Cupid

You know, I get the blame for everything. You humans are so unappreciative. I mean, come on, I have been around for ages helping you be happier and you always point your fingers at me when you let stupid things such as pride or inconvenience get in the way of your joy. Make fun of my bow and arrows, make statues of me looking like some naked baby. You know, after a few hundred years one does overcome diapers and twenty-four inches.

In case you haven’t already guessed my name, it’s Cupid. Yep. The one and only complete with my bow, arrows, and wings. You’d be surprise to know that many of you have seen me, disguised in jeans and a T-shirt. I look like any normal teenage boy around the age of seventeen or so. I have golden locks, blue eyes, a muscular body, and I WEAR CLOTHES (I just thought I’d point that out).

I’ve been around a long time, centuries, millennia. And you people never change! I swear! You take history don’t you?! How can you not see the patterns repeating themselves over and over again? How are you so blind to why you are unhappy? You blame it on love. Every stinking time. You know that’s not what caused the Roman empire to fall, not what started WW II, not what makes people starve over in Africa. In fact, it was the lack of it that started all of those things.
And look at you. Yeah, I’m talking to you. Remember that crush you had? You know who I’m talking about don’t pretend not to. You ‘fell in love’ at first sight. Saw the beauty of the body and went head over heels. You spent all your time daydreaming ending up as a couple. But what about your siblings? The ones who wanted to play with you? But you were too busy chasing after that imagination of yours to pay them any mind. Remember how as the years passed and you grew farther and farther apart and you forgot who the other person was? You lost them and never got that ‘happy ending’ when your crush ditched you for another and broke your heart.
Who did you blame? Love.
Well, let me tell you: I did shoot you with my arrow, but I didn’t link it to that crush. Instead I hit your little brother who everyday waited until you came home from school so he could show you the picture he had drawn. Instead I hit your father who grounded you when you did something stupid so that you would learn that was wrong and not the best thing for you. Instead I hit your old grandma who always seems to be in the way and always tries to share her childhood with you.
You are the one who stole my bow and tried to shoot that kid. And I tried to warn you that it was a bad idea through your friends and your family but you ignored them. I even sent nice substitutes who would treat you right and be kind to you, people who wouldn’t abuse or use you. But you ignored them because they were ‘weird’ or ‘nerdy’ or ‘not cute’.
Your broken heart was never your fault. It was mine and everyone else’s. And after it was broken you pushed everyone who really cared away so you felt alone. You swore no one could possibly understand the pain you were suffering through. You ignored your mother who tried to hug you in comfort. You shunned the concern of your friends and said everything was all right when it clearly wasn’t.
Now I’m not trying to beat you up, not even close. I just want you to open your eyes and see so that you won’t destroy yourself like this again. Believe me when I say I know how it feels to get your heart shattered by someone you care for. I can feel all the hearts that are broken. I felt yours. And so did the ones whose own arrows were linked to yours. We all shared your pain.
And I’m not even saying that I get things right all of the time. I admit I’ve messed up before (Romeo and Juliet are always flung up in my face) but I truly do try. Love is what keeps this crazy world spinning. What keeps things glued together. Love is family. Love is friendship. Love is trust. Love is kindness. Love is hope. Love is joy.
Love is a second chance.
Now stand still. I’m taking aim. And I have the perfect target.

holly1999This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:51 am:
Great story! The idea was very creative and I loved the twist on Cupid. The description and detail you included was great, and the story flowed really well. It drew me in from the beginning and I thought it was really well written. Loved the ending!

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 12, 2013 at 6:14 pm :
Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked it so. :)

thewriter247This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
You are a genius. There's nothing else I can say.

Sept. 17, 2013 at 12:34 pm :
Thank you. :) 

Hanban12This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 22, 2013 at 11:36 am:
I loved this! It was humorous at times and very interesting. The idea is very unique; geez, you're such a great writer! How do you come up with these things???

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm :
You're so nice! ^_^ Thanks!! I really appreciate it!

RarelyJadedThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:20 pm:
I really liked this, it was somehow very funny but teachable at the same time. You're character was relatable... Very interesting twist on Cupid, with the whole family/friends thing:)

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:41 pm :
Thank you! I'm glad you thought so. =)

_Kristen_ said...
Wow. That was extreamly well written. Could you check out my piece called Rosebud? maybe even leave some constructive critisim? it would mean a lot!

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:40 pm :
Sure!     

Labtopnerd This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was a really wonderful piece. I loved where you went with the point of view, and you really got me with the ending. It was also very thought provoking, which is a sign of amazing work. Keep it up. ;)

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:36 pm :
Thanks! :) I'm so glad you liked it. 

CariePierce said...
This is incredibly intersting, and I love it and your writing style. I'll keep an eye out for more from you (:

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:36 pm :
Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!! :)

In_Love_with_Writing said...
This is really good. Nice job! Can you comment and rate some of my stories? Thanks!

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:35 pm :
     Sure!

Crunchman99 said...
I always like when people write through the eyes of a fictional character. It's humorous, and sometimes makes us look at the big picture. Keep writing, my friend.

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:34 pm :
Thank you!!! :D

ShelbyLala said...
Jan. 3, 2013 at 2:42 am:
I actually really like this. It's hard to get me on the fanwagon for a Cupid story. I have too many preset opinions and expectations for Cupid. ((I read a magnificent Cupid a couple years ago and it's shaped my opinion of every other one since.)) This is really good, regardless.

Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:33 pm :
I'm glad you liked it then!! ^___^