Born Rich | Teen Ink

Born Rich

January 9, 2012
By Catch SILVER, Willow Springs, Missouri
Catch SILVER, Willow Springs, Missouri
9 articles 10 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
Never ever give up! Don't listen to what people say they will just try to shove you in the dirt. Listen to your heart.


ACT 1






SCENE 1






(The narrator is sitting on a stool in a fancy






tuxedo explaining the background of the






story. )

(Curtains open)
Narrator
The Maxwell family considers themselves high class and above everyone else. They have the best of everything; jobs, clothing, computers. Ruby and Julie even go to a private college (the best in the world).

The Williams family came from nothing. They are farmers making a living off of their land. They give to everyone and they always lend a helping hand. Everyone likes the Williams family.
(Curtains Close)








SCENE 2






(Julie and Ruby are at the college getting






ready to leave.)

(Curtains open, Julie and Ruby are talking)
Ruby
I don’t know why mom and dad sent us to Alabama to go to college; the only thing down here is hicks, hillbillies, and wannabe rich people.

Julie
Maybe you need to give people a chance, Ruby.

Ruby
Julie, you know mom wouldn’t want us fraternizing with these people.










Julie
Who cares what mom says!
(Julie walks off the stage in one direction and Ruby walks the other way. The curtains close)
SCENE 3
(Hank is walking out to his big jacked up muddy truck.)

(The curtains open and Hank is walking out to his big jacked up muddy truck. Julie runs into Hank)
Julie
Ouch

Hank
Sorry. I dident see you there.

Julie
It is ok. My name is Julie Maxwell.

Hank
My name is Hank Williams.

Julie
You have a strange accent. Where are you from, Hank?

Hank
I live on a farm here in Alabama. I came here to get a good education. My accent yousta be worse. School and college have helped.

(Julie motions towards Hanks truck)
Julie
Nice truck.

Hank
It is a typical country boy’s truck. It’s not the cleanest but it sure does run good. I don’t have the money to wash it and put gas in it.

Julie
I like the truck. I’m tired of being chaperoned and riding nice cars everywhere I go. I told my chaperone I was going to walk home today.

Hank
I could take you home if you would like.
Julie
Sure but I don’t want to go home yet, could you show me around Dozier, Alabama?

Hank
Sure
(Hank opens the door to his truck and Julie gets in then Hank walks around the truck and drives off. Curtains close.)








SCENE 4






(Ruby and Jenette are sitting at the table






talking.)

(Curtains open.)
Jenette
Ruby where is your sister?

Ruby
Charles said Julie called him and said she was walking home, but when we drove by the front of the college I saw Julie talking to a roughed up boy standing in front of a muddy truck.

Jenette
Hmm.
(Curtains close)








SCENE5






(The narrator is standing in a fancy tuxedo






wearing a cowboy hat.)

(Curtains open and narrator is talking)
Narrator
Julie’s mom never confronted Julie, so Julie thought her mom didn’t know about Hank. Four months passed and Julie decided to tell her parents about Hank.
(Curtains close)









SCENE 6






(Julie and Hank are going to expose






themselves to Julie’s parents)

(Curtains open. Julie and Hank are holding hands walking to the front door of Julie’s house. Julie’s mom and dad meet Julie before she reaches the door.)
Jenette
What do you think you are doing holding a hicks arm Julie?

Julie
Mom!

Kyle
Julie, your mom is right. I thought we raised you better.

Julie
You raised us to think our life is full of riches, but it is not. I like Hank and he may or may not be rich but I don’t care.

Jenette
Julie I never thought we would have to do this but you are no longer part of this family
(Julie looks hurt and runs to hanks truck)
Hank
I love Julie and she loves me. Sorry I am not rich.





(Hank gets in his truck and drives off curtains close)








SCENE 7






(Hank is showing Julie his farm)

(Curtains open)
Hank
This is the milk barn; this is the bull pasture…
(Hanks dad cuts in)
Randy
Hank who are you showing the farm to?
Hank
Dad, this is Julie, my girlfriend.
Randy
Hi Julie.
(Randy holds out his hand and Julie shakes his hand)
Randy
I’m Randy, Hanks dad.
Julie
Hi Randy.

