A Penny For Your Thoughts | Teen Ink

A Penny For Your Thoughts

By Kailey_H424 PLATINUM, Portland, Maine
Kailey_H424 PLATINUM, Portland, Maine

Treat others the way you want to be treated. (my mother)
I am, I am, I am (Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar)

I sat down on the curb of an empty street. The rain had slowed, along with the tears. My light-brown-dirty-blonde hair, which was once an impressive up-do of swirling curls, is now a waterfall of waves swooshing down my back. My one sparkling lavender dress is now a big, dark purple, mess; a lost cause beyond repair. My converse resemble the dress, with their slushy quality. They’re basically water in the shape of a shoe. My make-up is running down my cheeks. I must look like a raccoon, I thought. Just the thought of what I mess I must be made the tears fall all over again. Hot drops of water rolling down my face. The warmness of them the only difference between them and the rain.Then the memory of what had just gone down played back in my head, and there was no stopping the waterfall.
He said he would always be there. He promised he would always love me. He said a lot of things. He promised a lot of things, but he never came through. I knew I couldn’t trust him, they all told me at least a thousand times. All along I knew they were right, I just didn’t want to believe them. Our relationship was bound to come to end, I knew it, he knew it, but I didn’t want it to end. Sure, he never called on time, he was always late to pick me up, and he was constantly looking at other girls, but he was mine. He was like a rusty old car the didn’t run right, and backfired a lot. He was far from perfect, but I cared too much about him too see that. But, eventually, that rusty old car is gonna quit on you, and that’s just what he did when he left me tonight. I must’ve looked like a complete idiot sitting at that table, all alone, in a fancy restaurant, wearing a designer dress, my hair done up all special, make-up perfect, for a guy who never showed. He didn’t have to say anything, didn’t have to call, or talk to me or anything. Just not coming was enough to know that it was over. In that moment, when I knew he was way later than usual, I just knew. He was done.
The flashback brought with it feelings of anger and hatred towards him. I didn’t want that. I wanted to remember what we had a smile. But I couldn’t. Right now, all I could do was sit here, all alone, and cry. And so I did. I sat there and let out everything I had. Screaming, and kicking, and just yelling at the sky until I had nothing left in me. Then I sat back down on the curb and it hit me. I had nowhere to go. I’d left my phone at home, and I left my purse at the restaurant. Oh, god. I forgot to pay! I remembered. I guess I’d just left it there when I left. I rushed out of there so fast, I didn’t want anyone to see me cry. I needed a game plan. I needed money, and I needed to get home, or at least someplace dry. I was soaked to the bone. Suddenly, I heard footsteps behind me. I tuned around to see a boy with light brown hair, holding out his handkerchief and an umbrella. I walked up to him and stood under the umbrella. He offered his hanky, but I didn’t want it. He put it back in his pocket and pulled out something small and shiny. It was hard to tell exactly what it was in the dim evening light.
“A penny for your thoughts?” he asked, placing it in my hand.