When Love Takes Over | Teen Ink

When Love Takes Over

February 28, 2012
By LoveWriting01 BRONZE, Urbandale, Iowa
LoveWriting01 BRONZE, Urbandale, Iowa
4 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down."

--Abraham Lincoln


He ruffled my hair and let a tear escape from his heart. His eyebrows, pushed together, made a V and his lips pursed as he held in one of his last breaths. The milk brown eyes that had captured mine are now tired and lifeless. He was just like glass; breakable.

My heart is bloodied beaten and my lungs have collapsed. I let my feelings break out as I looked away. I don’t want to look at him, but more importantly, I don’t want him to look at me. My makeup is soiled and my hair is tangled but that isn’t why. Shame has overcome me and I am helpless once more.

I had nothing to say to him. For once I had no excuse. There is not one thing I can say to make this moment less painful. What I had done destroyed us both and to think I had gambled with his heart instead of my own, my stomach quarrels and my mind begins to ache with remorse. I am guilty and ready or not, I am going to face the penalty now. There he is and here I am. Nothing can justify this moment, for what I did was beyond immorality.

“These hands…” He started quietly. “These hands have touched the body of sin and are unapologetic. The body of sin is compelling but corrupt. Yet, you do regret the mistake but you would do it again if you got the chance. For that your hands are cracked and dry; they are ugly and gross.” He pulled his hand from mine and I bit my lip as tears came to my eyes. I’m not ready for this, but then again, I never will be.

“This face has turned ugly for the wicked enjoys it, whatever attracts them I cannot endure. The smile you gave is devious, lustful and disgusts me. I want nothing to do with it. I can live my whole life without ever seeing it again.” By this time I couldn’t help but breakdown with guilt. Tears wet my face and my body quivered with blame. “And for that, your smile is crooked and fake.” I felt my heart skip a beat. This feeling of blame and fault is ungodly and I feel I’d rather die then continue on with this feeling.

He turned away from me and said with a prickly voice, “And those eyes… The eyes that had lied and cheated; the eyes that had won my heart but also broken it. They sang me a song to sleep and as much as I fell for it, they also woke me up. And for that, they are glass and blind.”

My hand went to my mouth as I held in a cry, but the tears kept coming and as much as I hate it, I let it be. I deserved this and more. He was silent and I felt broken down into nothing. To rewind this and go back is a wish I plead to God to give me. Bu I know right now, nothing will help me. Not even an eraser.

I got up to leave. As I opened the room door, I looked back at him. He had turned to watch me go and as our eyes met for the last time, I didn’t want to leave. For just a moment, I didn’t want to let him go.

He sighed and got up from the bed. Weakly, he slowly walked to me and put his hand to my cheek. We looked at each other for just a split second. I knew that what I had done was wrong, but I felt twenty times worse than I should. He had always been the best and I had always been the worst. This moment, proved it to be correct. And then he let his hand fall from my cheek and my heart split right then.

“But your heart is so beautiful. It is so wonderful and takes these hands and makes them clean. Its takes this face and gives it life and justice,” He brushed my hair from my eyes as he continued, “And it takes those eyes and makes them see. For that, I love you.” And that’s when I realized I loved him too.

The author's comments:
I'm not one for romance, so this is new to me. But I do love this write.