Randy
Boy, go tell your momma to set another place at the table cauze weve got a visitor.

Hank
Yes sir.

(Hank and Julie walk inside Hank’s house. Curtains close.)








SCENE 8






(Hank and Julie are star gazing)

(Curtains open. Hank and Julie are looking up at the stars. Julie’s phone rings.)
Julie
Hello?

Jenette
Julie come home, please. We will work something out.

Julie
Why should I?

Jenette
Ruby convinced me. This could be good for us. We could get to know people different from us.

Julie
Fine momma.
(Curtains close.)








SCENE 9






(Hank is taking Julie home)

(Curtains open. Julie gets out of Hank’s truck and Hank slips a note to Julie. Julie walks up the steps and into the house. Julie walks to her room and shuts the door. Julie pulls out the note and reads it.)

Hank
(In the background)
Dear Julie,
We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love. This bracelet is my promise to you. I love you Julie.







Love,







Hank
(Julie picks up the bracelet and starts to cry happily. Curtains close)







SCENE 10






(Narrator is sitting at a dinner table wearing






a cowboy hat and boots in a fancy tuxedo.)

(Curtains open.)
Narrator
The next morning Julie’s mom woke Julie and demanded her to ask Hank’s parents to go to lunch and talk with Julie’s parents. Julie did as her mom asked and Mr. and Mrs. Williams were eating with Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell at the fanciest restaurant in town.
(Curtains close.)


SCENE 11






The Maxwells and the Williams are at the






restaurant eating.)

(Curtains open)
Randy
Our son has takin’ a likin’ in your daughter. Your daughter is very perty and nice.

Kyle
Thank You. Our children refuse to be apart from each other. There is no way this can continue. You are poor and we are rich. How do we know they are not together because of money?

Nikki
With all due respect, we honestly didn’t know you were rich we knew you had money but we didn’t know you were rich. Honestly we had no idea…

Kyle
Ma’am, may I ask how exactly did they meet then?

Nikki
Hank has saved his money to get into the nicest school. I suppose that is where they meet.
(Everyone at the table stands up Kyle and Randy shakes hands then they leave. Curtains close.)








SCENE 12






(The Maxwells are at the Williams house






visiting.)

(Curtains open)
Jenette
I didn’t know you had a daughter?
Nikki
Yes Natlie is our little charm. I had another daughter but she was killed by a tornado. We don’t talk about her much.

Jenette
Oh, I’m sorry I did’t know.

Nikki
It’s fine.
(Randy and Kyle walk in.)

Kyle
Jenette, are you ready to go?

Jenette
Sure. Ruby, go get Julie and tell her it is time to go.

Ruby
Can we stay Momma?

Nikki
We don’t mind, we can drop them off at your house later.
Jenette
Ok.
(Jenette and Kyle leave. Hank walks in.)

Hank
Momma, can I saddle up Sandy and let Julie ride her?

Nikki
Sure.
(Curtains close)








SCENE 13






(Julie is on Sandy and Hank is walking her.)

(Curtains open)

Hank
Try to not be afraid. Horses can feel it.

Julie
Ok.

Hank
Sandy is normally a calm horse but she gets spooked by snakes.
(Hank reaches up and unhooks the lead rope.)
Why don’t you have her walk around the rink a couple of times.

Julie
Like this?

Hank
Well….
(Julie stops Sandy)

Julie
Well cowboy, why don’t you saddle up your hause and show me how it’s done.
(Hank walks into the barn and brings out his horse, Cold Wind.)

Hank
Julie this is Cold Wind my cross country horse.

Julie
Wow, it’s beautiful.
(Hank trots his horse around the ring.)

Hank
Do you like her?

Julie
Her? You make her look good.

Hank
Really? Hey, watch this.
(Hank bows his horse.)

