Your friends. You can finally them friends. And the last tries to stay, tries to creep his way into your heart. But you don't let him, because that's where her prince is kept.
You become a group, a close knit family, and the kingdom is at peace.
Nothing stays perfect forever.
You have a dream that night. Your prince is there. So are you. He's looking at you with those eyes, with the look he only gives his princesses.
But then you wake up and you know that it's the real world. You may be flying high, but that doesn't help the ones on the ground.
Your prince and his misunderstood princess fight, a lot. You don't think about how YOU'RE his princess. You don't think about how your doors are almost shut.
Then, one day, it happens. The misunderstood princess becomes a misunderstood girl. The prince is free, free to join your castle, free to rule your kingdom. But he still doesn't. Is it your fault? No- it's the perfect daughters.
She steals your princes heart, piece by piece, until he is completely hers.
By now, your doors are shut.
You go through school together, all of you, and you still don't have the prince to yourself.

Now you know he will never be yours.
He marries her. He marries his princess. And you dont go to the wedding.
Then, one day, he shows up at your doorstep. His princess left him. And there's nothing you can do about it.
You're not a princess in the sky anymore. Your castle has been abandoned, because your apartment's ceiling is too small, and reality is much more evident in your mind, and your minimum wage. Your prince is now just another boy, another friend.
And you know it's the real world.

We've all wanted to be in a fairytale, at least once. What would your reality be like if you saw the world through the eyes of a princess?

on Feb. 6 2013 at 9:28 pm

You're the best person ever. Ever.

on Feb. 6 2013 at 8:27 pm
corinnebeloved SILVER, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Be like the bird who, perching on boughs too slight, feels them give way beneath her, yet sings, knowing she hath wings ~Victor Hugo~

You are beautiful and your work is amazing and this is so real and I love it.