Winter (Chapter One)

By samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York
samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York

So when he asks, "You love me. Real or not real?" I say, "Real."
-MOCKINGJAY

Monday, November 22nd

I look up at the snow slowly falling in beautiful arcs around me. I lay down on the ground, staring up at the sky. A cold flake lands perfectly on the tip of my nose, and my eyes cross trying to watch it melt on the heat of my skin. I sigh in pleasure.

“Are you okay?” someone shouts, and I hear hurried footsteps rushing my way. I sit up quickly, brushing snowflakes out of my blond hair, and look up. It’s a boy, about my age, with dark brown hair, and light brown eyes, which were full of concern. His bangs hang in his eyes.

“Yeah,” I say shyly. “I’m fine, thanks. I was just…” I lay back down, staring up at the sky again. “Enjoying the view, I guess.”

“Cool,” he says, and lays down next to me. “I like doing that, too, but my folks usually think I’m crazy.” He laughs. “They’re all about the material possessions.”

I laugh. “Isn’t…” I stutter, then cough and try again. “Isn’t everybody?”

He grins at me, the tips of his bangs collecting bits of snow, perfect crystals balancing on our faces. “I guess we are,” he says, looking up at the slow moving clouds.

“If only we could be more like clouds,” he comments, at the same time that I say, “Clouds are so much more peaceful than us.” We look at each other and laugh simultaneously, which makes us laugh harder. A bunny hops over to us, laughing in the snow, and watches us disdainfully for a few seconds. Then the boy, sensing the animal’s presence, jumps up.

“Boo!” he yells, and the rabbit bolts away, into the ring of trees encircling us. He grins, then turns back to me. “I never even got your name,” he says.

“Oh, right,” I say. He waits. I blush. “I’m Sara James. I live up the road, on top of the hill.”

He smiles at me, and reaches out his hand to shake. It’s warm, despite the cold flakes gathering on it. “I’m Kyle,” he says. “Kyle Nickolson. I live right down the street from you. Number 218. I remember seeing your house when I went for a bike ride this morning. It’s very beautiful.”

“Thanks,” I stammer.

He laughs. “Wanna maybe hang out this weekend? You can show me the inside of your elegant home.” He laughs. I nod eagerly, and he hands me his phone to put my number in. “I’ll text you later,” he says, looking at his watch. “But I’ve gotta go now.”

“Oh. Bye!” I call as he walks through the woods. He waves at me over his shoulder and disappears. I remember 218. It’s a tiny house with charm, but a bit of a fixer-upper. I remember when it went up for sale, thinking that it would have to be purchased by someone who could give it some TLC. I guess Kyle and his dad are those people.

I look down at my phone. I have a new text from my best friend, Megan. ‘Hey,’ it reads. I grin and reply similarly, then begin to jog through the snowy woods, following Kyle’s footprints back to the main road.

My phone buzzes again as I reach my driveway. ‘I’m coming over, and Mark is with me.’

I grin. Mark is Megan’s cute twin brother, with long blond hair and pretty blue eyes like Meg. I’ve had a crush on him since second grade, when me and Meg met, and she knows, often teasing me about it, and insists he likes me back.

‘Can’t wait,’ I reply, running up the hill into my house. I understand why Kyle liked it. It’s two stories, with the first five feet brick, and the rest a pure white. I can see my bedroom from the front, up on the second story.

“Hey, Mom,” I greet my mother as I walk in. “Meg and Mark are on their way.”

“Cool,” she replies. “You guys going down to Tony’s?”

My stomach rumbles at the thought of the warm, fresh, cheesy pizza. “Probably,” I admit. She nods in agreement, and I head upstairs, dropping my winter coat and boots off. I stare out my window for a minute, and see my friends pull into my driveway on their bikes. Meg waves up at me, and Mark grins.

“Hey,” I greet them, bolting downstairs as they opened the front door. “Wanna go to Tony’s?”

Meg closes her eyes and smiles dreamily. “Yum,” she says simply.

“I’m up for it,” Mark offers. He grins again at me, and I smile back.

“Let me get my coat,” I tell them. “Meet me outside.”

“I’ll come with you,” Mark suggests, following me upstairs. Meg laughs and rolls her eyes, then heads outside.

“My room’s a mess,” I apologize, pulling on my coat and boots again.

“It looks fine,” Mark says. “And… there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you, Sara.” He fidgets nervously, tucking his hands deep into his pockets.

“I’m listening,” I say, my heart pounding.

“Will… Will you go out with me?” he blurts out, then steps back, lowering his head. “Sorry,” he mutters.

“For?” I demand. “Of course I’ll go out with you. I’ve liked you since second grade.”