Julie
Wow, did she just bow?

Hank
Yea. She bows if we win of if I ask her to.

Julie
That is amazing.

Hank
How do you feel about ridding in the pasture?

Julie
That sounds fun.
(Curtains close)








SCENE 14






(Narrator is sitting on a couch wearing






cowboy boots, cowboy hat and chewing on a






weed.)
(Curtains open)
Narrator
The next 4 months Julie and Ruby spent most of their time over at the Williams house. Ruby would play with Natlie and Julie would ride horses with Hank.
(Curtains close)








SCENE 15






(Julie and Hank are ridding in the pasture.)

(Curtains open)
Hank
How does Sandy feel today?

Julie
I think she wants to go faster but I haven’t even tried that yet.

Hank
Watch me it is not that hard.
(Hank trots Cold Wind around the pasture.)
Now you try.
(Julie trots her horse)

Julie
Like this?

Hank
Yea. Now stop her.
(Julie stops Sandy. Hank rides over to Julie and hooks the lead rope on Sandy’s halter)
Hank
Now why don’t we try cantering? If Sandy starts acting up we will stop.
(Hank pulls Sandy to a canter.)
Good job Julie!

Julie
Wow, I feel like I can conquer the world!

Hank
Don’t get a big head.
(Hank slows Cold Wind and reaches down and unhooks the lead rope from Sandy.)
See if you can canter Sandy around the field.
(Julie canters Sandy around the field twice and then pulls Sandy to a stop beside Hank.)

Julie
Good?

Hank
Yeah. Why don’t we walk our horses to the cross country track?

(Curtains close.)








SCENE 16






(Hank and Julie are riding around the track






in a canter dodging jumps. Hank’s mom






yells for Hank.)

Nikki
Hank, why don’t you and Julie get warshed up for supper.

Hank
Ok, Momma. Come on Julie, let’s put Sandy and Cold Wind up and get ready for supper.
(Curtains close.)








SCENE 17






(Narrator is sitting in a school desk wearing






a cowboy hat, cowboy, chewing on a piece






of hay with a big huge belt buckle.)

Narrator
Julie loved Hank so much she didn’t want to be away from him. Most of their college classes were the same and Hank drove Julie to his house after school, then home around 9:30 p.m. every night. Then he went to Julie’s house every morning to take her to college.
(Curtains close.)







SCENE 18






(Julie and Hank are at the cross country






track.)

(Curtains open.)
Hank
Julie why don you take Sandy around the track a couple of times jumping the low logs, by yourself.

Julie
Ok.
(Julie canters Sandy around track once then started around again then Sandy stumbles, Julie slows her down and then she bolts and Julie falls off.)

Hank
Julie!
(Hank canters Cold Wind up to Julie, Hank Jumps off of Cold Wind and sits besides Julie.)

Hank
Julie?
(Hank looks down at Julie’s arm and see’s it is broken and her head has a bump on it.)

Hank
Oh no.
(Hank prays.)
Hang on Julie.
(Hank picks up Julie and gets on Cold Wind and Hank canters Cold Wind to the house jumping everything in his way.)
Momma! Momma, hurry and get out here!
(Hank’s mom comes out of the house)

Nikki
Oh good Lord. What happened to her?

Hank
I don’t know Sandy stumbled, Julie slowed her down then Sandy bolted and Julie fell off.

Nikki
Go inside and call the ambulance and call Julie’s mom.

Hank
Ok.
(Hank goes inside. Curtains close.)








SCENE 19






(Julie is at the hospital getting x-rays the






Williams and the Maxwell families are






waiting in the waiting room.)

Jenette
How did this happen?

Randy
Our house got spooked and Julie fell off.

Jenette
Your horse got spooked… Why was my daughter ridding a spooky horse?

Randy
Sandy isn’t a spooky hause. There must have been a snake near her or she wouldn’t have spooked.

Jenette
We will see if that horse spooks after I own it through a court order.

Kyle
Jenette all things get spooked and we are not taking this to court.

