Postcards from the Edge | Teen Ink

Postcards from the Edge

By Callaghan PLATINUM, Medford, Massachusetts
Callaghan PLATINUM, Medford, Massachusetts

I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
-Marcus Zusak, The Book Thief

“Postcards From the Edge”

June 18

My Love,
I arrived late last night in the City that Never Sleeps! Or…that might be Los Angeles, I’m not sure. But either way, I’m here in New York now! I can already feel that this is where it’s going to happen for me, right in here in the chaos of the New York City streets. I only wish you had agreed to come with me.

All my love,
Sammy

July 4

Happy 4th of July, Darling!
I’m sitting in Central Park writing this for you and watching the fireworks. What are you doing? You didn’t say much in your last letter; I hope you’re all right! Please, won’t you consider coming here with me? I’ve almost landed a role, I’ll have a job soon, I promise! I wish you were here with me in the dark, watching these wonderful explosions.

Love Forever,
Sam

July 12

Hello, my dear!
I’ve never been so happy, nor missed you so much! I landed that role, the one I was telling you about? I’m going to be on Broadway, Darling! Some of my new friends took me out last night to celebrate, but I missed you too much to really be happy. You sounded upset last time we talked, won’t you tell me what’s going on? It’s not too late for you to ditch Montana and come out here with me!

Missing you always,
Samantha

August 1

Love,
The show opened last night! It went wonderfully, hardly any glitches, and then we all went out later to celebrate! I tell you, there’s no better feeling than stage lights. But…well, Amanda wrote to me, and she told me that there have been rumors spreading around about you. They’re not true, are they, Darling? Why don’t you come up to New York and we’ll talk.

Yours always,
Samantha M.

August 19
Henry,
Why won’t you come to see me? Just stay for a weekend, we’ll go see Central Park and the Museum and get hot dogs at this wonderful stand; real New York tourism, and then you can come see me in the show! There’s not any different reason, is there? New York is just too busy for you? I mean, you were awful eager to send me off, and there have been such rumors! Please, at least explain, for me?

Love you,
Samantha Moore

September 7

Henry, please,
I miss you, Henry! And it’s lonely here in New York, and Amanda wrote me again. She thinks you’re cheating on me, Henry, that you shipped me off here so you could see some other girl. Is that true? Please, tell me it isn’t, I’ll come home if I have too, you’re the most important, you know that, don’t you? You know that I love you?

Yours,
Samantha Jessica Moore

September 28
I don’t understand.

October 12
Amanda was right, wasn’t she? You’re cheating on me? You pretended to encourage me to follow my dreams, but you just wanted me out of the house! Well, FINE. I have a lovely apartment here, friends, a job on Broadway! Keep the house! I don’t need you!

November 1
Henry, I’m lonely. I’m sorry. I miss you.

December 1
Henry?

December 21
I love you, Henry.

Sent from Henry Boyd, 123 Joliard Street, Montana
Never received
I love you too, Samantha.

-Marcus Zusak, The Book Thief

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!

rockyyyyyyyyy SILVER, Lawrenceville, Georgia

dont let people drive u crazy if you know its in walking distance

this is truly unique. i loved every part of it.