The Letter I'll Never Send | Teen Ink

The Letter I'll Never Send

By Thatpartofme BRONZE, Somewhere, New Hampshire
Thatpartofme BRONZE, Somewhere, New Hampshire

Dear You,
There are two types of letters in this world, ones we write and then send the next day, and ones we write and never intend to actually mail, this letter is one of those. I’m going to write this, tear it out of my notebook, then hide it somewhere where nobody will ever find it.
Because the thing about letters people never send, is that they usually tell the truth about everything, and sometimes the truth is best kept a secret.
That’s right. I’ve kept a secret from you. It’s the first and only one, I promise. You could ask me any question, except for one, and I’d give you a straight answer. I trust you, you know that. I tell you things I don’t tell everybody else, and now that we’re older, and going through some confusing times, I tell you everything. Because when I’m with you, this crazy world makes a little more sense, and things that hurt, don’t hurt as much. You tell me the things I need to hear, listen when I want you to, and most importantly, make me laugh when I just want to cry.
But that’s why I’ve kept this secret from you. Because once I say it, there isn’t any going back. Once you know it, the way you see me will be changed forever, for the better or for the worse, and there’s nothing I can do about that.
Your view of me could change for the better, to exactly what I want it to be, and then my wish would come true and we’d both me glad I told you. Or, your view of me could change for the worse, and you might start pushing me away, whether you meant to or not, and we’d both end up wishing I hadn’t said a word.
But, I have to tell you. Even if it’s only in a letter I’ll never send, so, here it goes: I like you, no, actually, I love you.
I always have. At first it just as a friend, and later on a brother, but not now. Now, it’s so much more.
There, I’ve said it. I’ve actually said it. You have no idea how many times I’ve tried to tell you, only to hold back, or have you misunderstand. Every time I said “I trust you”, “You’re one of my best friends”, “You made my day”, “Call me”, “You’re the best”, I was actually saying “I love you.”
If you didn’t see it, that’s ok. We’ve been just friends for so long there was no reason to be looking for it. That’s the reason I’ve kept quiet for so long. Our friendship means the world to me. I hated the thought of risking it, even if there was a chance to gain something so much more, because having you just a little bit is better then not having you at all.
Our friendship has helped me through some of the craziest times in my life. If I had never met you, I honestly don’t know where I would be right now.
You make me a better person. It’s because of you I can get up and fight another day. You have taught me so much, most of it without even meaning to.
I know to everyone, including you, it looks like you’re just my best guy friend, a sort of adopted brother, and the boy I’m actually in love with is somebody else. That’s all wrong. There isn’t anybody else, and I don’t think there ever will be. I love you. I want you.
Whenever you text me, or say my name, or I make you laugh, or you tell me your secrets, my whole world stops, because it gives me hope that someday I’ll be more then just your best friend.
They say all is fair in love and war, but really, there’s one unspoken rule: you can’t fall in love with your best guy friend, unless, of course, he loves you back...
So, that’s what this all comes down to. Do you love me back? Do you feel the same way about me? If you do, just say so, and I will be there with you. We can stop walking in circles and getting our hearts broke. We can stop hurting and lying awake at night worrying. We can stop playing games and pretending not to see the obvious.
If you love me back, I’ll never leave you, never let you go. I swear, no matter what happens, I will never break your heart. Because the truth is, you mean more to me than anybody else in this whole entire world.
But, if you don’t love me back, that’s alright, because I love you enough to let you go too.
I’ll take it as a sign that we aren’t meant to be, and I’ll find a way to move on. But please, please, please, still stay my friend. We don’t have to be best friends anymore, but please, don’t leave me. I promise I won’t try to change your mind, I need you in my life, at least just a little. I couldn’t bear loosing you altogether and being the cause for it, because the thing is, I need you.
I really, really, need you. And it wasn’t until I thought about loosing you that I realized just how much I needed you in my life. You’ve always been there for me, even when nobody else was. You’re the only boy I know who’s never hurt me, not even once. If I’m half the friend you’ve been to me, I’ll be happy.
So, now my secret is out. I’ve done my part. The rest is up to you. You get to choose how our story ends, and whatever choice you make, I’ll trust you.
Love,
Me

RandiRose SILVER, New York, New York

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.

I love this!!! Check out my Songs Of My Heart poem, about pretty much the same thing. =D  

RandiRose SILVER, New York, New York

Amazing!!!!! :')

Thank you sooooo much!  Yeah, it's difficult to have a crush on your best guy friend!!  I honestly don't know what to do half the time...hahaha.  Writing this letter was incredible though.   Good luck to all of you!  Who knows maybe it'll turn out just how we hope it will!

ILYx3 said...
ILYx3, Sydney, Other
Its amazing bro <3 Great work. This is exactly what i wanted to do. I got a really good friend at an online game. I liked that guy alot, in fact i think about him when i wake up and when i fall asleep. He probably doesn't feel the same way, but i actually wrote a letter (addressing to him) that i would never send or show it to him, cause it might change our relationship completly, and i dont want that. I really love the guy so the unsent letter was really helpful since i can tell my feelings out without the guy actually reading it.

dancing.inthe.rain GOLD, Bowling Green, Kentucky

"We all fear death and question our place in the universe. The artist's job is not to subcome to dispair, but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existance." -Gertrude Stein in the movie Midnight In Paris.

i love this! this is excatly how i feel about my relationship with my best guy friend.

on Dec. 3 2011 at 9:48 am
PurpleRockstar GOLD, Lexington, Kentucky

A creative person has to create. It doesn't really matter what you create. If such a dancer wanted to go out and build the cactus gardens where he could, in Mexico, let him do that, but something that is creative has to go on. --Katherine Dunham

That was so good! I love it! Amazing! I think a lot of people can relate to you, I know I can. =}

on Dec. 2 2011 at 11:30 am
Felicity13 BRONZE, Somewhere, New Hampshire
Loved it!  p.s. I think you should send the letter!

on Dec. 2 2011 at 11:23 am
Thank you sooo much, everybody!!  :) 

GingerKarls SILVER, ......, Louisiana

"Let everything you do, be done in love." 1 Corinthians 16:14 <3

Oh my gosh, that's so good! I can tell you really put your heart in it(:

on Dec. 1 2011 at 11:51 am
stephie95 PLATINUM, Tripoli, Other

i enjoyed reading it , it's really good :D

on Dec. 1 2011 at 10:48 am
toto1601 BRONZE, Springs Co., Colorado

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde

“You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
― Dr. Seuss

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”
― Maurice Switzer

WOW... This is amazing... I really enjoyed reading this