Senior Trip Abroad | Teen Ink

Senior Trip Abroad

November 15, 2012
By northgirl0222 GOLD, North Attleboro, Massachusetts
northgirl0222 GOLD, North Attleboro, Massachusetts
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"in order to write about life, first you must live it"


Once upon a time not so long ago in Maine a young girl took her first trip away from home. Her name was Katrina and she was a senior in high school going on a month long trip to Italy and Greece. She was about to have an amazing adventure.
Katrina was packing her last bag when he annoying brother, Peter, came barging into her room, demanding that she call him every night. He was trying to sound like their father, who had died the year before. Katrina had been on edge as it was but that was the last straw, she began unpacking. She couldn’t leave her family alone. They needed her. Peter began wailing at her to stop until their mother came in and told her everything would be fine and to finish packing.
The next morning Katrina was on a plane to Italy with her classmates. She forgot all her worries and enjoyed herself. Best of all her friend, Robert, had the seat next to her and they soon fell asleep. They were awakened as the plane began its dissent into Venice. The group was hustled to their hotel, given room assignments, and sent to bed. As if by fate Robert had gotten a room across the hall from Katrina.
The next morning was a free day. The kids were allowed out into the city to do whatever they wanted. Katrina and Robert headed out as early as they could to be able to see everything. They walked hand in hand through the entire city, stopping only to admire the architecture and take pictures. They finally got hungry and decided to go to a little café by their hotel. Katrina figured it would be a good place to spot some cute guys and Robert figured it would be a good place to ask Katrina out. He saw his mistake as soon as their waiter, a cute Italian named Antonio, came over. Antonio took their order and walked away. As soon as he was out of earshot Katrina squealed, “Isn’t he delightful?” Robert agreed and they sat in silence until their food came. When it finally arrived it wasn’t Antonio serving it. Katrina was disappointed but Robert seemed to brighten up so they went back to talking about their plans for the rest of the trip.
When they had paid the check, they decided to go back to the hotel and see if anyone wanted to go dancing. As they walked out of the café Robert noticed Antonio standing against the wall…as if waiting for someone. Robert dragged Katrina away hoping she wouldn’t notice Antonio but he wasn’t fast enough. Antonio finally caught up with the pair and asked them to go dancing with him and some friends that night. Katrina agreed without even asking Robert. Antonio told them to meet him at Club Razzle at seven. Robert and Katrina went back to the hotel so Katrina could get ready for her “date” as she kept calling it.
It was seven and Katrina was so nervous she felt like throwing up but then she remembered that Robert was there with her and she felt better. When Antonio arrived he had only a girl with him so Katrina figured the others were inside. When Antonio introduced the girl he said, “This is my girlfriend, Kim.”
Katrina almost dropped her drink but Robert covered for her. “Hello Kim. I’m Robert and this is my girlfriend, Katrina.” Now it was Antonio’s turn to look confused. Katrina understood though; it was a deal they had made in third grade that if ever the need arose they would pretend to be dating. As the group began dancing Katrina couldn’t help but notice that Antonio didn’t know anyone else there either.
Soon they became hungry and decided it was time for dinner. While eating Kim was very interested in their trip and Katrina noticed that Robert was eager to answer her. Meanwhile Antonio and Katrina just stared into space thinking of each other. How was it that they each had that “special someone” yet their night was spent wishing they were holding each other. Easy, they were both pretenders even though neither knew of the other’s lie.
The next day Antonio finally got up the nerve to call Katrina. Only one problem, she didn’t want to talk to him. Robert answered her phone and told him never to call again. Antonio wasn’t going to let go that easily. He had heard Robert tell Kim that their class was going to Rome for the day. He called Kim and they made plans to go to Rome too. Turned out Kim had warmed to Robert the night before and was more then happy to distract him when Antonio found Katrina. They finally found the class at the Trevi Fountain. Katrina was in the middle of making a wish. As she slowly opened her eyes she saw Antonio standing in front of her. She almost screamed, for her very wish had just been to see Antonio again. The best part was he looked just as happy to see her. She looked for Robert but he was over in a corner kissing Kim? Now Katrina was definitely confused. She looked at Antonio for an answer. He apologized and began explaining that he had lied for he and Kim were only friends. Katrina only heard one thing throughout his whole apology, which was… “I’m sorry but I needed to know you. I don’t know why but I’m drawn to you. I love you.”
Katrina knew she was leaving for Greece in two days but for some reason she didn’t care. She reached up and kissed Antonio right there in front of all her classmates at the Trevi Fountain. The next two days were spent in a state of bliss with Katrina and Antonio always going out with Robert and Kim. Everyone knew of the dreaded date that was arriving quickly but no one mentioned it for fear of ruining the new found love they all shared. The day finally arrived though and none of them knew what to say to each other. They promised to write and that their relationships would work but they all knew deep down that things would never be the same as they were then. Antonio and Kim took Robert and Katrina to the airport to see them off.
As soon as Katrina landed in Greece she took out her cell and called Antonio. He answered on the first ring. He had been waiting for her call and was worried when he hadn’t heard from her. They began talking about all the adventures Katrina would have while there. As they were about to hang up Katrina said, “I love you” it was the first time she had ever said it to him yet somehow she knew it was true.
