The Door in the Wall | Teen Ink

The Door in the Wall

November 15, 2012
By northgirl0222 GOLD, North Attleboro, Massachusetts
northgirl0222 GOLD, North Attleboro, Massachusetts
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"in order to write about life, first you must live it"


Once upon a time there was a young, orphaned girl named, Lizzie, and a young, caretaker’s son, named Jake. As you’ve probably already guessed Jake and Lizzie’s lives were about to change. They didn’t know this though. I should probably start from the beginning so here goes…
Chapter 1

Lizzie was only twelve years old when her parents died in a tragic car accident. She moved around to several children’s homes until she turned sixteen and bought her own apartment. She made sure the house was near the cemetery her parents were buried in. She went to visit their graves every day after work. One day she noticed a large door carved into the rock that lay near their graves. She was always a curious child so she decided to explore, unfortunately the door wouldn’t open.
Chapter 2

The next day was when Lizzie’s adventure really started. She went to the graves as usual but this time there was someone else there already. Lizzie knew something was wrong since she was an only child and all her relatives lived far away. She went up to the stranger and asked, “Can I help you?”

The stranger didn’t answer just turned around and said, “Hi. My name’s Jake. What’s yours?”

Lizzie told him her name. Jake said he had seen her coming to the cemetery everyday and was wondering who was buried there to make it so important to visit. When Lizzie said it was her parents Jake said his mom had died when he was three years old. Lizzie said she was twelve when her parents died.

Jake asked, “Are you going to come again tomorrow?” Lizzie promised she would and then left. Jake stayed a little while and then took a big key out of his pocket and opened the door in the wall that Lizzie had seen the day before. He went inside and closed the door behind him.
Chapter 3
The next day Lizzie couldn’t wait to get off work and go to see Jake. He had made her smile for the first time since her parents had died and she liked him. When she got to the cemetery Jake wasn’t there yet. She waited for an hour. Just as she was about to leave Jake came out of the door in the wall. Lizzie was so happy he’d shown up that she didn’t even think to ask about the door. When she asked Jake why he’d been late he said he had had to help his dad for a little bit all the while hoping she would wait for him.

Lizzie asked, “What does your dad do?”

Jake said, “He’s the caretaker here at the cemetery and we live in that house there.”

“Where?” asked Lizzie, “All I see is that big rock with a door in it. Ohhh!”

“What?” asked Jake.

“You live in the rock!” said Lizzie.

“Is there a problem with that?” asked Jake.

“No! I was wondering the other day about that door.” Lizzie said. Jake laughed and so did Lizzie. They started talking about everything they could think of.

“Would you and your father like to come to my house for a home cooked meal tomorrow night after I come see my parents?” asked Lizzie.

“Of course! I’ll come by tomorrow when you’re here and tell you what he says but you can count me in.” Jake said.
Chapter 4

Lizzie went straight to the cemetery after work and found Jake already waiting for her.

“What did you both decide?” she asked.

“My father can’t come, but I’d still like to come.” Jake said.

“Alright lets go.” Lizzie said. They left and went to Lizzie’s apartment.

“Sorry it’s so messy.” Lizzie said.

“It’s ok. You should see my house.” Jake said, “Maybe you could come over tomorrow to my house so I can make you a meal?”

“Sounds great. I’ll meet you at my parents’ grave after work.” Lizzie said. She made kielbasa, potato salad, chips, and cola for dinner. Jake warned her that it was a much nicer meal then she would get at his house the next day.
Chapter 5

