Let’s … | Teen Ink

Let’s … MAG

By RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho
RedheadAtHeart ELITE, Mountain Home, Idaho

Love with open hands. - Madeleine L'Engle

“Let's do something together,” you say.
“Like what?” I ask.

“Well,” you say, “let's sit and talk on the stone steps after church and laugh about everything and nothing at all. Let's have it be a pure accident. Opportune circumstances. And let's have it be beautiful.

“Let's get up regretfully and bid each other good-bye, with promises to talk again next week. Let's gaze wistfully after each other as we depart.

“Let's make it a habit throughout the summer to talk and laugh on the stone steps after church. Let's look forward to our weekly banter, and let's wonder what the other is thinking as we anticipate seeing each other again.

“Let's be sitting and talking together one Sunday, and let's both be slightly disappointed when I mention that I'm going to my cousin's wedding in Green Bay, and after that I'm spending two weeks in northern Minnesota at camp. Let's say we'll miss each other.

“Let's have a joyful reunion when I return and a long, heartfelt discussion on the church steps. Let's say honestly that we missed each other.

“Let's go slowly into the new school year, always remembering to have our hour on the church steps together. Let's sit out there even on the worst snowy days.

“Let's let time go by, a year or two, and in all that time let's not let our friendship fade. Even as you go to college and I go who-knows-where, let's remain friends.

“Let's keep in touch. Let's one day – even though I have a job by then – get together and hang out, maybe sitting on the stone steps of a church somewhere else. And let's talk for a while, but after another while, let's realize that neither of us feels like talking. So let's sit in silence.

“Then let's kiss. Let's make it beautiful and heartfelt and true. And let's know that we're in love.

“Let's be happy, secure in the knowledge that we were made for each other. Let's let time and life bring everything they've got, while we weather the storm together.

“Let's date. Let's be happy and funny and enjoy each other. Let's walk along beaches and city sidewalks and country roads holding hands. Let's laugh and tease and steal kisses and smile wide when we see each other. Let's be in love.

“Let's be together, some summer night, sitting perhaps on some stone steps, though maybe not of a church. Let's be sitting there, silent like we sometimes are, and then let's both know something special is about to happen.

“‘Let's get married,” I'll say. You'll agree. So let's.

“Let's get married in the church where we met, surrounded by everyone we love. Let's stand in front of the church and forget about everyone else while we promise our lives to each other.

“Let's live in a tiny cottage on the coast of northern Maine. Let's be young and happy and carefree. Let's just live, working a little and playing a lot, like young people tend to do.

“Let's have a crowd of beautiful children. Let's read to them and sing to them and teach them to be good people. Let's sneak into their rooms when they're asleep and marvel at how miraculous they are.

“Let's watch them grow up, survive their adolescence and our midlife crises, and come out the other side wishing they hadn't grown up so fast. Let's quietly live alone again in our northern Maine cottage, just us two, like it was before.

“Now,” you say, “let's come back to now. Let's hold hands. Let's pray that God and your cancer won't take you away from me too soon.”

“Even if they do,” I say, “you know where to find me.”

You smile. “Where?” you ask.

“Right with you,” I say. “Where I've always been.”

Your smile fades. “But you won't be,” you say sadly.

“Says who?” I ask, struggling to sit up in my hospital bed. “You once said, ‘Let's do life together.' So we are. Even if I'm not there the whole way, we are doing it together.”

You smile through tears that cloud your eyes. “Let's,” you say.

antea GOLD said...
on Mar. 13 2017 at 12:55 pm
antea GOLD, Tirana, Other
Awwwwww, this is a really amazing story!!1

on Feb. 4 2016 at 3:44 pm
Holo-the-Wise BRONZE, Farmington, New Mexico

Remember the lesson, not the disappointment

This is quite possibly the BEST story I have ever read. I'm balling my eyes out.