He looks incredulous. “Seriously?”

“Yep.”

“Same here,” he admits, laughing easily, more like the Mark I know. “So… are we officially boyfriend and girlfriend now?”

“I think so,” I say, grinning.

“Cool,” he says, and we head down the stairs. My stomach is rumbling, and my heart is fluttering.

This is the first chapter of book one in the series, Seasons of Love. Please rate and comment what you think! :)

on Dec. 4 2011 at 6:42 pm
samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York

-MOCKINGJAY

Thanks AJ. Did you read Chapter 2?

on Dec. 4 2011 at 5:12 pm
Allis-in-Wonderland PLATINUM, Cartersville, Georgia

"Sometimes people leave you...halfway through The Wood. Do not let it grieve you...No one leaves for good. You are not alone, for no one is alone." -Into The Woods

Extremely good! I loved the snowy descriptions!

on Dec. 3 2011 at 10:58 am
samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York

-MOCKINGJAY

Chapter two is up. :)

on Dec. 3 2011 at 10:57 am
samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York

-MOCKINGJAY

Chapter two is up, plz check it out. :)

on Dec. 3 2011 at 10:56 am
samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York

-MOCKINGJAY

Chapter two is approved. Plz check it out :)

on Dec. 2 2011 at 1:51 pm
Mortimer-Micheals-Jacob-Joyce GOLD, Edgar, Wisconsin

"And when I'm gone, just carry on, don't mourn
Rejoice every time you hear the sound of my voice
Just know that I'm looking down on you smiling
And I didn't feel a thing, So baby don't feel my pain
Just smile back"-Eminem

I'm gonna be the first to comment on it!

on Dec. 2 2011 at 1:14 pm
samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York

-MOCKINGJAY

Hey, if you'd like to check out chapter two, it's just been posted. :)

on Dec. 1 2011 at 3:27 pm
Prometheus PLATINUM, East Aurora, New York
Excellent beginning!  Can't wait to see where this goes.  Your writing style is impressive.

on Dec. 1 2011 at 2:54 pm
samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York

-MOCKINGJAY

If you prefer sci-fi I'd reccomend you read my story Shadowless. It's an unfinished novel but is posted on here. It also has a touch of romance but most of the story has a lot of action. Thanks for commenting. :)

on Nov. 30 2011 at 6:41 pm
HateKnuckle SILVER, Peru, New York
I like the way it reads. It reads just like a regular book and that is something I can't seem to do in my own work so I commend you. Its not my type of story since I don't read romance of any sort but it looks like you developed the story maturely. Its innocent just like mbrown106 said. Its a 5 star writing style with a 4 star story subject. I'll give it 4.

mbrown106 GOLD said...
on Nov. 30 2011 at 5:46 pm
mbrown106 GOLD, Warner Robins, Georgia

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

I loved the soft and sweet glow of the story. It was innocent, but not naive. The description of the snow was my favorite!

on Nov. 30 2011 at 5:44 pm
samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York

-MOCKINGJAY

Thanks so much. I'm glad you liked.

on Nov. 30 2011 at 5:43 pm
swiftheart GOLD, Houston, Texas

"If someone were to pay you 10 cents for every kind word you ever spoke and collect 5 cents for every unkind word, would you be rich or poor?"

I love your word choice especially and the way it all flowed.... Truly a work of a genious. 

on Nov. 30 2011 at 5:42 pm
swiftheart GOLD, Houston, Texas

I love the way you write.

on Nov. 30 2011 at 6:14 am
samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York

-MOCKINGJAY

Kityra can u meet up on teen ink chat at 3:00 I wanna add u on fb and forgot ur name...

on Nov. 29 2011 at 6:39 pm
samwich7 SILVER, Aquebogue, New York

-MOCKINGJAY

Thanks a lot.

on Nov. 29 2011 at 6:39 pm
reyess_anai BRONZE, Corona, California

"Every deep thinker is more afraid of being understood than misunderstood." Nietzsche

jealous all I can say

on Nov. 29 2011 at 6:38 pm

Just smile back"-Eminem

I'm just a guy who likes to write.  A lot.  Check out my work, most of it's pretty good.

behr1274 said...
on Nov. 29 2011 at 6:34 pm
behr1274, Wading River, New York

hi jake idk who u r but hi

on Nov. 29 2011 at 6:33 pm
KityraAnderson PLATINUM, Mercer Island, Washington

Nothing matters more than those who depend on you, emotionally or physically. Even if the situation is life or death, you have to be there for them, because they need you.

Oh no you didn't, behr....oh no you didn't...

I'm neither little nor stupid cuz I'm 13 and have straight As.

SUCK IT

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!