Homeless Story~ | Teen Ink

Homeless Story~

By GraceRector BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
GraceRector BRONZE, Los Angeles, California

One is not born into the world to do everything, but to do something- David Henry Thoreau

My name is Emily Fander, I am 12 years old, and have been living on the street with my sister Karen since my parents abandoned us two years ago. When I was in school, until 4th grade, I was the smartest in the class. I was educated, I was excited to learn, but then my whole life flipped. I lost my education, my parents, and my friends. My friends were too young to understand what had happened, most of them were confused about the situation. I sat here replaying my life story. I knew I could change my life again, but I just didn’t know how. Life like the breeze whipped me, tossed me around, and I had no control. I was eager to learn again, make a little money, get off the streets, but I knew this will take a great deal of effort. I extended my legs, leaned forward and heaved myself upward knowing my path of education will be much more work and very tough. I walked myself to the nearest gas station to wash up before I go to JMPS, Jetson Mander Public School. I entered the station bathroom and cleansed myself with cold water, watching the brown dirty water slip off my face down the drain. To save a little money, I wash an outfit for the day in that same bathroom sink, watching that same brown residue trickle down the drain. I squeezed as much water as I could out of my clothes and walked over to the nearest Laundromat. I emptied my pockets, and found I had one dollar, so I entered and dried my clothes for fifty cents. I retrieved my clean and now dry clothes and ran back to the bathroom to change into them. As soon as I put them on, I could feel the warmth of the fabric against my skin. I left, feeling cozy and nice, but nervous about my next destination. I inch forward slower and slower by each step, my steps are weighed down by worry. Worry that the school will ask me for proof of my address. Worry that I wont have the right answers to the questions kids will ask me. I keep walking with all the worries still flashing through my mind as I reach JMPS. I reach the stairs and enter, trying to look as calm as possible. I approach the secretary in the office with frizzed jet-black hair, a slouched posture, and a crooked smile. “Hello, I would like to enroll in this school” I said as boldly as possible. She looked at me with a grin and replied, “Do you have a gas bill or some other proof of your address?” I thought to myself of course I don’t have a gas bill, I’m homeless. But instead I said, “Oh, my mom is working today and forgot to give it to me, can I start today, and bring it tomorrow?” She looked at me kindly and said, “ I’m sorry honey, your going to have to come back tomorrow with your mother and the bill.” I smiled and replied, “okay see you tomorrow” knowing, that I had neither a bill nor a mother to bring back tomorrow.

I do a lot of community service with the homeless, and I understand some homeless people's life stories, but I wanted to right this piece to show what it might be like as a homeless tween living with her sister.

DPine said...
These kids are survivors. With this resourcefulness and creativity, no telling what they could do if given a chance.

Rebecca Goble, Auburn, New York
This is so sad... But I can totally relate to it, which makes it even more sad...

Axela17 GOLD said...
Axela17 GOLD, New Bremen, Ohio

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live by the body, I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." -Galatians 2:20

The last sentences are very powerful

teacher said...
Is this a true story?

on Jun. 25 2014 at 1:27 am

Thank you for sharing your story. I would love to be in contact... Maybe I could help communicate your story?

hello,   Im 19 I am homelsess and i have been through some crazy life situations Ive been trying to write about the stuff thats happend in my life but not a very good organizer in my thoughts. I woyld like to get my story out there.... I have been off and on the streets traveling where ever  i can find shelter. graduated high school which was tough. maintained jobs and relationship since 13 years old when Ive also been in and out of foster home and my dad was an alcoholic who passed away and a drug addict mom who neglicted me for men

angie said...
on May. 3 2014 at 2:05 am
I am alone, no place to call home. I share my secrets with the wind. like a maggot to a fly, I spread my wings tonight for a place to call home. I will keep you warm if you keep me safe tonight. The demons in my mind are screaming so loud theres tears in my eyes. I sink to my knees as the last scream is heard. Theres frost in the air, this is no place for a fly. 

This was a very sad story i just wish  people who are not homeless would care more . i feel like people now a days are self fish and all they care about is them selfs that  is why i m making a speech about homeless people and how homeless have a right to. we just have to to give them a chance to show other people what  homeless can so for us.

Reistones said...
on Sep. 7 2012 at 1:53 am
Reistones, Manhattan Beach, California

Oh dear, it appears I have sinned.

That's so sad ;-;