Randy
Now hold on just a minute…

Janette
Don’t you hold on me.

Hank
Janette wait a minute. Sandy is a good horse. You can’t do anything about a spooky horse.

Jenette
You can kill it.

Hank
You wouldn kill Sandy. Julie wouldn let you.

Jenette
I don’t want Julie or Ruby around any of you stay away from them.
(Curtains close.)








SCENE 20






(Hank is riding Ruby looking for






Sandy.)

(Curtains open. Hank is talking to himself.)
Hank
Sandy where are you?
(Sandy Neighs)
Oh Sandy.
(Hank see’s Sandy by the river and he goes down to make sure she is alright.)
Sandy why did you bolt?
(Hank runs his hand down Sandiest left front leg and feels blood.)
Sandy you were bit by a snake. Come on we need to get you to the house and call a vet.
(Curtains close.)








SCENE 21






(Vet is telling Hank and Randy the






news.)

Mr. Rouse
Hank, Cold Wind sprung a tendon in his back left leg. He needs to take it slow for a couple of months. Sandy got bit by a poisonous snake. I gave her some anti-venom and some pain killers. She will be lucky if she makes it thought the night. She may never be ride able again. The best thing to do…

Hank
No I will not put her down. Sandy saved my life. I won’t do that to her.

Randy
Hank you have lost more than this hause is worth.

Hank
What do you mean?

Randy
You lost Julie over the hause and before that you almost lost your life.

Hank
I aint putting her down.
(Curtains close.)









SCENE 22






(The Narrator is sitting on a bale of







hay wearing a cowboy hat, cowboy







boots, a huge belt buckle, chewing on







a piece of hay and is slacks rolled up







and a fancy dress shirt.)

Narrator
Julie couldn’t stand not seeing Hank but she knew her mom forbade her to talk to him. Hank new Sandy nearly killed the love of his life and because of that he can’t see her now. Hank and Julie were determined to see each other again.
(Curtains close.)









SCENE 23






(Julie is calling Hank.)

Hank
Hello?

Julie
Hey my mom said I couldn’t see or talk to you ever again but I have too.
Hank
I know. I’m about ta go crazy just sittin here.

Julie
What about school?

Hank
I had to drop out so I could take care of Sandy and Cold Wind.

Julie
What is wrong with them?

Hank
Cold Wind sprung a tendon he isn’t supposed to do anything heavy for a while. Sandy…
(Hank sighs.)

Julie
Sandy what? What happened to Sandy?

Hank
Sandy got bit and… Dr. Rouse doesn’t think she will last the night.

Julie
She has to.

Hank
Yea.
(Hank sighs.)

Julie
There is something between you and Sandy isn’t there?

Hank
Yea she saved my life from a stampede of cows before I had Cold Wind.

Julie
I didn’t know. How did the stampede start?

Hank
Sandy through me and ran around the cows because she saw a snake. She spooked up the cows and they started to race my way. Sandy out ran them and stood between me and the cows. The cows ran around her.

Julie
Wow Sandy is a life saver. Oh no someone is coming I will call you later.
(Julie hangs up the phone and Hank looks hurt and he hangs up the phone. Curtains close.)








SCENE 24






(Hank is in his bed room holding his







college savings and talking to








himself.)

Hank
I have to see her again. Ruby can’t run that far with a rider because she has no shoes. Cold Wind is injured. Max is Spookish.
(Hank’s mom walks in.)

Nikki
What are you doing?
(Hank jumps.)

Hank
Mom! I have to see her. She called me today. I can tell in her voice that she misses me.

Nikki
Hank you can’t kidnap her from the hospital.

Hank
I’m not going to.

Nikki
Ok.
(Nikki leaves.)
Hank
I could…
(Hank’s dad walks in.)

Randy
Hey Hank.
(Hank jumps.)
I just wanted ta tell ya sometin. If you have ta see her. Wait till she is home then see her Romeo.

Hank
Are you telling me to go see her?