“I love you too babe.” Antonio said and she hoped he meant it just as much as she meant it. Robert looked like he was in agonizing pain when they got to the hotel. “What happened?” asked Katrina.
“I called Kim on the ride to the hotel.”
“And?”
“She dumped me. She found someone else already.”
“Oh my god! You’re kidding me! I can’t believe her. I’m so sorry Robert.”
The next day when Katrina called Antonio she told him what Robert had told her. He tried to sound surprised but Katrina saw right through it. “You knew and didn’t tell me?” She was so mad she didn’t even wait for his answer. She hung up the phone and went to see if Robert wanted to go for a walk, but Robert wasn’t in his room so she went by herself. While walking towards a little café to have lunch Katrina saw Robert so she went to ask him if he was ok but when she got close enough she saw he wasn’t alone…he was kissing a girl! Not just any girl but Kim! Katrina thought she was dreaming so she went back to the hotel to sleep some more. When Robert came bursting through her door an hour later she almost screamed because who was with him but Antonio. She knew she hadn’t been dreaming Kim was there and so was Antonio. She was so excited to see him she completely forgot about yelling at him earlier. That night they all went out for dancing and dinner. It was just like the first night they went out except now the couples were switched.
They went back to the hotel about ten so they could make curfew. When Robert invited Kim to spend the night with him she gladly accepted and they went running off as fast as they could. Antonio knew Katrina wouldn’t be asking him to stay so he kissed her goodnight and began to walk away when Katrina said, “You’re not going are you?”
“Do you want me to stay?”
“…yes”
“Ok lets go to your room then.” They walked to Katrina’s room slowly. When they got there Antonio leaned down and kissed her. Not the quick, new relationship kisses they usually had but a long, slow kiss. Katrina’s head was spinning as she opened her door. As she walked in she realized that she might have made a mistake. What if Antonio expected something now? She loved him but was she ready for this?
As if reading her mind Antonio called room service and asked for an extra pillow and set of sheets. “I’ll sleep on the floor tonight. Then bring Kim back to our hotel tomorrow morning.” Katrina felt better knowing he was okay with her hesitation. They watched movies and ordered room service. They talked until almost twelve when they finally decided it would be good to sleep some that night.
Katrina woke up at nine and when she looked at the floor…it was empty. She began freaking out. Antonio had left because she wouldn’t sleep with him. Just then her door opened and in walked Antonio with a plate full of breakfast. “I thought you might like breakfast in bed after that long night.”
“Thank you so much” she said. As Antonio went to sit back down on the floor she grabbed his arm and pulled him onto the bed with her…this time she knew she was ready.
“Are you sure?” Antonio asked hesitantly. Katrina could tell he wanted it as much as she did but he didn’t want her to be angry or disappointed after.
“I’m sure,” she whispered as the breakfast was forgotten and their love made complete. Antonio had been wrong though she wasn’t angry or disappointed. Katrina was ecstatic! She now knew he was hers. He would never leave her or hurt her. All her worries about being apart were forgotten.
Later that day as Antonio and Katrina were sitting in the hotel lobby they finally saw Robert and Kim come down from Robert’s room. There was three hours until Antonio and Kim were due at the airport to go back to Italy. The group decided to go shopping…well Kim and Katrina decided to go, the boys were just dragged along. When they went into a jewelry store the girls wouldn’t stop screaming about the beautiful gems and stones. So when the girls left to go get lunch the boys went back to the store and each bought their girl a shiny, bright ring. After lunch they went to the airport to see Antonio and Kim off. Just as they were about to leave both boys got down on their knee and promised their girl their love while giving them the rings. Kim and Katrina screamed so loudly that the entire airport stopped and stared at them. It was only their senior year and already they had found love. Well they’d all heard of high school sweethearts but who would have guessed it would be on their summer of senior year.
When Robert and Katrina got home they couldn’t wait to tell their families all about their amazing adventure. They got off the plane with their classmates but instead of their families being there it was Antonio and Kim waiting for them. Katrina was speechless. Once again there he was surprising her, flying across the ocean just to be with her. Robert had no hesitation as he grabbed Kim and kissed her. Robert and Kim left to go back to Robert’s to see his family but Katrina still hadn’t moved. As Antonio began walking towards her she suddenly realized that he was there. He was really there for her and he wasn’t leaving. When he finally got to her, he grabbed her and kissed her. She had missed him so much that she didn’t know what to expect. It was exactly like she remembered it…fast heartbeat, sweaty palms, butterflies in the stomach, wishing for more…it was love. “I’ve missed you so much,” she whispered.
“I know but its ok you won’t have to worry about being apart anymore.”
“What do you mean?”
“I applied to the University of Maine and I got in. I moved onto campus a week ago.”
“But…that’s where I’m going…”
“I know. We’ll be together forever now because I love you. I would have followed you to Antarctica if I had to.”
“I love you too but you don’t have to come to Maine just for me.”
“I know but I wanted to.” Antonio said as he leaned down and kissed her again. This time Katrina didn’t hesitate to kiss back.


Afterward

Turns out Robert and Kim both went to Bowdoin College together. So after they all got out of college Robert became a doctor, Kim a teacher, Katrina an artist, and Antonio a lawyer. As for their relationships…they shared a nice summer wedding on the beach. They live next to each other in their condos in Maine and share a beach house on Cape Cod for the summers. Seems everyone got his or her true love all because of a senior trip to Italy.