Dear Diary, I Was Never a Believer

Dear Diary,

I was never the kind of girl to believe in love at first sight; I always thought that before you could fall for someone – really, genuinely fall for them – you had to know who they were as a person. Maybe you’d fall in love with their sporty side, their taste in music, or the way they smiled when you exchanged stories about your childhood, but never before getting to know them.

Well, that first night when I saw him, it changed everything I believed in. Drew and I used to know each other during simpler times when we played dress-up, and watched cartoon movies. After about eight years apart with no communication, I had no idea who he had become.

One night, our parents (being old friends) decided to get the families together to see each other. I was excited to see Drew, and to see the person he’d become after all this time. Never, however, would I have guessed that I would fall for him the second I saw him standing in front of that bowling alley.

Pale skinned with dark, brown hair and a full rim of thick, long eyelashes framing his almond-shaped, deep-brown eyes, he stood in front of me just under six feet tall, and when he smiled that crooked smile, I had to fight so hard to conceal how my heart was melting at the sight of him. I was hooked right from the start, like a salmon during fishing season – and the best part? From there, everything only got better.

I’m pretty sure he let me beat him in bowling that night though our scores were close, and it was sweet of him, but expected and typical all the same. What got me head-over-heels after being struck by his looks? Well, I couldn’t name one, single reason. Drew is sporty, a family guy, and culturally aware and proud of his background. He’s an Honour Roll student, and a certified, trained lifeguard. To top it all off, I knew I was a sucker for him when he told me that he had a passion for writing – just like me!

I was so comfortable with him. It was honestly the first night in a long time that I had been 100% myself without a single worry out being judged or labeled. Being with him took me back to the old times, when we played in the sandbox, and swung on swing-sets, and were just absolutely carefree. With him, I was taken over by the spirit of my five-year-old self, and I’d never been happier.

They say your soul mate is the person who makes you feel like you’ve found yourself, and the one who lets you be that person freely. With them, you’re supposed to lose all your worries and concerns, and throw your self-consciousness out the door. That night, playing pool with Drew for the first time in my life as he taught me how to play, throwing popcorn around, and sitting side by side, cross legged on the floor watching old cartoon movies, I felt the most at peace I’d ever felt. Then and there, I knew who I was, and what I wanted out life, and I was proud of letting it show.

No, I never believed in love at first sight – I didn’t believe in fate, and I laughed at all those girls who thought that destiny existed – but that night, when we travelled back in time, Drew made me a believer.