That 4 letter word | Teen Ink

That 4 letter word

February 13, 2011
By Cheekymonkey GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia
Cheekymonkey GOLD, Washington, District Of Columbia
14 articles 1 photo 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart.. i'll always be with you.”


What is love? That’s the question I’ve been trying to answer all day. Last night I had a dream that I told Katie I love her, and in my dream it felt right, but when I woke up I wasn’t sure. It wasn’t that I’m not sure how I feel about her, because that is clear. The problem is that I don’t know what the word means. It should be simple, its only 4 letters, 1 syllable, but it is almost impossible to define. I tried looking it up in the dictionary, but there are just too many definitions. Some seemed to match what I feel about Katie while others have nothing to do with it.

I tried to think about what it means to me but I couldn’t figure it out. I love my parents, I love my dog, I love chocolate, and I think I love Katie. The problem is that in each of those statements love means a different thing. I certainly don’t feel the same way about my parents as I do about my dog, and I would choose Katie over chocolate any day.

I have said I love you to girls before without really thinking about it, but this time it’s different. In the past I’ve said it to see their face light up and be able to say that I made them happy, but I never really meant it. It was always just a word. A word that I tossed around and never really gave much thought to. With Katie it isn’t that way. I care more deeply about her than I have ever cared about a person. I would do anything for her even if it meant bring harm to myself in order to protect her. But my question is, is that love?

The more I think about it, the less certain I feel. I simply can’t figure out what love means, but maybe that’s the answer. Maybe love is whatever you make it out to be. There are so many different types of love. There is my love for chocolate and there is my love for Katie. Neither of them is wrong. They are just different.