Ode to Hopeless Romantics

I set down the latest romance novel I had been reading. Four hundred and twenty-nine pages worth of events that would never happen in real life, especially not to me. Why was it that girls always fall for that kind of stuff? Romantic comedies are the worst. No way in real life does a bride call off her wedding in the middle of the ceremony just because her best guy friend comes parading in on a white horse, professing his love for her at the last minute. No, that just doesn't happen. As much as girls wish it did, it doesn't.
But why doesn't it? That is the real question. Why do people go to such great lengths to write novels or scripts about love affairs that just don't exist? Why would they be so cruel as to make all that stuff up and portray it as if it could actually happen? I don't know the answer. I'm not even sure if i want to know. All i know is that "love" always seems more romantic and magical either in print or on the silver screen.
Maybe authors and playwrites create this kind of stuff because they know that it doesn't happen in real life. Maybe they are putting all of their wildest fantasies onto paper so that hopless romantics alike around the globe can experience what real life, sadly enough, does not provide. Yeah, that makes sense.
And with that, i proceed to pick up another romance novel I have conveniently near by. If I am not able to experience any of this myself, then why not pretend?
Read on, hopless romantics, read on.

dncergrl87 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I told you, you were amazing! I love you lulu!!!!!!! we need to hang soon! :)

pelu! said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:55 am
I LOVE YOU LAUREL! you will become a writer some day

johnny cash 4 life said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:04 am

Love is a burning thing...and it creates a fiery ring!

Sorry haha this just reminded me of the song! Great article!

sunshineferdayz said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:55 am
dawg this is straight truth. legit. loved reading it. thanks for being honest homes

anaana said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:37 am
lulu this was lovely.

The Black Mamba said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:10 am
This writing is off the hizzzyyyyyyy. This is as true as Kobe being a ballerrrr. This author is a supa fly gangsterrr!

wawa304 replied...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:17 am

Whats your favorite part mamba? 

The Black Mamba replied...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:27 am
Yoyo what up wawa! i just luv how this writing is the straight truth with some xtra cheese on it. LOVE is something that all us people have to work hard for and make sure that everyone loves everyone. When this happens then its true love in the heart. Thats just my opinion, diggg.

charles mendenhall said...

That, that was just wrote, is the more real thing ive heard in a while and i dont know why people havent pointed this out before

Sweet Loaf said...
Guys don't need white stallions when they have dashingly good looks and fantastical personalities.

wawa304 said...
Wow this is deep, you are a good writer lulu92! I sense great things to come from this new upcoming writer! Keep it coming! 

krista09 said...
i feel the same way...but i just can't stop reading them:) great article!