Sugary Lemon | Teen Ink

Sugary Lemon

August 4, 2011
By Kgreg77 BRONZE, Strongsville, Ohio
Kgreg77 BRONZE, Strongsville, Ohio
3 articles 2 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And if our God is for us, then what could ever stop us? And if our God is with us, then what could stand against?"


“Shelly look! Look what Shawn sent me” Melissa whisper, yelled, shoving her Motorola in my face, during English class. It read…You’re gorgeous, you know that, right?…
I don’t know what I would do if you weren’t in my life. Melissa beamed with excitement, her heart springing out of her chest. Not gonna lie. I was salty. And felt awkward beyond belief. Melissa is my best friend, and I know that I should tell her that I like him, but she liked him for the longest time, and how jerkish would I be, if I now proclaimed to have all these feelings for him. He was supposed to be mine. We’d always exchanged glances in class. We had the best talks over the phone. He was my first guy friend. I could tell him anything, and he thought that I was the prettiest star to collage the night sky. But I guess my light lost it’s luster, I became another faint light in the distance. Every time Melissa received a text message, I would see Shawn look back, and smirk. Now I knew, that whenever he looked in our direction, he wasn’t paying much attention to me. It was Melissa he was looking at. I knew something was up, because yesterday after school, I tried to talk to him. But he didn’t seem all that interested into what I had to say. It was as if he had checked out. And I was still waiting for him at the front desk. Mrs.Robinson had just dismissed us from class. You could see everyone grab there book bags, and eagerly funnel out of the classroom. While I was gathering my books, and putting my papers in my folder, I saw Shawn look over in mine and Melissa’s direction out of the corner of my eye. I didn’t look at him, because I knew that he had to be looking at Melissa, and I didn’t want to look like an idiot. How embarrassing would it be, if I tried to make eye contact with him? However, I couldn’t resist the urge to look. And when I turned my head, he locked eyes with me and smiled. I felt so much better. I was still confused. I was hoping that he wasn’t trying to play anyone. But at least I knew that I still had my friend. It was all bittersweet.


The author's comments:
I was inspired to write this piece, because I know that so many people go through the same situation, in which they like the same person their friend likes. But when this happens, don't just think about the guy/or girl, keep your friends and their feelings in mind too. Because your friends (hopefully) will always have your back, no matter what happens.