Fireflies-chapter 4

recap:
I screamed as I fell. I could hear Annabell screaming and Caleb yelling as they fell after me. The only problem was...

We didn't stop falling.

Chapter 4:

"Urgh." I groaned.

"S-she's waking up." I heard Annabell stuttered.

"Good." I also heard Caleb. Wait. Did I faint when I fell? I could've sworn I was falling.

I opened my eyes and saw it was light out. How long was I out for? I looked up and realized Caleb was leaning over me. "What happened?" I groaned out as I sat up.

"I'm not quite sure. I am sure that we fell." he replied. "I think we fell unconscious and night passed. 'Course...." he trailed off as he looked around.

"T-this isn't our woods." Annabell finished.

I looked around as well and realized she was right. "So then.....where are we?"

"We'd have to explore to find that out." Caleb smiled at me. He held out his hand, "Are you okay enough to do that?"

I smiled back, grabbing his hand and letting him yank me up, "Of course I am. Now let's go."

-an hour later-

Holy cow this place was huge! "K-kyra." Annabell spoke up for the first time in a while.

"Yeah?" I answered over my shoulder, climbing over a root.

"I-i'm kinda thirsty."

"I am too. We should find some fresh water." Caleb agreed.

"Where do you expect to find water? This place is too big." I pointed out, still walking. We came around a large tree and walked into a large clearing.....with a nice clean stream running right through it. "Not....a word." I mumbled.

He chuckled, shrugged, and then walked to the water. "Too bad we don't have anything to hold it so we have it when we need it."

"W-why don't we just stay along the river s-so we can g-get a drink when w-we need it?" Annabell suggested.

"That's a good idea." I smiled at her. We all turned as we heard a gaggle of giggling behind us. Behind us, a group of girls came out of the woods, skipping through the knee-high grass over to the water, not noticing us. "Excuse me!" I called to them, walking toward them. They froze before sprinting for the trees again. I watched them and saw them disappear into the trees! Not like they ran in them and I couldn't see them. They actually molded into the trees!

"W-what were those girls?!" Annabell squeaked.

"They couldn't be-" I cut myself short.

"What were they?" Caleb asked.

"If they actually existed, they would be tree nymphs. They're kinda like tree spirits." I explained. "I must still be unconscious and you guys are just a part of my imagination."

"If we were part of your imagination, we wouldn't be able to touch you and you actually feel it, right?" Caleb asked.

"Riiiiight." I drawled out suspisciously.

"So then I wouldn't be able to do......this!" He finished in an exclamation, launching toward me and pulling me into a tight hug.

"Caleb!" I squeaked. "Lemme go!"

"Ok." He let go just as I pushed against his chest and I flew backwards, thudding onto my butt. Very attractive. (Notice the sarcasm.)

I got up and dusted my butt off. "Okay, so you're not part of my imagination, but that still doesn't explain where we are and how there are mythical girls around! Notice the emphasis on mythical which means that they're not actually real!" Okay, maybe I was panicking a little.

Caleb grabbed my shoulders and gave me a little shake. "Kyra! Calm down okay. We'll figure this out."

"S-so what do w-we do?" Annabell asked.

"We have to get out of here." he stated calmly.

"Not unless you know the way." a growling voice came from the woods.

"Who's there?!" I exclaimed, jumping in front of Annabell. The leaves rustled in front of us and out came.........a freakin' huge wolf! Now I knew for sure that something went wrong when we fell. Maybe we hit our heads really hard.

"These are not your woods, child. I should be asking who you are." I could tell it was a female wolf by its voice.

"I'm Kyra and this is Annabell." I said hesitantly.

"And I'm Caleb." Caleb spoke up, coming to stand next to me. "Who are you?"

"I am Alario. Now you must get out of these woods soon, you are not safe here."

"Whose woods are these? And how do we get back?" I asked.

"The highness has never given her name." Ok, so it was a girl ruling here or whatever. "And unfortunately, I do not believe you can easily get home."

"Why not?" Caleb questioned.

"Because you have to get something that is...in the castle. I do not know entirely what it is seeing humans have never wandered here before." she admitted.

"Where is the castle?" I asked.

"On the other side of the forest. Come, I will show you." She turned around and started walking.

"Should we follow?" I whispered to Caleb.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to eat you." she called from the woods. "I can hear you, child. Now follow me."

I started and Annabell and Caleb followed me. We quickly caught up until we were walking next to her large frame. My head barely came up to her shoulder! "How did you hear me?"

"Wolf ears, child. They are much more sensitive than human ears, as are our noses." Alario explained.

"You are much larger than the wolves in our world." Caleb commented.

"Our world?" I repeated.

He smiled at me, "I dont think we're in Kansas anymore Toto."

"You will see many things are different from your usual. Just because you do not see them does not mean they are not there, however." Alario advised, her voice sounding very wise.

"Like the tree nymphs?" I asked.

"Yes, child."

"K-kyra." Annabell spoke up, her tiny hand latching onto the back of my shirt.

"Yeah? What's up?"

"M-my feet are getting t-tired." she mumbled.

"Would you like to ride on me, little one?" Alario spoke up. Annabell nodded. "Then climb on." We stopped so that Caleb and I could boost her up onto Alario's back.

"You okay now?" I asked Annabell once we started walking again.

"Yes. T-thank you, Alario."

"You are very welcome, child." We began walking up a slope and after a few more minutes, stepped out of the woods and onto a large ledge. "There it is."

From up here, we could see the rest of the forest, a vast plain, a few things that looked like steam gysers, and finally, the castle. Caleb whistled in wonder. "That's quite a ways away."

"It is a rough journey and you will need a guide through it. I will help you."

"How are we supposed to get through everything? And how are we going to get the object from the castle?"

"You will no doubt have to fight. You will need weapons." Alario turned around and headed back. "I know someone who can help you get what you need for the journey. Come, night is falling soon."

"Why is that bad?" I shrugged.

She turned, her gold eyes sharp and piercing through me into my mind, or so it seemed. "There are things that come out at night in these woods that are better left unknown. Unless you wish to not be seen again, I suggest you quickly follow me. The sun falls quicker here than you may expect. Now come."

I looked over my shoulder and noticed that the sun was already almost at the horizon. We followed her through a different path until we came to a house. Before we stepped into the clearing around it, a noise came from behind me, but the others kept walking, not hearing it. I turned around to see it and saw some leaves rustle.

Two red eyes stared out at me. "Hey guys! Wait up!" I called, running after them. I caught up to them at the door. When I looked back to show Caleb the eyes......they were gone.

NKsunshine said...
Impressive! I loved this story, it has alot of depth--add on to it, I cnt wait to read more!!!