"HOME"

It’s damp and rainy outside as the three of us walk; him, the other, and me. We walk home in silence. It’s not usually like this – I’m way more comfortable with him when she isn’t there. Getting home seems to take forever, but I don’t care when I’m with him. What I dread is her being with us, too. There’s never any time for us to be alone anymore.

We get to my house, and my dad isn’t home. I don’t have the new keys to the house. We’re still working on that. I have to wait for him or my mom to come home.

“Well,” she says, “I have to go. See you guys tomorrow.”

I pretend to be upset, and he makes it really clear he wants her gone. He never liked her; she’s always just been in the way. I say goodbye and she heads home.

“Well, this is nice.” He says to me after she’s out of sight.

I look at him with curiosity. “What do you mean?”

“We’re alone for once. We can talk.”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“Look,” he says and grabs my shoulders gently, “I love you.”

How odd that he said this to me all of a sudden. I’ve been waiting years for this moment, and finally, today, it has come.

“Really? You love me?” I ask.

He nods.

For the second time in less than two minutes he catches me off guard again as he lifts my chin up to his and presses his lips to mine. And though it’s freezing outside, I’d never been warmer. The second he touched my shoulder, heat spread throughout my entire body, and now as our lips danced and our bodies melded against each other, I know I’m home. No key needed. No need to wait. Right here, right now, with him…I’m home.

SilverLuna said...
This is very cute, and straight forward. I like it!(:

Cameandgonesmarty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 10:44 am
Thank you:)

Tayrodactyl said...
May 31, 2011 at 11:41 am
This is amazing. nuff said

aww thx so much