Randy
I can’t help ya anymore. Oh and by the way this talk never happened. Julie is getting out of the hospital today and she can go back to her normal activities tomorrow. See ya later.

Hank
See ya dad.
(Curtains close.)








SCENE 25






(The Narrator is sitting on a horse







wearing a cowboy hat, cowboy








boots, a huge belt buckle, chewing on







a piece of hay and is slacks rolled up







and his dress shirt sleeves are rolled







up.)

Narrator
Julie went back to her normal self. She hadn’t heard from or called Hank. Julie was starting to lose hope. Hank was getting ready for his daring rescue. He planned to ride his half wild horse Rainbow and take Ruby for Julie. The shortest distance is 4 miles. Pushing Rainbow he could make it to her house in an hour and a half.
(Curtains close.)







SCENE 26






(Hank is riding to Julie’s house.







Pushing Rainbow but not too hard.)

Hank
Come on Rainbow we only have a mile left to go running then we will walk in town. Come on Ruby.
Ruby nickers. You can hear the Narrator in the back ground.)

Narrator
Hank Got to Julie’s house at 11:30p.m. if he could wake Julie they could get to his farm at 6:00a.m. Hank’s rescue was so far working out.

Hank
Good job Rainbow and Ruby.
(Hank gets off of Rainbow and picks up some small rocks. Hank throughs them at Julie’s window.)
Julie! Julie wake up!
(Julie opens her window and looks down.)

Julie
Hank! How did you…? You rode the horse didn’t you?

Hank
Yea. Hurry up and get dressed and get down here.

Julie
Ok!
(Curtains close.)








SCENE 27






(Hank and Julie are half way back to






the farm.)




Hank
Julie, what will your mom think?

Julie
I don’t know. She hates you guys. I tried to talk to her but she says you are a bad influence.

Hank
I may never get to see you again.

Julie
I Know.
(Julie reaches over and takes Hank’s hand.)

Hank
Julie I got you something. I know you are going to think I am stupid but you are now the owner of Sandy if she lives.

Julie
Hank…

Hank
No Julie listen! Sandy saved my life and she saved your too.

Julie
How did she save my life?

Hank
Sandy got bit. I guess you were her first priority because she carried you till the next turn then she through you. She took you away from the snake.

Julie
Oh. What if she doesn’t make it?

Hank
Doc. has been keeping an eye on her when he can. He doesn’t think she will live for much longer but you should own her why’ll you can. If she does make it she may never be fit to ride again.

Julie
I want to see her before she dies.

Hank
Ok. When we get back you can.
(Curtains close.)








SCENE 28






(Hank and Julie are at the barn with







Sandy.)

(Curtains open.)
Julie
She looks bad. How long do you think she has?

Hank
I don’t know her mom was my dad’s horse and her dad was wild. Sandy has fight in her but I probably didn’t get to her soon enough. I found her by the river we passed over. Her dad died there.

Julie
Wow…
(Julie’s mom and dad pull up and goes into Hank’s house.)

Hank
Julie follow me!
(Hank and Julie go up to the hayloft.)
Julie hide behind those hay bales.

Julie
Ok.
(Julie hides and Hank troughs a bale of hay out of the loft. Hank’s dad and Julies parents come into the barn.)

Randy
Hank!

Hank
Here dad.

Randy
What are ya doing up there?
Hank
I’m getting some hay for Sandy.

Randy
I need to talk ta you son get down here.
(Hank climbs down the ladder and cuts the string off of the bale of hay and feeds it to Sandy.)
Did you go to the Maxwells last night?

Hank
Maybe.

Kyle
Where is our daughter?

Hank
I don know and even if I did I wouldn tell you.
(Kyle punches Hank and Hank falls to the ground.)
What was that for?

Kyle
You know where she is and your not telling us. Tell us where she is!
(Hank gets back up.)

Hank
Make me.
(Kyle troughs another punch and Hank dodges it.)

Julie
Quit. I called Hank and told him to come get me. I am 19 and you guys still treat me like I am 4.

