A Wedding and A Wonder

I can see it now; the church, the rows of seats. I can see the white orchids on the silk covered tables, and the candles that hang from the chandeliers, almost like they’re floating above. The curtains are soft and perfectly draped over the windows, letting just enough sunlight inside the room, falling gently across your handsome face. I imagine the sweetness of your eyes as the guests watch me walk down the isle, a walk too long for me to bear; a time too great to be apart from you. The bottom of my strapless dress flows from side to side as I step lightly to the beat of the piano. The pianist plays my march, and I’m wishing the song were faster so I could get to you sooner.
I reach you, and your eyes meet mine, and even through my veil, I can see the full blue of them, and you seem to see my eyes, too, and then, it’s like you read my mind; you take my hand and cup it in your own. Suddenly I feel so safe, yet so vulnerable, like a child with the protection of her parents, who knows there is only so much they can do to keep her from harm. This moment we’re in – it’s all about me understanding just how vulnerable I really am, and you knowing it, too. It’s about me trusting you with my soul and accepting the fact that, with the vow I’m about to give, I’m trusting you to guard it, knowing that you are the only one who has the power to fully destroy it for good.
Then, He speaks:
“Do you, my good man, promise to care for this woman for better or for worse? In sickness and in health? Do you take her as your bride?”
“I do.” This is all you say, yet my heart soars the moment I hear your voice.
He then speaks once more: “And do you, my fair lady, take this man as your lawfully wedded husband?”
I open my mouth to speak, and though my lips form the words, I can’t get my tongue to speak them. Before I can fully realize what’s happening, I burst into silent tears, and though I’m sure you’re all I want, I run back down the isle, past the old, wooden flight of stairs, and out the church door into the garden where I sit under a tree full with white blossoms. I slip my hands to my face, as if to hide myself from the world, and cry.
Until…I hear footsteps.
I see a figure standing in front of me; one that should feel betrayed – one that should hate me for embarrassing him. The figure of a man that should tell me right now that I have just ruined what should have been the best day of both of our lives. Yet, all this man does is sit next to me so that our elbows are touching. He looks at my veil-covered face and says to me in sweet whispers:
“You know I love you, baby; I always will – even if you decide to walk away right now. Even if you tell me that you hate me, and that you feel I rushed you into this. If that’s how you feel, then I am so sorry; I truly apologize. But babe, you’re all I’ve ever wanted, and I, being as weak a man as any other, just can’t seem to stay away. And I wouldn’t have it any other way, baby.”
I look right at him, straight into his beautiful blue eyes, and see that they’re covered in tears that are shimmering in the light of the sun. I want to tell him it’s not him, and that he’s not the reason I ran out of that church. I want to tell him he’s the most selfless man I’ve had the fortune to meet, and I’m so blessed to have him love me the same way I love him. I want to tell him he’s perfect – tell him he’s flawless in every single way, and there could never be another to match his perfection. I want to tell him that it’s not his fault that I got scared, and it’s just that life seems to be passing us by so fast that I panicked and didn’t know what to do. I need to tell him that I understand now that as long as he’s beside me, I don’t have to be scared of the future and what’s to come; whatever will be will be, and that the important thing is that we spend every moment together, in bliss. I want to tell him that I know now, thanks to him, what love truly is.
I choke on the words; they were too many, yet not enough, and it was then that I decided that no words would ever be sufficient. So, instead, I part my lips to say the simplest vow; the vow that I would keep as my burden for the rest of my life. I lift my head to his ears and whisper tenderly:
“I do.”

DoubleN said...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 9:08 am
this is amazing!

Cameandgonesmarty This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you!!!

enchanted4yu said...
Jun. 2, 2011 at 12:42 am
i love love love the beginning paragraph. I felt like it was straight out of a nicholas sparks book :)

WOW, really?! thank you so much!

After u said that i just had to go back and read it again for myself to see what you mean.

It's such an honour being compared to him thank you so much!

Much Appreciated,

Camelia