Diaries of Thalia | Teen Ink

Diaries of Thalia

October 7, 2012
By justlikeeponine BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia
justlikeeponine BRONZE, Woodbridge, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Diary,
I got away last night to join Alexander’s army,my long brown curls gone with the wind. I chopped them off last night with the kitchen knife. Only one other person knows my secret, Agathais. He’s leaving for war too and promised to help my secret stay a secret. I’m so scared someone from my village may realize who I really am,the sun is going down, I will write more when I can.

Sincerely,


Thalia
Dear Diary,
Training camp is harder than I’d imagine it’d ever be. My fellow trainers know me as Yanni, Agathais’s younger brother. I try to keep up with them,but everyday I grow weaker. I can’t show it though because the great Alexander is coming to inspect our troops. He needs us for his invasion into Egypt. The leader of the camp says Alexander is expected to be at our camp within a week. I am so nervous that he may see my femininity through the dirt and grime that now stain my face. I think I hear someone coming,will write when I can.

Sincerely,


Thalia
Dear Diary,
I met another female today. Her name is Kaethe, we promised to keep each other safe. We both are in danger of getting caught. I told Agathais about her so he can help hide her secret as well. The light of the moon is slowly fading, I must go.

Sincerely, Thalia
Dear Diary,
The sun is rising from the east as I write this. The Great Alexander is expected to arrive at our camp in a matter of moments. I prayed to Zeus last night, for the Great Alexander is said to be his son and I need all the strength I can get. All of the warriors have great respect for him even though they have never seen him before. Tales of his strength and cunning travel throughout the camp. Uh-oh, I hear the sound of horses hooves. I will write more when I can.

Sincerely,


Thalia

Dear Diary,
God bless the Great Alexander. He knew that Kaethe and I were both women. The guards took us away to be dealt with later. I looked back at Agthais with alarm, he mouthed the words “? '?????” as I left. I can’t believe Agthais told me he loved me. Kaethe and I were waiting for what seemed like hours for the Great Alexander to arrive back to his tent where we were waiting. When he saw the scared looks on our faces he said “I ????? ??? ?????? ?? ???; I bring peace to you.” We were going to live! We explained our reasons for joining,to save our families pain. We were sentenced to being ladies to Diruses’s mother and wife. Both women spoke of how the Great Alexander saved their lives. The mother who we were told to call Janni exclaimed after we told our tale “?????? ??? ???? ?????; he was sent from the Gods” I would lay down my life with gratitude for the Great Alexander saved my life.

Sincerely,

Thalia
Dear Diary,
We were told we just arrived in Egypt, as we passed we saw people bowing down to the Royal Caravan. Janni has become such a dear friend and I am so glad that she chose me to serve her. I see Kaethe often for her mistress often visits her mother-in-law. I have seen my dear Agthais for his band of soldiers is part of the invasion. Yes, I do call him “my Agthais” , something has changed between the two of us since he told me he loved me. I must go, Janni is calling for me.

Sincerely,


Thalia

Dear Diary,
My beloved Agthais is dead. A small band of Egyptian rebels attacked the carvan as we traveled farther into Egypt. They were quickly defeated,but not without some bloodshed. Janni has given me the rest of the day off so I may mourn the death of my dear friend and love. I watched as two soldiers buried his body where his final breath was taken. We have decided to stop the caravan until midnight when it is safer to travel. I feel his spirit wrapped around me as i write these words into my journal. I can almost hear him saying “?? ????? ????? ???? ???.” I will always be with you.

Sincerely,


Thalia


The author's comments:
I wrote this for a history class but thought the concept was cool