Kyle
Get down here.

Julie
No.
(Kyle pulls out cell phone and walks out side.)
Go call the cops they can’t do anything!
(Julie climbs down the latter and walks to Hank with a rag in her hand.)
Your nose looks broke.

Hank
It wouldn’t be the first time.
(You can hear a cop car coming down the road. A cop comes in the bar and starts to ask questions.)

Cop
I got a call about a kidnap.

Kyle
That boy kidnapped my daughter.

Cop
How old are you boy?

Hank
19.

Cop
You can be locked up for a really long time for that boy…

Julie
He didn’t kidnap me.

Cop
How old are you missy?

Julie
I am 19.

Cop
Do you have proof like a birth certificate or driver’s license?

Julie
Yes I have my license.

Cop
Yes I see. Mr. Maxwell your daughter is a legal adult she can go wherever she likes. Boy what are you holding to your nose?

Kyle
Nothing, he is holding nothing to his nose.
(Hank lowers the rag and blood pours out. Hank puts the rag back on his nose.)

Cop
Who did this to you?
(Julie points to her dad.)

Julie
My dad punched him.

Cop
Well Mr. Maxwell another charge against you.
(The cop hand cuffs Kyle and turns to Hank.)
Boy you should have your nose checked out and I am sorry for taking your time Mr. Williams.
(Cop leaves.)

Jenette
This is not the first time Kyle has been put in jail for punching someone, and Hank I will pay for your doctor bills. Julie it looks like you have chosen your home. Goodbye.

Hank
Thank you.
(Jenette leaves. Julie starts to laugh.)
What is so funny?

Julie
Nothing, just nothing.
(Sandy nickers and stands up.)
Sandy.

Hank
What?
Julie
Look Sandy is standing.
(Hank turns.)

Hank
Well Julie it looks like you got yourself an early Christmas present.
(Vet walks in.)

Mr. Rouse
When did she get up?

Hank
Just a second ago.

Mr. Rouse
Let me check her over.
(Mr. Rouse looks Sandy over.)
She looks fine. If you have any problems call me.

Randy
Ok. See you Mr. Rouse.
(Vet walks out. Curtains close.)








SCENE 29






(Narrator is dressed like a farmer






sitting on a fence.)

Narrator
Hank and Julie got married and Julie’s dad went to prison where he turned senile and he killed himself. Hank got the family farm out of debt and he started to expand the farm. Now Hank and Julie live on the ranch and they turned part of it in to a tourist attraction. Sandy died two days after she stood up. Mr. Rouse said, “Sandy probably died from exhaustion.” Hank bought Julie a wild foal from the Wild Horse Adoption Burrow (WHAB). The foal grew up to be a beautiful blue roan mare. Hanks nose ended up crooked. Five years after Hank and Julie got married Julie got pregnant they had a beautiful daughter and named her Sandy in memory of Sandy the horse.
(Curtains close.)


The author's comments:
CHARACTERS
Kyle



Early 30’s, the father of Julie and Ruby and a






husband to Jenette.
Jenette



Late 20’s, the mother of Julie and Ruby and the





wife of Kyle.
Ruby



18 and the younger sister of Julie and the





daughter of Kyle and Jenette.
Julie



19 and the older sister of Ruby and the daughter





of Kyle and Jenette.
Charles


Charles is the chaperone of Julie and Ruby
Randy




Mid 30’s and a struggling farmer father of Hank





and Natlie and husband to Nikki.
Nikki





Early 30’s an awesome cook and mother of





Hank and Natlie and wife of Randy.
Hank



19 and the older brother to Natlie and the son of





Randy and Nikki. He wants the farm to prosper.
Natlie



14 and the younger sister to Hank and the





daughter of Randy and Hank.
Mr. Rouse

Late 40’s and always willing to do anything to





help animals. Mr. Rouse is a vet.
Cop



Early 20’s and is always protesting the law
Setting

On Randy’s farm, at the college, and at Julie’s house.
Time

Late October through early November (around Christmas time)