Beila BRONZE said...
on Feb. 19 2015 at 5:38 am
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

How? Just how? As I read your story, I fell in love the way you fall asleep... slowly, and then all at once. :) I think you get the point.

on Feb. 9 2015 at 4:13 pm
I. Am. Crying. ...Look, I know I'm just some girl on the internet. And the fact that I'm crying doesn't mean anything to you. But it means something to me. I'm still trying to calm down. And you? You deserve a noble prize. Because I haven't cried since my best friend died. Of Cancer. Almost a year ago. And I'll miss him until the day I die. Thank you.

on Sep. 26 2014 at 11:43 am
micshea99 PLATINUM, Matthews, North Carolina
I'm crying oh my gosh

Bri_163 SILVER said...
on May. 22 2014 at 12:14 pm
Bri_163 SILVER, Fontana, California

The worst part about being lied to is knowing you weren't worth the truth.

My life is this story right here... im losing the one i love. i dont know if you realize it, but your an incredible writer and literally made me just cry through my entire math class. become a writer, be free and write whatever comes to your heart. becuase it seems to be working for you so far(: thank you for making my day, and giving me a story to relate to 

on May. 3 2014 at 4:43 pm
NeverjustOne BRONZE, Eugene, Oregon
beautiful.

Anngelllll_ said...
on Apr. 21 2014 at 12:34 pm
Anngelllll_, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

Love is louder than the pressure to be perfect

Oh my god! When you brought up cancer, my heart dropped! This was so heartfelt and beautiful, I loved how well you played their love story, and how they truly did love each other to death. Well done!

on Apr. 18 2014 at 1:16 am
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Oh gosh, when you brought up the cancer I just broke down. This is so just amazing. I'm really really pleased with this; it's sweet and heartfelt and sad and bitter... Everything. Very cool. I love this.

on Dec. 21 2013 at 3:10 pm
GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

I love it, it's a great peice of artwork :)

Ahhni PLATINUM said...
on Nov. 21 2013 at 11:13 am
Ahhni PLATINUM, Battle Creek, Michigan

"Your naked body should only belong to those who fall in love with your naked soul."
- Charlie Chaplin

Ohmy! Of course (: you are so very welcome.

on Nov. 20 2013 at 10:01 pm

Oh my goodness! That is the best compliment I have ever received. I love John Green. Thank you so much!!

Ahhni PLATINUM said...
on Nov. 20 2013 at 9:08 am
Ahhni PLATINUM, Battle Creek, Michigan

- Charlie Chaplin

This is absolutely incrediable! I'm so overjoyed with the outcome of your story. It reminds me of The Fault in our Stars. Very beautifully romantic but also heartfelt and deep.     

Ahhni PLATINUM said...
on Nov. 20 2013 at 9:06 am
Ahhni PLATINUM, Battle Creek, Michigan

- Charlie Chaplin

on Nov. 10 2013 at 5:51 am
Shaas_It_is.. BRONZE, Udupi, Other

Happiness presents itself before man with a crown of sorrow. He who accepts it must accept both.
-Swami Vivekananda

Don't be led by your problems. Be led by your dreams.

Its beautiful!!! Just beautiful!!! I love it and i'm in love with the world of possibilities!! We just need to have faith!! You are 'AMAZING'!!

on Oct. 5 2013 at 10:08 pm
theblondechick GOLD, Kingsport, Tennessee

I want to live and feel all the shades, tones, and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life.
And I am horribly limited.
-Sylvia Path

This by far the most beautiful thing I've read on teenink so far! Is it just me, or did it remind you of a Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

W.D.Laurin said...
on Sep. 11 2013 at 6:53 pm
W.D.Laurin, Albuquerque , New Mexico

When life hands you lemons, make orange juice and leave the world wondering how you did it.

This is so beautiful!!!!

Gaella GOLD said...
on Aug. 26 2013 at 10:49 pm
Gaella GOLD, Delray Beach, Florida

what goes around comes around

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW i love this poem...it is really deep and heart felt...tears tears of joy...keep it up :)

on Jun. 20 2013 at 11:33 pm
Snow_White BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut
I love this piece so much I can't explain it

on Jan. 27 2013 at 9:33 am
loveiduckies BRONZE, Perrysburg, Ohio

"When writing the the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Aww that was so creative and sweet. I really liked how creative it was. Nice job