The Awkward Smooth | Teen Ink

The Awkward Smooth

December 16, 2010
By heatherj2263 SILVER, Lenexa, Kansas
heatherj2263 SILVER, Lenexa, Kansas
6 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
There's nothing in the dark that isn't there still in the light


She was typing when he came into the room. He had had a hunch she was in here, even though everyone else had left for break. She hadn’t heard him come in, she was so engrossed in her work, so he leaned against the wall by the door and watched for a while. He wondered how long it would take her to notice she had an audience.

She would first type, then swivel in her chair for a few seconds, then rest her cheek in her hand as she thought about her next sentence. That’s the way she always wrote; meticulously crafting each phrase until the whole work flowed. He loved that about her work. It seemed effortless. She began to swivel in her chair again and reached into an open bag of M&M’s that was next to her. It was only then that he caught the corner of her eye.

He held his breath as he waited for her reaction after seeing him watching her. He supposed it could be interpreted as something stalker-like and he didn’t want to be a creep. But she smiled and held out the bag of candy, offering him some.

“You’re here awfully late.” Her voice was perfect. Not too low, but not too high, and the perfect volume.

“So are you.” He teased.

She smiled again. God, he could grow used to that smile. “I’m just staying here until the game starts. It seems a shame to waste gas to drive home for an hour and then come right back. Are you playing in the pep band?”

“Yeah.” He said, sitting in one of the chairs next to her. “I guess I’ll just hang with you then. I have nothing better to do.”

“Make yourself comfortable” she said before turning back to her writing.

He looked at her, but tried not to stare. There was nothing about her that a guy couldn’t like. She wasn’t the sort of girl who would stick out in the room as a full blown hottie, but she was quite beautiful. Slender figure, thick soft hair laying just right, gorgeous large green eyes. He tried not to seem like he was staring. He wanted to see her smile again, so he reached for two rubber bands sitting on the desk and began doing magic tricks. It worked. Her attention was caught. She smiled. He wanted to kiss her so bad. She turned back to her work.

“Dang it, I left my jump drive in my car.” She slapped the table lightly and got a cute exasperated look. “I’ll be right back.”

“Oh, well let me walk you there.” He sized his chance and then complemented himself as they walked out the door on his smoothness. As they stepped outside into the cold, he was that she had no jacket and was shivering slightly. It had started to snow, and she was wearing just a t-shirt like himself. He wished he had a jacket to give her. That would be smooth. But he didn’t have a jacket. Should he put his arm around her? Or would that be too straight forward? It would help keep her warm.

He decided: he would put his arm around her. He thought about the exact movement he would go through to maximize the smooth and cool effect. Now he just had to move his arm. His brain repeatedly told his arm to move, but it didn’t. Then they were at her car. She got her jump drive and they headed back inside. He had missed his chance to put his arm around her. God, he was an idiot!

She began working again and he tried to think of something to talk about. His eyes were drawn again to her slender figure. How he wanted to kiss her.