Lizzie was the first to get to the graves again. She was laying flowers down when she felt a presence. When she turned around she saw Jake beckoning her from the door in the wall. She started towards Jake but when she saw how handsome he looked she had to stop and catch her breath. He saw her expression and smiled knowing what she was thinking.
“Thank you!” Jake exclaimed.
“Your welcome.” Lizzie said a bit breathlessly, “I wish I had dressed up. I didn’t realize it was a formal dinner.”
“It’s ok. I have a present for you upstairs.”
When Lizzie got to the door and looked inside all she saw was darkness.
“You have to climb the stairs. They’re hard at first but you’ll get used to them in time.” Jake said.
“Is that an invite to come back?” Lizzie asked.
“Any time you feel like it just come knock on the door.”
“I’ll remember that!”
Once they finally got to the house Lizzie’s knees were badly bruised from all her falls but it was worth it to see Jake’s house. Jake told her to go into a little room at the back and look on the bed to find her present. When she did she found a beautiful, sparkly, midnight blue dress. She put it on since it covered her bruises and looked more formal then her sundress.
She went out to the living room. She felt bad and said, “I love this dress but I can’t take it from you. You said yesterday you couldn’t afford chips. How did you afford this?”
Jake said, “It didn’t cost me anything, it was my mother’s and I want you to have it now.”
“Thank you!” said Lizzie, “That’s so sweet.”
From the other room came a loud, booming voice, “Dinner’s ready.”
“Is that your father?”
“Yes!”
The two kids went into the other room and there Lizzie saw the littlest man ever. “Hello! I’m Jake’s father.” That booming voice was coming from the little man.
“Hello! I’m Lizzie, Jake’s….”
“Girlfriend?” he asked.
“Father!” whined Jake.
“Friend!” said Lizzie. They all sat down around the table. Jake’s father brought out plates filled with fish and a glass of water for each person.
“Sorry!” said Jake. “I know you’re used to better but it’s all we have.”
“It’s delicious!” said Lizzie. “Can I come back again tomorrow also?”
“Sure!” said Jake and his father together.
After dinner they sat in the living room while Jake’s father read aloud. Jake offered to walk Lizzie to her car after. As they were walking away Lizzie turns around and waved goodbye to Jake’s father.
“It’s as though mother has come back.” Jake said.
“Why say that?” said Lizzie.
“You act just like her. That’s probably what he’s saying right now.”
“Is that why you like me?”
“No! I like you because you’re you. Not my mother but you.”
“Good!”
“I’ll see you tomorrow.”
“Ok!”
“Good night.”
“Bye!”
“First…” Jake grabs Lizzie and kisses her.
“Thank you. I’ve been waiting all night for that.” Lizzie said.
“Me too, but I couldn’t do it in front of my father.” Jake said.
Chapter 6

Lizzie got to the door in the wall and knocked. No one answered. “Maybe they’re not home.” Lizzie thought. She waited for three hours. She finally decided to go home only to find a note from Jake. It said, “You weren’t home so I left this for you. I have to go away on business for the next week. I’ll come over the second I get home. I love you!”
On Friday night Lizzie got a knock on her door. She ran to the door hoping it was Jake. It was! She jumped into his waiting arms and kissed him. They talked all night about everything that had happened while Jake was away. Then the most unexpected thing happened. Jake got down on one knee and proposed to Lizzie. He told her he loved her and didn’t see the point in them waiting any longer. She accepted and two months later they were married.
Chapter 7
Almost three months after their wedding Jake got a message saying he’d been drafted into the army. He left Lizzie promising her he’d write everyday and would miss her always. Lizzie promised the same thing.
After two years she got a message saying Jake was wounded in battle and would be returned home. She was so excited she jumped for joy until she realized the truth of the words.
When she finally reached the hospital near their house she rushed over as quickly as she can to the nursing station. She goes to the room she was told he was in only to find that the man in the bed isn’t Jake. She asks a nurse and she says it’s Jake.
Lizzie begins to cry uncontrollable.
A doctor asks, “What’s wrong?”
“This is supposed to be my husband, Jake but its not!” replies Lizzie.
“What?”
“Its not him.”
“Who is it then?”
“I DON”T KNOW!!!” screamed Lizzie.
“He had dog tags saying he was Jake Black.”
“What?” says Lizzie as she begins laughing.
“What are you laughing at?”
“My husband’s name is Jake Smith.”
“He’s in the room next door Miss.”
“Ok. Thank you!”
As Lizzie walked next door she wondered what Jake would be like. After all it’s been two years. When she walked in the door the same face she had known since she was sixteen greets her. Jake smiled at her and hugged her so tight Lizzie thought he would never let go.
Chapter 9
After three weeks in the hospital Jake was allowed to go home. He didn’t stop smiling the entire way home or even once they got to the apartment.
“What are you so smiley about?” asked Lizzie.
“I have a surprise for you.” Jake said.
“What is it?”
“You’ll see when we get home.”
“Tell me now?”
“No!”
“Fine!”
Once they got home Jake went to the store. Lizzie didn’t want him to but he wouldn’t stop. While he was gone Lizzie looked all around for her present but didn’t find anything. When Jake got back he had a large box in his hands.
“What took you so long?” Lizzie asked.
“I stopped by my father’s house to pick up your present.”
“That’s where you hid it.”
“Yes!”
“So what is it?”
“Open it.”
Lizzie opened the box and inside found a beautiful dress made of silk. It was the color of fire and sparkles. She tried it on to find it is exactly the right size.
“Was it another one of your mother’s dresses?”
“No. I bought this one specially for you.”
“Why?”
“Because when I saw it I thought of you. You fight for what you want and don’t let anything stop you just like fire. Yet you still sparkle and are beautiful.”
“Thank you. I love it and I love you.”
“I love you too.”
The rest of the night they talked about everything they could think of. Jake died the next night from his battle injury. Every night Lizzie puts on her sparkly, fire red dress and thinks of Jake. She visits Jake’s dad almost as often as she visits her own parents. She has never found and never will find anyone that makes her as happy and young as Jake did.