Hold My Heart

Every year I'm single on Valentine's Day. Now I have a boyfriend. Someone to call me their girl. Someone to hold my hand and wrap their arms around me. Someone who I can have by my side for everything. I've never felt something so perfect before. It's Tuesday. Highschool is a jungle. You always need to find your way around. It's just another way for people to get chewed up and spit out. Unless of course we have our heroes. That special guy in our lives that will be there when we need them. Today was that day. I was walking down the hall when I passed about 18 girls. Each of them had a rose in their hand. No thorns. Color brighter than Snow White's lips. You know how much I love roses...

I felt a rush of excitement run through me. You've always been the one who knows exactly what I want and that's exactly what you get me. I was kind of surprised to see only a note sticking out of the slits in the locker. It was from you. "Sorry I didn't get you a rose. Or anything. I'm sick today and was told to stay home." That's all you have to say? I'm the only girl who has a boyfriend everyday, but on Valentine's Day, nothing! I slammed my locker shut. I stomped into the class. I wasn't in the mood to be messed with. After class I looked around to make sure no one was looking and snuck into the other hall. The one closest to the main entrance. And exit. If I couldn't spend this day with my guy, then at least I won't spend it at school. Me and him always told eachother that we'd somehow meet in the park and have a picnic. That won't be today.

I decided to have a picnic by myself. I brought chips, a Capri Sun, a spoon, sandwich bread, and a lot of other things from the back of my refrigerator. I walked over to our usual path and sat down at our usual bench next to this weird guy in a hoodie. I started loading the unknown food items onto a piece of bread and took sips of my Capri Sun. The guy was so mysterious. Light brown hair. Green eyes. So familiar it was, frightening. I ate faster and faster so I could get away from him. When I finished scarfing down the mysterious foods, the hoodie guy grabbed my arm. I was about to yell "RAPE!" until he put his hood down.

It's him.

"Hey!" I try to hide my anger and I failed.

"What's up?"

"Nothing. School sucked."

"Then you should be feeling better soon. Come with me."

"What?" I took his hand and he instructed me to close my eyes.

"Don't worry, if you fall, I'll catch you."

Everything was so dark. I was walking up a ramp, through double doors and into a large room. I could tell by the way our footsteps echoed. We walked through some pretty hard stuff because my legs kept banging into stuff. He eventually sat down. I tried to peek through the spaces in his fingers, but all I could see was a bright light. I started hearing more noises. People crowding in around us. Talking on cell phones and telling their children to behave. My eyes were still closed when I heard it. We were at the band concert. It's seven o' clock. Perfect timing. I looked at him and simply smiled. I couldn't believe he remembered. Our first date was at this very same school. In this very same auditorium. Hearing this very same arrangement of music. This was the place where I knew he was the one for me. It brought me back to when he first leaned towards me and whispered in my ear "I would hold your hand right now, but I-I just can't". I loved him for his honesty. We eventually did hold hands. Like how we are right now. I felt as though my heart just swelled up, and I had to smile. It felt so right.

When the concert is over we wait outside. Of course, I'm wearing a dress and it's chilly outside. He takes off his jacket and lays it over my shoulders. I feel my face flush. When I look over at him, he's wearing his plaid shirt. I absolutely love it! He looks amazing in it and I remember trying it on once just so I could make him smile. Now here we are, passing the time. Together.