Let’s … This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

“Let's do something together,” you say.
“Like what?” I ask.

“Well,” you say, “let's sit and talk on the stone steps after church and laugh about everything and nothing at all. Let's have it be a pure accident. Opportune circumstances. And let's have it be beautiful.

“Let's get up regretfully and bid each other good-bye, with promises to talk again next week. Let's gaze wistfully after each other as we depart.

“Let's make it a habit throughout the summer to talk and laugh on the stone steps after church. Let's look forward to our weekly banter, and let's wonder what the other is thinking as we anticipate seeing each other again.

“Let's be sitting and talking together one Sunday, and let's both be slightly disappointed when I mention that I'm going to my cousin's wedding in Green Bay, and after that I'm spending two weeks in northern Minnesota at camp. Let's say we'll miss each other.

“Let's have a joyful reunion when I return and a long, heartfelt discussion on the church steps. Let's say honestly that we missed each other.

“Let's go slowly into the new school year, always remembering to have our hour on the church steps together. Let's sit out there even on the worst snowy days.

“Let's let time go by, a year or two, and in all that time let's not let our friendship fade. Even as you go to college and I go who-knows-where, let's remain friends.

“Let's keep in touch. Let's one day – even though I have a job by then – get together and hang out, maybe sitting on the stone steps of a church somewhere else. And let's talk for a while, but after another while, let's realize that neither of us feels like talking. So let's sit in silence.

“Then let's kiss. Let's make it beautiful and heartfelt and true. And let's know that we're in love.

“Let's be happy, secure in the knowledge that we were made for each other. Let's let time and life bring everything they've got, while we weather the storm together.

“Let's date. Let's be happy and funny and enjoy each other. Let's walk along beaches and city sidewalks and country roads holding hands. Let's laugh and tease and steal kisses and smile wide when we see each other. Let's be in love.

“Let's be together, some summer night, sitting perhaps on some stone steps, though maybe not of a church. Let's be sitting there, silent like we sometimes are, and then let's both know something special is about to happen.

“‘Let's get married,” I'll say. You'll agree. So let's.

“Let's get married in the church where we met, surrounded by everyone we love. Let's stand in front of the church and forget about everyone else while we promise our lives to each other.

“Let's live in a tiny cottage on the coast of northern Maine. Let's be young and happy and carefree. Let's just live, working a little and playing a lot, like young people tend to do.

“Let's have a crowd of beautiful children. Let's read to them and sing to them and teach them to be good people. Let's sneak into their rooms when they're asleep and marvel at how miraculous they are.

“Let's watch them grow up, survive their adolescence and our midlife crises, and come out the other side wishing they hadn't grown up so fast. Let's quietly live alone again in our northern Maine cottage, just us two, like it was before.

“Now,” you say, “let's come back to now. Let's hold hands. Let's pray that God and your cancer won't take you away from me too soon.”

“Even if they do,” I say, “you know where to find me.”

You smile. “Where?” you ask.

“Right with you,” I say. “Where I've always been.”

Your smile fades. “But you won't be,” you say sadly.

“Says who?” I ask, struggling to sit up in my hospital bed. “You once said, ‘Let's do life together.' So we are. Even if I'm not there the whole way, we are doing it together.”

You smile through tears that cloud your eyes. “Let's,” you say.

Bri_163 said...
today at 12:14 pm:
My life is this story right here... im losing the one i love. i dont know if you realize it, but your an incredible writer and literally made me just cry through my entire math class. become a writer, be free and write whatever comes to your heart. becuase it seems to be working for you so far(: thank you for making my day, and giving me a story to relate to 

neverjustone said...
May 3 at 4:43 pm:
beautiful.

Anngelllll_ said...
Apr. 21 at 12:34 pm:
Oh my god! When you brought up cancer, my heart dropped! This was so heartfelt and beautiful, I loved how well you played their love story, and how they truly did love each other to death. Well done!

TaylorWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 18 at 1:16 am:
Oh gosh, when you brought up the cancer I just broke down. This is so just amazing. I'm really really pleased with this; it's sweet and heartfelt and sad and bitter... Everything. Very cool. I love this.

GreekGoddessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love it, it's a great peice of artwork :)

AhhniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:08 am:
This is absolutely incrediable! I'm so overjoyed with the outcome of your story. It reminds me of The Fault in our Stars. Very beautifully romantic but also heartfelt and deep.     

RedheadAtHeart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:01 pm :
Oh my goodness! That is the best compliment I have ever received. I love John Green. Thank you so much!!

AhhniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:13 am :
Ohmy! Of course (: you are so very welcome.

Shaas_It_is..This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:51 am:
Its beautiful!!! Just beautiful!!! I love it and i'm in love with the world of possibilities!! We just need to have faith!! You are 'AMAZING'!!

theblondechickThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This by far the most beautiful thing I've read on teenink so far! Is it just me, or did it remind you of a Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks

AustinJuly said...
This is so beautiful!!!!

Gaella said...
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW i love this poem...it is really deep and heart felt...tears tears of joy...keep it up :)

Snow_White This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 20, 2013 at 11:33 pm:
I love this piece so much I can't explain it

loveiduckies said...
Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:33 am:
Aww that was so creative and sweet. I really liked how creative it was. Nice job

Ghostly-RoseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This was a beautiful piece!! The ending made me cry but it was beautiful nonetheless!! I LOVE IT!!

Aderes47This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
AWWW This is so sweet and cute! :)

Anna A. said...
A touching masterpiece.

AmaranthiniumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is a very wonderful story. :) The ending had me tearing up!

Emma190 said...
Made me cry a little. I have a best friend who just got through cancer this summer and he and I talk all the time about the silly little things I imagine they chat about on the stairs. That was BEAUTIFUL.

WishUponAStar said...
that was awesome. i loved it. thank you. :)