Not Your Average Story

The name’s Serena; I’m fifteen years old, live in the city, and work my butt of each day just like everyone else. I study, I exercise, and yeah, I sometimes can’t control my guilty pleasures – a.k.a ice cream – but I do try. I play the guitar, and I’ve read every book on Apple technology that there is, too. So, in general, I’m the average girl with normal obsessions, and everything going for her.

That is, I was.

I was…until he showed up.

Now, I’ve known him nearly my whole life, but a few years back, I don’t know, something just…hit me, I guess. It was like being a two-year-old child and having your first piece if chocolate all over again. Completely new, and so tasty, yet not satisfying enough; you keep on craving more, like no amount will ever be sufficient. Anyways, as I was saying…yeah, to be cheesy, “it hit me like a ton of bricks,” and BOOM – I was instantly in love.

See, I didn’t know at the time how much I actually liked him; I thought it was just a normal, harmless crush, and I was going through something every girl had gone through before me, and every girl would go through after my time, too. It was just an ordinary feeling that would be gone the next time my eyes caught onto someone else, right? WRONG. I’ve been stuck on him for nearly five years now. That is not normal.
What’s even more unusual is the way he makes me feel, and what he makes me do, unintentionally. The first time I talked to him after that feeling came over me I instantly wanted to know everything about him. I wanted to know his favorite color, foods, animals; I wanted to know how well he gets along with his siblings if he had any. I just wanted to get my hands on any information I could possibly get, and that was as simple as that. More than that, every time I saw him hurt, I hurt, and when he smiled, I smiled, too, and still do. I remember the first time I saw him cry, it nearly tore me to pieces, knowing that I couldn’t comfort him in any way. That was when I knew I had to get closer to him, no matter what it took, and I knew that, somehow, I’d get there.

We started laughing, exchanging notes, and all that regular stuff just like everyone else, but then, it just all started feeling so intense and it’s like we couldn’t handle it. I don’t think either of us realized at the time – I don’t think he’s realized it now, either – but I think we were both scared. Scared and afraid of what this could turn out to be, for better or for worse, friends to…what? Enemies? Lovers? More? So, with all this circulating, I think things just fell apart for a while. Sometimes, I would say that that’s all I could take and I just couldn’t handle things anymore, and sometimes, it’d be him. The hard part was thinking he wouldn’t come back chasing after me when I left; he always did. He always does, even now.

Just a reminder, by the way, that that’s just on a friendship based relationship, so obviously, you can see why I’d be worried now if it’s anything more. I mean, I could barely handle that…what if this thing actually means more to both of us and turns out to be more? It could go two ways; one: together, happily forever, and two: destruction of a friendship we’ve worked so hard to build. I mean, I love him more than my own life and I know it, and there’s no way on earth I could describe how I feel towards him in any other words so… is it worth it?

DoubleN said...
Jun. 8, 2011 at 8:56 am
I loved reading this! Fantastic!

CameandgonesmartyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 11:59 am
THanks so much!

Thank you so much!

Ashley1995 said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 7:45 am
I really enjoyed reading it well done :)

Jun. 11, 2011 at 11:59 am

Thank you

thedancingwriter said...
I love this! It's describes being new to love perfectly!

Thank you!

Yeah, that's what i was aiming for; being the girl who's new to love but she's so in love that she thinks she's found the real thing already and she's still young...:)

booklover104 said...
I love it, keep dreaming! =)

Haha, thanks, and I will keep dreaming.

TheScribe said...
This is so cool! I love it! Lol i have no critique--doesnt need it! :)

Thank you so much!