The Journey | Teen Ink

The Journey

By midnightelement SILVER, Queens Village, New York
midnightelement SILVER, Queens Village, New York

"This is who I've been hiding and she's dying to be set free"

Chap. 1

SHAY-
I’ve often wondered if she looked like me with big brown eyes, curly black hair, a light dash of freckles, a button nose, and a round face to top it off. I wonder what she would have been like, if she was kind or mean. I thought I would never know those answers, well that was before this letter. I looked at it and a sudden fear came over me, maybe I didn’t want t know who she really was.

“Hey”
I turned around to see my “neighbor” if you can call him that.
“Hi”
“What happened? Bill collectors came knocking?” he asked looking at my mail.
“Oh no” I said smiling. “I got a unexpected letter from someone”.
“Some dude from high school?”
“No they don’t write letters, they send text messages” I told him, at that he let out a round of laughter and I couldn’t help but join.
“That’s funny” he said “Good one”.
“Thanks, I try”.
“Ok so am I gonna see you on the track later?”
“Uh maybe” I told him, this letter I was holding could change my life forever so I had some thinking to do.
“Alright then, later” he said walking away.

I got back to my studio and tried to make sense of things. I sat down on the couch, I really didn’t know what to do with myself. As I sat there I started looking back on life without my mother. I had to be honest my life wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t the greatest either. I always felt like the odd ball, I look nothing like my adopted parents. They both have pale white skin, bluish green eyes, and light blond hair. When I look at our family photos my sun kissed skin stands our compared to theirs, my unruly hair and eyes where the most obvious. But because of their love I felt perfectly fine, and I still do I just have no idea why my mother would want to contact me now. I picked up the letter and decided to open it the same time my doorbell rang.

“dang it” I mumbled under my breath. I opened my door and saw my neighbor, I was shocked it also came to me that I didn’t even know his name.

“hi again” he said.
“hey” I whispered, “what’s up?”
“uh I don’t mean to be a pest but you dropped this” he said handing me a letter.
“oh thanks” he nodded and started to turn away. “wait” I said a little too loudly.
“yeah?”
“what’s your name?” I asked “I always run into you and you always invite me somewhere but I don’t know your name”.
“my name is Spencer” he said.
“Spencer, I’m Shay nice to meet you officially”
“like wise” he said smiling.

SPENCER- I tied my laces and grabbed a jacket, even though it was spring it was still chilly outside. I’m so happy got this apartment in a 3 story walk up, it gives me exercise even when I don’t want it. As I got to the bottom of the stairs I saw her standing by the mail box, I took a deep breath and walked towards her.

“hey” she turned and looked at me with those wild brown eyes.
“hi” she said.
“what happened? Bill collectors came knocking?” I asked. Bill collectors? I would have kicked myself if she wasn’t standing there. The conversation was a blur to me I heard her say some thing about texting and next thing I know I’m demanding her to come to the track. Oh man I must be losing it what if she says no?
“um maybe” she said.
“alright then, later” I said and walked away. I stepped out and realized that the weather was awesome, which meant I didn’t need my jacket. I swore under my breath and went back inside. She was gone but there was a envelope on the floor it must have been hers. I picked it up and it was addressed to Shay DeSanto apt 3b, I hit that she live right above me wow. Smiling I took off up the stairs to head to her apartment.

Standing in front of her door was the most nerve racking thing ever. I paced, took deep breaths, and tried to sound cool but wasn’t working. Finally I decided to count to ten and ring the door bell.
“1,2,10” I counted. The door opened and there she was.
“hi, again” I said.
“hey” she said softly. “what’s up?”
I told that I didn’t want to be a pest but she had dropped her letter. While I was speaking a look of alarm flashed across her face. She took it and said thanks, as I started to walk away she yelled
“wait”.
I turned and looked at her.
“what’s your name?” she asked, “I always run into you and you always invite me somewhere but I don’t know your name”.
“my name is Spencer” I told her.
“Spencer, I’m Shay nice to meet you officially” she said. I wanted to say that I already knew her name but I don’t want her to think I was stalking her or anything.
“like wise” I told her, and walked away.

it was on my mind for a while..