Virgin Lips | Teen Ink

Virgin Lips

November 17, 2011
By QueenOfQuirky SILVER, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
QueenOfQuirky SILVER, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
5 articles 5 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”- Dr. Seuss


“I’ve never been kissed.”

My best friend, Harper, immediately stops her ramble on how we’re graduating high school next month and the fact that she had just made out with her boyfriend behind the bleachers fifteen minutes ago. My comment makes her drop her other topics as if it they were bombs about to explode.

“What?”

“You heard me.”

She stares at me with disbelief, her jaw dropping so low, it’s a wonder it’s still part of her face.

“Wait, so you didn’t kiss Ben when you two were going out? I thought you did.”

She’s talking about my ex-boyfriend from seventh grade, Benjamin Turner. I had liked him a lot at the time, and when he kept asking me to kiss him, I refused because I was nervous. So, he broke up with me. Apparently, he must have lied to his friends, saying that he did kiss me and that he broke up with me because my breath smelled like puke or something. But that wasn’t true, for my lips have still never had their first kiss, even though I’m turning eighteen next week, which I find pretty pathetic.

“No, I didn’t kiss him.” I admit.

“Seriously, Mia? We need to get you your first kiss!”

She giggles, and I let out an annoyed sigh. I had a feeling it would come to this. But, if my first kiss requires a date with some random guy Harper chooses, so be it. I want my first kiss, and I want it now.

I have a few reasons why I think I haven’t kissed anyone yet.
1) I am a total bookworm and am constantly reading books, especially fantasy novels from the eighties.
2) I still haven’t figured out how to do makeup quite yet, and I’m sure guys would prefer a girl with a butt-load of makeup than a girl who usually wears none at all.
3) I don’t really think I’m that pretty, even though Harper keeps telling me that I am.
4) I’m a bit on the tall side; 5”7 to be exact.
5) I have glasses, which practically screams “Nerd!” And I am a nerd, so that only
makes it worse.
6) The crazy, untamed, big fat rat’s nest on my head is what I call my hair. (Okay, maybe I’m exaggerating a little bit, but it still is pretty messy.)
7) My grades are just about perfect. All A’s. I’m such an over-acheiver.

“So, do you like any guys right now?” Harper questions, eyes wide and an eager grin on her face.

“Um...well Caleb’s kinda cute I guess.” I respond, shakily.

Caleb is my lab partner in chemistry, and throughout High School I have always thought he was cute, but I have been too shy to do anything about it. He’s got this shaggy black hair, green eyes, and a killer smile. He’s in a band too, which isn’t really that popular, but plays really well. I even went to see them when they performed, but I was still too nervous to go tell them how awesome their music was. That’s just typical Mia, I guess.

“Oh my gosh, really? He’s Dominic’s friend! (Her boyfriend) This is sooo going to work out! You’ll be kissing him in no time!” She assures me.

But I’m still not so sure.

---

“Are you serious, Caleb?” Dominic asks, “You know she went out with Ben in seventh grade?”

“Dead serious, man.” I reply, “And I know that they went out. But, frankly, I don’t care.”

I had just told Dominic how long I’ve been crushing on Mia McBrair. Ever since seventh grade, when I first laid my eyes on her, I’ve been in love with her. I was heartbroken when I saw her go out with Ben, though, and I really hoped that he was lying about how her breath tasted like vomit. Ben was my bud, and even plays bass in my band, Hopeless Avenue. But that was so long ago, and I doubt that he even remembers her anymore.

“I mean, she’s such a nerd. Every time I see her, she’s reading a book.”

“Don’t call her that.” I steam, “And who cares if she likes to read? A lot of people do.”

“And her hair...”

“Shut it, Dominic.”

Who cares if her hair is all messy? Who cares if she’s not that fashionable? Not me. I like those facts about her. It proves that no one’s perfect. I also like the tiny little freckles on her nose, and how her glasses perfectly frame her face, and how her laugh is just so adorable...

“So what are you gonna do about it?” He challenges.

I sigh, and say, “I’m gonna kiss her.”

---

School just ended, and it’s a cold December afternoon. We’re bundled up in jackets and scarves, and Harper is still bragging on how she’s going to set up a romantic little date for Caleb and I. I’m just too embarrassed to admit that I shouldn’t have told her in the first place. I swipe on some chap-stick, which makes my lips start to tingle, and sends a fresh, minty scent through my nostrils. I shiver, and regret that I didn’t put on that extra jacket this morning.

Suddenly, up comes Dominic, and I start to get more and more nervous when I notice that Caleb is with him. Dominic goes up to Harper, and as she kisses him hello, I nervously bite my lip.

---

She’s so cute when she bites her lip.

---

“Uh...hi,” I manage, regretting how unsure I sound.

“Hi yourself.”

I think I’m blushing, and try to hide it by covering my face with some of my wavy brown hair.

“So...um...did we have any homework in chemistry?” What a stupid question.

He takes a step closer, and my heart starts to pound against my chest at full force.

“Don’t think so,” he says, a cloud of mist escaping his lips.

I start to blush deeper just thinking about his lips.

---

Now’s my chance. It’s now or never, and I won’t have another shot at this.

I take another step closer towards her, hands shaking. I don’t say anything, and just gaze into her eyes, which are sweet and warm and comforting. On pure impulse, I lean my head in, and when our faces are inches apart, I whisper,

“I love you.”

I just pull our lips together, not caring what the outcome will be. It’s like some magnetic attraction, our kissing, for our lips seem to fit together just right, like puzzle pieces. My hands, covered in gloves, are on her cheeks, but her lips haven’t done anything yet. I’m starting to think that I shouldn’t have done this.

---

Oh my god oh my god oh my god.


The kiss is pure magic, just like I was hoping it would be. It’s one of those toe-curling, head spinning, fantasy kind of kisses, the kind that only comes once every few lifetimes. His lips are just so soft and warm and pleasant, and then, I realize, I haven’t kissed him back. So I do, and I can feel his shock that now I’m kissing him too. My insides are burning up, but not in a bad way, but rather completely being warmed against the cold. This is what it feels like to be in love, I’m sure.

---


When I finally pull away, chest heaving, we just look into each other’s eyes, smiles on our faces. I can hear Harper gasping, and Dominic laughing, but I don’t really care.

“So, uh, want to hang out sometime?” I ask, hesitantly.

“S-sure,” she gasps, blushing.

After exchanging numbers, we both wander our separate ways, and I still can’t believe that I did it after all of these years. Dominic gives me a pat on the back.

“Nice job, bro.”

---

“Oh my god...he kissed you! I can’t believe it! We’ll be talking about this for years!”

I laugh, grinning ear to ear. I keep replaying the kiss in my head, over and over and over. It was the epitome of magnificence. It couldn’t have been better.

I get a text, seeing that it’s from Caleb. I wonder why he texted me so soon.

It reads:

“That was my first kiss too. ;)”


The author's comments:
This is the new and revised version of 'Virgin Lips'. I hope you enjoy! :)