The Summer That Changed Everything (pt.6) | Teen Ink

The Summer That Changed Everything (pt.6)

April 27, 2011
By Tayrodactyl PLATINUM, Palmyra, Indiana
Tayrodactyl PLATINUM, Palmyra, Indiana
20 articles 1 photo 62 comments

I woke up the next morning feeling blissfully happy for once. I went downstairs and my grandma was making pancakes for me. Too many pancakes. I laughed at the giant stack she gave me, but ate most of them anyway. We sat at the large dining room table together. Kerry hadn’t woken up yet so she wasn’t there to glare at my breakfast.
“How did you sleep?” My grandma asked.
“Pretty great.” I lied.
“That’s good.” She absentmindedly looked at a magazine and sipped her coffee.


I hadn’t slept very well at all. By the time I got home it was one in the morning and I didn’t fall asleep until three. It was nine and my nana was coming downstairs in her chair thing (I don’t know what it‘s called). Seeing her in it made me think about the old man from the movie “Up”. I got up from the table and put my dishes in the sink. After my nana was settled in her chair I went upstairs and got dressed in the brightest clothes I had brought with me. A white shirt, purple skinny jeans, and my knee-high converse. I made sure that my hair looked good and woke up Kerry.


She wasn’t happy that I had disturbed her, but she got over it. She told me about her dream and how amazing it was, but I wasn’t really paying any attention. I was thinking about Ben. How could I not think about Ben? He was so incredible, unlike Damien. I sighed, and Kerry finally noticed I wasn’t listening. She let it slide, but I knew next time I wouldn’t be so lucky.


I got a text message around noon. It was from Damien. I read it somewhat reluctantly. It said that he wanted to meet up with me so we could talk. I thought about it for a moment before going downstairs to ask my grandma if Kerry and I could go to the pool. She said yes of course. I told Kerry she could go hang out with Jackson and that I would go to the pool alone. Kerry was more than happy to agree with this plan. She didn’t know that I wasn’t going to the pool.


I walked into the cool air-conditioned grocery store. I bought an Arizona Tea and walked back out into the heat. I smiled to myself as I walked the ten feet over to the waterfront. I saw a bench facing the water and decided it would be a great place to wait for Damien. I sipped my tea and watched the people around me carefully. There was a kid climbing a tree, a family having a picnic, a guy about my age riding a skateboard, and someone was walking towards me.


Damien. He smiled at me like nothing was wrong, like I hadn’t been ignoring him for the past day or two. He was wearing another black shirt, green pants, and he had dyed his hair again. It was green like his pants. I barely noticed this. I barely noticed him. How funny it was that I had been in love with him only a short time ago, and now I couldn’t care less about him. He sat down next to me on the bench and tried to kiss my cheek. I pushed him away.
“Hey… where’s my kiss?” He asked with disappointment apparent in his voice.
“Losers who say bad things about me behind my back don’t get kisses.” I answered with my sweetest smile.
“What?” He was “confused”.
“You know what. You were telling people at your school that I was so in love with you, and making fun of me.” I told him.
“Who told you that?” He got angry.
“None of your business. I only agreed to meet you because I wanted to tell you that I think you are a scum bag, and I never want to see your face again!” I shouted before storming off.


The author's comments:
I wish I had been strong enough to tell the real Damien this. Comment?