Breyson, Is His Name Ch.4 | Teen Ink

Breyson, Is His Name Ch.4

August 21, 2011
By Haley_Elizabeth GOLD, Wallingford, Vermont
Haley_Elizabeth GOLD, Wallingford, Vermont
12 articles 0 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Embrace imperfection rather than hide your flaws."


The next day wasn't as good as I had hoped. Breyson and I had our very first big fight. And it was about... Josh.

"I'll be back in a few hours," I said, holding my surf board.


"Where you going?"

"Josh and I are just gonna go surfing a couple miles down."

"Why a couple miles down?" He had attitude to his voice when he asked.

"Because," I said, getting a little annoyed. "The waves are bigger."

"Okay, Allison. Whatever you say."

Allison? Since when does he ever use my full name? That may be the first time since we've known each other.

"Brey. Whats your problem?"

"Nothing. Have fun," he said sarcastically.

"I will. And you keep having fun being an a**."

I left after I said this. I wasn't happy or proud of myself that I said it, but it just slipped out. And, it's true. He was acting weird. Was it just because I was going to be with Josh? Alone? Where he couldn't witness if we did anything? Whatever. If he didn't trust me, he didn't trust me. I trusted him because I loved him, and I thought he loved me, but now I was beginning to wonder if that was the truth.



"Hi."

"Hey, Josh."

"You okay?" he asked, actually sounding concerned, which was a new look on him that I've never seen before. A new look that I liked.

"Yeah. I guess so."

"I'm not convinced."

I smiled. "You're acting different today."

"Different?" He asked.

"Like... nice."

He laughed. "I'm not usually nice?"

"Um, not really. Well you are, but not this nice."

"I don't know. You just look sad. I don't like to see you upset."

"I'll be fine. It's just Breyson. No big deal. I'll handle it later."

"Breyson's your boyfriend, right?"

"I guess thats what you would call him. We haven't really discusted what we actually are, but yeah, my boyfriend."

Josh nodded.

"You know, he thought I was gonna get with you."

He guffawed.

"I know. He's stupid," I mumbled.

"Not really."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I would go out with you. You're gorgeous, and I just like hanging out with you."

"Really."

"Yeah, you ready to hit the water?"

"Yep, definitely," I said, thinking.


We surfed longer than I thought we would. Two hours turned into five. So by the time we got done, it was almost ten o'clock and dark. Josh walked me home, carrying my board for me.

He seemed different since the last time we talked. More mature. And I wanted to get to know the less chidlike him.

"Do you wanna go out tomorrow? Like as friends?" I asked him as we were nearing the house. "Maybe we can go to the drive-in. I heard they're playing one of the Final Destinations."

"Yeah. Sure. You should bring Breyson. I would like to get to know him, he seems cool." He sounded sincere.

"Great. I don't know if he'll be up for it, but I'll ask him." He handed me my surf board.

"Alright, I'll see you tomorrow," he said as I gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.


Breyson wasn't inside when I got home. So, I went outside, and sat on the sand, like I did every night.

About ten minutes later, he found me.

"Hey." He sat down next to me.

"Hey."

After a long time of no one speaking, I decided that I probably should. "I'm sorry about earlier. I just wish you would trust me a little," I whispered.

"I do."

"Really. Doesn't seem like it."

"I don't trust Josh," he clarified.

"Why not? He's a perfectly good guy." I raised my voice, then unraised it. "He was so nice to me today. He was worried about me." I paused. "He reminded me of you."

We just looked at each other. "Oh, and he wanted me to ask you if you would go to the movies with us tomorrow night. He wants to get to know you, he likes you."

"I don't think so," he said like a smart- a**.

"Whatever, Breyson. I'm done with your bullsh*t."

I went inside. All I wanted right now was my bed and thats where I was going.


I woke up at eleven the next morning... in the arms of Breyson.

"What are you doing?" I asked as soon as I realized what was going on. "Why are you in here with me?"

"Because," he sighed. "I'm sorry. I guess I just don't like you hanging with other guys when I know what they think about you."

"And how do guys feel about me?"

"They all feel the same way."

I starred at him until he elaborated.

"They all think you're hot, Alli. They all wanna get with you." He let out a breath. "Especially Josh."

"I know. He told me." I sat up.

"He... he told you?"

"Yeah. I told him that you thought he wanted to get with me, and he pretty much said that he would if he knew I would be up for it, but he knew I would never do that, and that he's just glad we're friends. He also said that he likes you." I looked at him. "Brey, he knows you're important to me. He wants to get to know you and I would really appreciate it if you would try to get along with him."

Breyson nodded. "Okay. I will, for you." He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me down to lay with him. "I love you." He kissed my hair.

"I love you, too."


Josh picked us up around ten that night... with someone to surprise me.

It was Violet.

Violet was my best friend from back home. We met in middle school and have been friends ever since. We kind of drifted apart in high school, but get closer everytime we see each other, since we don't see one another often.

"Violet!?"

She jumped out of Josh's vehicle, and smiled at me.

"What, are you doing here?" I hugged her.

"I called you're mom since you never gave me your new number, you b*tch." She giggled. "She said you were at the beach house, so I wanted to surprise you!"

"You did." I hugged her. "I've missed you so much."

"Me too. Now give me your number!"

I did, then we got in the car. Violet and I got in the back to catch up, and Breyson was a good boy and was behaving in the front with Josh.

"So, Alli," Violet whispered. "Lovin' the hottie." She pointed to Breyson.

"Breyson, is, um, his name."

"He yours?"

Yeah, for a few weeks now."

"Where'd you meet him?"

"A party." I smirked.



About an hour into the movie, Breyson and I slipped out to take a walk, and to see if Violet and Josh could hit it off.

Violet had only had one real serious boyfriend before, and that was when she was a senior in High School. His name was Brandon. They both decided that they should end it after graduation. He was going to college in Virginia and she was going to college in Texas. They knew eventually that it wasn't gonna work out.



The drive-in was at some park, so it was easy for Breyson and I to find some place to hang out for a while.

"You know, Josh likes Violet," he said reaching for my hand.

"Really? How do you know?"

"I just do."


Violet only spent two days with us. She couldn't stay any longer. She had plans with her mother to go see her extended family in New Jersey.

"It was a good couple days." I had said to her when she came to me to say good-bye.

She nodded. "You have to promise me that you'll text me every single day."

"I promsie."

"And," she started as she hoped in her car. "Keep an eye on Josh for me."

I smiled and said, "Of course."

Violet and Josh really did hit it of that night. They went on a few "dates," I guess you would call it. They went to the beach almost all day everyday. They really looked in love, thankfully they aren't, not yet at least.


After Violet left I went straight to the salty water. When it reached my knees, I stopped and stood there, starring at the seemingly endless waves.