Peek-a-boo | Teen Ink

Peek-a-boo

January 16, 2013
By spiraling SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
spiraling SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A popped bubble can never be unpopped"
"Never regret what you cant take back"


I twirled a lock of my long dark brown curls in between my fingers as I stared at him. I was confused. Puzzled. I was looking for an answer. An answer he tucked away, buried deep inside of him. He liked to hide the truth, always afraid of what I'd think of him. He loved to play hide-n-seek when it came to his past.It was like a game of peek-a-boo with daddy, but I never got to see what was behind his hands, just like I can't see what he's hiding behind his mask of fake happiness. But I always knew, just like I always soon found out that daddy was actually behind those hands,, I knew pain was behind Nicks mask. Sadly his game of peek-a-boo was unfair. He never revealed what was hidden on the other side like daddy. He was to afraid.

I always knew Nick was lost. I always knew Nick was hurt, but whenever I tried to dig in it was like when you tried to dig a deep hole in the sand by the swing sets at the park. I never seemed to get deep enough or I'd hit cement, a road block. But I knew I made him feel better. I knew I helped ease the pain. I knew he...I knew he loved me. He loved me enough not to let me in because his biggest fear was losing me, but what Nick, the love of my life doesn't know, is that I'm not afraid of his truth. He should know I have my own truths too. So as I try my best to gaze into his soul, Nick comes strolling my way, and all I want is for him to stop holding back like I do. Because when I gaze inside Nick, I see a reflection that looks just like me.